Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body Composition Scale @ Surgeon Office

Last week at my first surgeon appointment, they had me get on this nifty scale with no socks or shoes on. Afterward, the girl said 86lbs of me is fat...the remaining 159lbs makes up the rest of my tissues, bones and other internals. I sat there like... :huh: "Really?!" I'm 5'4", 245lbs, but kind of naturally built like one of those Clydesdale horses LOL I've never worked out a day in my life, but have quite a bit of muscle tone. Has anyone else had any experience with one of these scales? How accurate are they? Doctor wants me to do RNY, but if all I have to lose is 86lbs then that shouldn't take too much time, right? (possibly? maybe?)

7 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

Last week at my first surgeon appointment, they had me get on this nifty scale with no socks or shoes on. Afterward, the girl said 86lbs of me is fat...the remaining 159lbs makes up the rest of my tissues, bones and other internals. I sat there like... :huh: "Really?!" I'm 5'4", 245lbs, but kind of naturally built like one of those Clydesdale horses LOL I've never worked out a day in my life, but have quite a bit of muscle tone. Has anyone else had any experience with one of these scales? How accurate are they? Doctor wants me to do RNY, but if all I have to lose is 86lbs then that shouldn't take too much time, right? (possibly? maybe?)

I have one of these scales at home (and one at the surgeon's, of course). I can't remember what the one at the surgeon says, but looking at my phone tracker, my phone says I have 103.8 fat-free body mass and 97.6 muscle mass... which would be 44.8lbs of fat. But I have to lose 109 lbs to be at a normal body weight. I am 5'3 and 249.... someone who is 5'3" should be around 140 or less. It also says I am 58.3% body fat and normal is 26%. I wouldn't go by how much "body fat" it says you have, but whatever a healthy weight for your height and build would be. 86lbs would put you around 160, so that could be perfect for you coincidentally , given your build. I need to go a bit further than just the 44.8lbs my scale says. lol!

2 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I have one of these scales at home (and one at the surgeon's, of course). I can't remember what the one at the surgeon says, but looking at my phone tracker, my phone says I have 103.8 fat-free body mass and 97.6 muscle mass... which would be 44.8lbs of fat. But I have to lose 109 lbs to be at a normal body weight. I am 5'3 and 249.... someone who is 5'3" should be around 140 or less. It also says I am 58.3% body fat and normal is 26%. I wouldn't go by how much "body fat" it says you have, but whatever a healthy weight for your height and build would be. 86lbs would put you around 160, so that could be perfect for you coincidentally , given your build. I need to go a bit further than just the 44.8lbs my scale says. lol!

What scale do you have at home? I have one of those Fitbit Aria scales, but its been in the box over 2 years because I could never EVER get an accurate reading from it for my weight alone. It ended up pissing me off so I boxed it LOL I'm very interested in knowing my muscle mass without having to go get a DEXA scan.

Relatedly, I love my scale I got. It was super cheap on Amazon. And the weight is basically dead-on with the scale at the surgeon. The only thing that I remember that differs is the BMR, but whatever. It has bluetooth and syncs to your phone. It's a RENPHO scale.

Just now, mousecat88 said:

Here's what it tracks. Screenshot_20181211-092056_RENPHO.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Sweeeeet!!! Metabolic Age?! What app is that? Is it specifically for the scale itself?

Just now, Kimmie K said:

Sweeeeet!!! Metabolic Age?! What app is that? Is it specifically for the scale itself?

Yeah, it's an app you download when you get the scale. Metabolic age determines how efficient your body burns calories. It SHOULD be 2/3'rds of your actual age. So mine should be 20. O__O

But the BMR on this scale is not what the surgeon's scale says.. so it may not be calculating the metabolic age right. BUT... I'm pretty much just using it for weight/BMI/body fat tracking. The rest is just a random tidbit.

Here's what it tracks. Screenshot_20181211-092056_RENPHO.thumb.jpeg.26cfd176f2c9a0ed500083463e4c4d33.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is so cool!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

I dont think i ever did the body fat thing on a scale. Should i change out my scale and start measuring that?

31 minutes ago, Jazzy1125 said:

I dont think i ever did the body fat thing on a scale. Should i change out my scale and start measuring that?

I like it because it tells you how much of your weight is muscle and how much is fat. So, if I am still heavier than I'd like to be... but it's muscle mass... that's a good thing, versus it being body fat. All my personal trainers went by body fat percentage.

If anyone does get this scale, you gotta have the app open when you weigh yourself for your weight to sync. I forget to do that all the time and then my weight will decrease and I'll be like NOOOOOO it didn't record ittttt! lol. Sometimes it will still backup later mysteriously, but it's sketchy. You can also have multiple profiles, so multiple family members can use it.

Edited by mousecat88

1 hour ago, ttj3mom said:

What kind of scale is this?

RENPHO. You can search it on Amazon.