Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How will you handle Thanksgiving?

I feared my first Thanksgiving but it went well, my restriction so soon after surgery kept me on the straight and narrow.

This year i looked forward to it with more understanding of what i could expect from my body if i tried to much food or just to much sugar at one time. I still get nauseous if i eat to much sugar at one time so i can count on that reaction to tell me i am way over the line.

since i don't eat sugar on a regular basis everything taste even sweeter and a very small amount can feel like to much.

i will eat a small amount of all my favorites - turkey , ham, potato salad, even a forbidden dinner roll will find its way onto my salad plate today.

On Friday i will go back to eating meat and veggies and that will be that with no guilt.

Mostly i will spend the time talking to my Dad and Brother and my daughter and just letting the day slip away slowly without the normal pressures to get this done or that done.

Well Tomkitten fell asleep on 64th couch. I had such plans but I started upchucking somethi,g I could have handled before. This was a prolonged one, I hate the vomiting, really I dom But I also hate the fact that waves of chills come,over me. There I am, all wrapped,up and shaking. Originally I was going to make him a ham loaf,if I still put it in it will take an hour to get,done, a hour of smelling it, now crying because I want some, so very badly. My hungering mind writes checks my,body can't cash. How much longer can I go on like this , upchucking almost every evening? Dr,Noria wants me ingesting 90 grams Protein every day. Rough when it doesn't stay down. Am,I vomiting less out than what I took in? Am I somehow still in the positive column? I have been adding Protein Powder to Soups and liquids. Some people fear eating around it; I fear never being able ever eating with it. And this cowgirl is getting the blues. I am souped and brothed out.

The couch, I proofread my,postings, then after I start sending this phone changes wordings around. I'd sto0 using it but,its Verizon the only one with many GB. I'd log out and use the computer but I forgot my password to get back in, been so l8ng since I really logged out. Guess in bad mood.

Mine went well; turkey, tiny bit of mashed potatoes, tiny bit of yams, and like one bite of stuffing, lol. Skipped dessert. I was able to have enough bites of different things that I didn’t feel like I was missing out

This is the first time since my Grandfather died 8 years ago, that my grandmother is cooking dinner. She does deep south southern cooking that makes you slap your mama. Everything from scratch and she cooks everything you could imagine. Lucky me is still on clear liquids.. YEA! (sarcasm) I'm 6 days post op. Half my family is against this surgery and the other half don't care. So this should be interesting for me. But as far as what I will do, I will have a glass with my sugar free juice walk around and socialize and help with the kids and hopefully no one will notice me not eating. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.
You and me both!
We decided to attend an NFL football game so I wouldn't be stuck with all of 5he questions as to why I'm only dipping liquids while everyone os endulging on Turkey lol.
None of my family members know except for my husband. It wasn't and still isn't anybody's business but mine.
Stay strong sisita,it was hard for me but I got in some turkey flavored broth.< br>
Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanksgiving went well for me. I ate two bites of turkey, two bites of mashed potatoes, two bites of stuffing and then I was done. Later on I had a bite of pie for dessert. This is the least I have eaten on Thanksgiving. I didnt feel bad though. I'm starting to get the hang of it. At this point I feel like I may be far enough out that I don't feel like I'm missing out on food anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, I celebrated Thanksgiving with my extended family. We ate lunch at a buffet and I had some prime rib and a bite or two of salmon, a little bit of creamed spinach, and a few candied sweet potatoes. I ended with a little dab of pistachio and Cappuccino gelato. This is not how I've been eating and it was nice to have a little treat and also to not over do it. Honestly, while some may say this was not a good idea, I say I was successful.

We hosted a snack dinner at our house and I ate a little bit of smoked salmon, 1 chicken meatball on 1/2 of a King's Hawaiian roll, a little bit of brie cheese and three crackers. I also had three tortilla chips with some spinach artichoke dip.

I skipped the sweets and pies we had tonight and will push the left overs on my husband and kids until it is all out of the house LOL

I didn't write anything down today but I also know I ate more carbs and fat than I normally eat and probably a little less Protein. I did not eat to the point of feeling sick and I've had that happen to me once last week. I didn't get sick but I sure knew I had eaten too much and almost got sick. I didn't not want to experience that again so I was careful today with the amount I ate at each meal. I will get back on track tomorrow.

I ate Turkey first.. then followed it up with small amounts of the following: sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, green Beans, cornbread stuffing, and 1/3 of a crescent roll. By small amounts— I mean like two teaspoons of the sides. I had a little of everything, so I didn’t feel “cheated” or like I was missing out, I just kept my portions of non-plan stuff small.

Today I am back on plan. Protein and carb-light.

Did really well this Thanksgiving. Started with turkey and had small bites of veges and mashed potatoes. Got full pretty quickly but didn’t feel “left out” like I didn’t get to enjoy the meal. Wasn’t as bad as I expected.

17 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

this cowgirl is getting the blues

Frustr8, i am so sorry this is going so poorly for you at this moment. I hope you get past this time soon so you can enjoy the benefits of what you have done and not just deal with the down sides.

my thoughts are with you today and i hope it gets better going forward.

Thank you, this seems such a long time like this. Once I feared open surgical repair, now I think I would. welcome it! " Doctors , I am broken, PLEASE fix me today!"

I’m a little late to the party but I did Thanksgiving the Monday before. I cooked two turkeys, one Saturday, one Sunday. I cooked all the sides. I baked a double batch of pecan pie bread pudding. Along the way, I took tiny tastes to make sure my freelance/non-recipe cooking was on par. But that’s all. No real sampling. Each day I kept a Protein Bar or shake at hand and slowly ate them instead of the fattening food I was preparing.
Then, 30 minutes before Turkey time on Monday, I ate a Protein bar and filled my belly. I had room for only one small bite of three of my favorite dishes. Later I had a small piece of pie.
I sent every single leftover except a bit of turkey and two slices of pie for my husband right out the door with the kids and grands!
Not only did I not gain a thing, I’ve lost 2 more pounds since our Monday Thanksgiving!!!
Honestly, the protein bar a half hour before known temptation is such a great trick. My husb uses it, too. He’s doing so well...no surgery, just embracing my habits!

10 hours ago, Happy Sleever said:

You enjoyed your holiday and did fantastic! How are you feeling today? Are you craving anything? Congrats for not going berserk. Holidays were always tough of me so I’m glad I just had the surgery lol

Good question! Despite having some sweets (probably 1/4 cup of gelato, 1 bite of creme brulee, and a small taste of the topping from a pumpkin roll yesterday, today I was able to get back on track and have not had any sugar cravings. I also don't feel gross and was please to see the scale this morning. I know weight loss and gain doesn't happen in a liner fashion but it was nice to see that I lost a few ounces. I'm hoping that the scale will show the same or less tomorrow. I'm about 1/2 way to my goal!

Great! That has been my problem all my life. I would “mess” up one day and spend the next three months punishing myself gaining more weight. My roommate size 4, body fat 11. She pigs out like no one business but the next day she is back to normal. That is something I’ve never had but that is the difference between her and me. Having this surgery has taken the hunger away thank goodness. I love how we can all share on Here. I’m surrounded by in shape people so of course they can’t even imagine what I’m going thru nor would I care to share lol.