Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How will you handle Thanksgiving?

This is the first time since my Grandfather died 8 years ago, that my grandmother is cooking dinner. She does deep south southern cooking that makes you slap your mama. Everything from scratch and she cooks everything you could imagine. Lucky me is still on clear liquids.. YEA! (sarcasm) I'm 6 days post op. Half my family is against this surgery and the other half don't care. So this should be interesting for me. But as far as what I will do, I will have a glass with my sugar free juice walk around and socialize and help with the kids and hopefully no one will notice me not eating. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

We are going to a restaurant with my parents and in-laws. I will ask if I can get a kids’ portion of the food (it’s served family-style), but I’m not hopeful. Will probably just have to nibble on everything.

You need a card like many hospitals and facilities give out. I despaired, but of all places ,mine is on the rear of my dieticians business card. States I am encouraged to choose from items on children's or Senior citizen menus as, due to surgical intervention, I now have a greatly reduced stomach capicity, and may I have a take-home box where applicable.😝😁😝

The card wouldn’t matter, either they’re gonna be jerks about it or they’re not.

Half knee-jerk, the rest pain in tookus, but some days that's all You Get! At any rate, Happy Thanksgiving and I value you as a Bari- Friend. Is the little Abelet sitting up in a high chair now? Going to be his first Thanksgiving, YOU are so lucky to now be able to see the whole 🌏 world through the eyes of a child! 😝

Not quite, but he had his first puréed food (sweet potatoes) last weekend and loved them.

Might try a nuked sweet potato myself, might be able to diet ICBNB and mash it into creamy submission. Thank YOU for the suggestion young👶 Mr Froman! Never did find out what his first name is. But he looked so cute with you!

I'm faking being sick (my stomach...all I can handle is liquids right now, not a total lie:D) and staying home. I don't feel that badly about it. I am on purees and there is no way to hide that.

Frankly this was too private to share with anyone other than my husband and mother, and this surgery is misunderstood. I don't need people asking a million questions, pitying me (or being jealous, depending on their angle), I don't want people being the food police and asking me "Are you allowed to have that?", I don't need people judging me months from now if I don't lose enough according to what they think I should lose.

The next big family dinner will be Christmas, and by then I will be on solid foods. I am hosting so I will make sure one of the dishes is a fish dish, and I can eat around the lasagna noodles (basically ricotta bake) and since I'm hosting I'll just keep busy. My plan for future holidays is to enjoy what I want in small portions, Protein first.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, whatever you are doing. The food has become the star of the show but the idea is to be thankful. I'm thankful to be losing weight and getting healthy, I am thankful that my husband supports my choice, I am thankful to be watching the traditional Thanksgiving Dog Show with my little munchin, and I'm thankful to have moved on to scrambled eggs and ricotta bake (officially today!). May you have many things to be thankful for as well.

On 11/21/2018 at 14:48, BuzzVSG said:

I had a death in the family, so Thanksgiving canceled. I plan on having chinese food too. Probably steamed shrimp with veggies and some hot sauce on it. No rice. I have never craved hot sauce before VSG, now I use it quite often.

I’m sorry for your loss

I plan on just enjoying the day, sticking with Protein and veggies mainly .... but I will probably have a bite or two of a roll and pumpkin pie. I’m 3.5 months post op, going strong, almost 60 lbs down, and am creating a new lifestyle for myself. Lots to be thankful for this year! Happy thanksgiving everyone!

I sent my wife and kids to their families house for dinner and had honorary or at this point post op it’s ornery broth! Went to Wally World and walked the store four times, apparently a mile!

My wife came home with leftovers and I had three small bites of mashed taters and then two small bits of turkey dressing. It was so good but I stopped there to see what would happen. So far so good. My nurse gave green light to try puréed tomorrow but dang I’m hangry.

10 hours ago, abefroman329 said:

The card wouldn’t matter, either they’re gonna be jerks about it or they’re not.

Exactly! I have a card from my surgeon saying that because of a medical issue my stomach size has been drastically reduced and it would be appreciated if restaurants would take that into consideration by offering small portions. We were in Canada a couple of weeks ago (I live in Australia) and not a single restaurant would honour it. No siree Bob! You'll order the regular sized main course and either not eat it or take it with you - neither were an option unfortunately. You can't really take food back to a hotel for eating later if there's no fridge to put it in. I also found a lot of the choices on the children's menu to be either carb heavy or deep fried. Two very big no nos for bypass as both cause me dumping.

11 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Might try a nuked sweet potato myself, might be able to diet ICBNB and mash it into creamy submission. Thank YOU for the suggestion young👶 Mr Froman! Never did find out what his first name is. But he looked so cute with you!

Thanks! His name is Henry.

As luck would have it, they charged me for a kid’s portion.

I am sorry to hear this. My dad also passed away about two weeks ago. He was diagnosed with cancer only 10 days before his death, so it has been rough. He wanted us to Celebrate the holidays though, so we will have a traditional Thanksgiving with immediate family only.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am very sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a death in the family, so Thanksgiving canceled. I plan on having chinese food too. Probably steamed shrimp with veggies and some hot sauce on it. No rice. I have never craved hot sauce before VSG, now I use it quite often.
I am sorry for your loss. I know losing a loved one is never easy, especially during the holidays.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app