Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you do it?

I had my surgery done at a private hospital that only does Bariatric Surgery. There are several surgeons and nutritionists. The care is intrigrated from start to finish.

My plan from my nutritionist is a very simple framework. Eat 3 meals, 2 Snacks, 2 hours apart. Eat these foods, don’t eat these foods. Drink X Water, Get X Protein, don’t exceed X fat per day (not low fat). No calorie counting.

I’m not looking to compare but I am truly interested in how everyone is going about their eating plan. What has your nutritionist advised you to do? Is it helping you build lifelong, sustainable habits?

️PLEASE leave all judgement of others eating plans out of your comments! Just because something works for you doesn’t mean someone else is doing it wrong.

4 minutes ago, JessaK said:

I had my surgery done at a private hospital that only does Bariatric Surgery. There are several surgeons and nutritionists. The care is intrigrated from start to finish.

My plan from my nutritionist is a very simple framework. Eat 3 meals, 2 Snacks, 2 hours apart. Eat these foods, don’t eat these foods. Drink X Water, Get X Protein, don’t exceed X fat per day (not low fat). No calorie counting.

I’m not looking to compare but I am truly interested in how everyone is going about their eating plan. What has your nutritionist advised you to do? Is it helping you build lifelong, sustainable habits?

️PLEASE leave all judgement of others eating plans out of your comments! Just because something works for you doesn’t mean someone else is doing it wrong.

Mine is basically similar to yours but some foods they allow I just choose not to eat for health reasons (like mashed potatoes, and some other carbs, I don't want my blood sugar to spike)

My team said in the beginning not to worry about counting calories but I started counting by week 2 only because I know this is something I will try and continue to do as long as I can, tracking what I eat has always worked for me, it's when I stopped tracking in the past I would gain.

The information given to me by my team has been very very beneficial and it's working for me. They also really encourage incorporating exercise daily which I do.

I feel great!!

Nice Post 👍

25 minutes ago, JessaK said:

I have VSG performed at a regular hospital , but a center for excellence in surgery. The bariatric team included a nutritionist and dietician as well the Surgeon and his wonderful PA.

I had an amazing experience.

Counting calories started as soon as I was lucid enough to care (1 month post) but strived for Water goal immediately. My diet is tailored to me (it varies depending on what I want to accomplish) because I'm notoriously difficult lol and want the best.

Safe Journey!

2 hours ago, JessaK said:

What has your nutritionist advised you to do?

First stages of surgery: Concentrate on hitting Protein goal (60 to 100) and hydration goal Don't worry about calories. Practice logging food to know if you are hitting your protein goal. Exercise.

Weight loss stage: Nothing processed. Eat whole foods. Log, Keep within my calorie macro goals. Protein 60 to 100 grams. low carb and healthy fats. Hydration goal. Learn how to navigate the grocery store, cook healthy meals at home, and how to order at restaurants to stay on plan. Exercise.

Maintaining: Add additional healthy carbs to slow or stop weight loss. She prefers low glycemic carbs (plant based, sweet potato, brown rice, and whole wheat)

Is it helping you build lifelong, sustainable habits?

Absolutely,

I am four years out. Shopping and eating healthy are normal life routines. I don't feel deprived. Changing old behaviors is important for this to be lifelong sustainable.

I've never been told not to have any specific food. I have been told to eat on small plates only. Start eating Protein, if still hungry, eat vegetables, then if still hungry, eat the other thing. I generally only have room for the protein and sometimes the veggies. I've been told to track how much protein I'm getting a day and that I should get at least 80 grams; I usually try for 100g.

I saw the doctor today. Number one goal is to maintain hydration. I move into Puree foods tomorrow then to soft and then regular. He did say i did not need to follow his guide of 2 weeks to the T.. Said to test it.. if at any point i am not getting my 64 ounces of Water in.. to back up and not progress further until its accomplished. He did say.. He doesnt want me to have more than 40g of carbs per day. ( the nutritionist recommended 60g) He said i didnt need that many, and 40 was enough and i needed to make sure i ate those last and only if still hungry. I am both excited and nervous to start puree tomorrow because i have not had food in my system since Oct 25th. Will see how tomorrow goes.. Slow and Steady wins the race!

My nutritionist sadly isn’t very good, shame really. Nothing about calories hydration, so reading these sites really help me. They did give me a packet I’ve sifted thru. So what’s the caloric intake per day.? I’m drinking 48 oz so far a day on day 6. I’m on strained Soups and yogurt. Any help will be appreciative

im in a clincal trial program designed to see what motivates surgery patients to keep weight off for a minimum of three years. the initial phase is similar to what you describe but it also includes psychological counseling monthly, group sessions, a personal trainer twice a week with body strengthening (pilates) program. Every year we meet our goals for the 3 years we get 1000. If we complete the program we earn 3K total.