Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Switching from surgeon to family doc?

So.....

My surgeon has decided he is moving out of state. I am post op 12 weeks. I haven't had any complications and have been doing great. He says I can get referred to another surgeon to continue my postoperative care but I am thinking on just want to go to my family doctor. She has been super supportive of my journey with bariatric surgery as her mother had RNY also. Would it be irresponsible of me to switch from a surgeon to my family doc? I can always be referred back out by her if down the road I hit some road blocks.

Any advice?

My Feeling- Go For It! Better a supportive PCP who does care about you and your future than a new untested surgeon that, to them , you are another cipher, and might not give you the commitment YOU DESERVE!
Better the Devil😈you know-- than an Unsubstantiated one!😈

1 hour ago, AshMarie794 said:

So.....

My surgeon has decided he is moving out of state. I am post op 12 weeks. I haven't had any complications and have been doing great. He says I can get referred to another surgeon to continue my postoperative care but I am thinking on just want to go to my family doctor. She has been super supportive of my journey with bariatric surgery as her mother had RNY also. Would it be irresponsible of me to switch from a surgeon to my family doc? I can always be referred back out by her if down the road I hit some road blocks.

Any advice?

My opinion on it, I wouldn't switch to *JUST* the PCP. PCPs are great and all, but can miss things that a Bariatric Surgeon might not. I still go and see my PCP *AND* check in with my surgeon / surgical team. No reason you can't have both, In my opinion, it's still best to follow up with a Bariatric surgeon.

Just now, Matt Z said:

My opinion on it, I wouldn't switch to *JUST* the PCP. PCPs are great and all, but can miss things that a Bariatric Surgeon might not. I still go and see my PCP *AND* check in with my surgeon / surgical team. No reason you can't have both, In my opinion, it's still best to follow up with a Bariatric surgeon.

I am just worried who I would be referred to. My surgeon is already over an hour from me I don't feel comfortable just going to anyone who hasn't even seen me or been involved in my journey. I am very torn and only have a month or so to figure out what I will do.

4 minutes ago, AshMarie794 said:

I am just worried who I would be referred to. My surgeon is already over an hour from me I don't feel comfortable just going to anyone who hasn't even seen me or been involved in my journey. I am very torn and only have a month or so to figure out what I will do.

Well, you have to start somewhere right? Your current surgeon was once someone that you didn't know, and that had no idea what you were dealing with, I'd assume your current surgeon would provide you with someone they felt could continue your support. You could see if they could recommend someone closer. But even still, it's going to be best to have someone who's well versed in Bariatric surgery. I wouldn't suggest leaning on a PCP for all specialty needs, be that Bariatric, Dermatology, Orthopedics etc. I love my PCP. And I go to her for pretty much everything, except my ongoing bariatric support, that support goes to those that have the specific skills for those issues.

Clearly my opinion, you do what you wish/what you feel comfortable with, I just don't feel comfortable telling someone to stop seeing to someone that works on those specific issues for someone that only does the generalized stuff.

OMG @Ash Marie, where on earth is Dr Weiner moving to? He didn't decide to Go Hollywood or something? Please let us know if YOU have an answer!

11 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

OMG @Ash Marie, where on earth is Dr Weiner moving to? He didn't decide to Go Hollywood or something? Please let us know if YOU have an answer!

He is relocating to Arizona.