Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you eat in the airport?

I learned today that traveling is tough with a restricted diet. Starbucks messed up my latte, so I had to toss it. Couldn’t find an acceptable Protein Shake on all of Detroit Airport. We had a nearly 4 hour layover and walked and walked looking for something! I ended up settling for some spicy chicken thing that was not on my diet and peanuts on the plane.

So my question... what do y’all eat when you’re traveling by plane?

I am taking my first trip tomorrow PO and plan on packing food for the plane. I am still on soft foods: Babybel cheese, tuna fish salad (with ice pack...will also see if they will let yogurt through), a few crackers (allowed), grapes, apple slices, Protein Bars. Most airports have Chobani yogurt, hummus snack packs...can't eat the pretzels, Protein Shakes (I see Muscle Milk most often for about $5-$6😒). If I am hungry and have to buy food, without the time to sit at a restaurant, I would preference Chick-fil-a (grilled chicken nuggets), Chipotle/Qdoba (burrito bowl salad with chicken, no rice [sub lettuce], no sour cream, no cheese) and if I had to eat at McDonalds...I hate McDonalds...(egg mcmuffin without the muffin).

2 minutes ago, lzucks said:

Yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts, Rx bars are the things I’ve found in airports that I’ve been able to eat. Hope that helps!

How could I forget about the hard boiled eggs? ! I have never been able to get myself to trust them or the expiration dates. 😂

I did not see any yogurt or eggs? ! Do airports have grocery stores? All we saw were little news stands that had coke product and monster energy drinks. I did see some Core Protein Drinks, but I’m pretty sure those have a ton of sugar? But they were the only Protein drinks I saw.

5 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

I did not see any yogurt or eggs?! Do airports have grocery stores? All we saw were little news stands that had coke product and monster energy drinks. I did see some Core Protein Drinks, but I’m pretty sure those have a ton of sugar? But they were the only Protein drinks I saw.

Some airports have 7-11. Next flight try to find the larger newsstands (not the kiosk type) for example, Hudsons, those named after cable networks (CNN, Times, CNBC, etc.) usually have wls friendly options.

9 minutes ago, lzucks said:

Most bigger airports have some sort of gourmet markets now. In Detroit, it’s Plum Market in the Delta terminal.

I was recently at the Plum Market in DTW...they have Zingermans!!😍

Hi all, I am 6 days post-op and traveled starting 3 days post operatively. TSA will allow liquids if you have proof that you are on liquid diet or need to bring food with you. They will pat you down,but I did great throughout all airports. All airports have a smoothie shop somewhere,if not,I would snag a muscle milk at any magazine shop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

If you have a shaker bottle to mix Protein Shakes you can get Water after going through security to mix it. You can usually find a water fountain to fill it. I have a few individual packets of Protein Powder that makes it easy to travel with.

I am out of the house for long amounts of time due to my kids sports. I will also bring Jerky, I have found a few brands that tend to be on the softer side. Starbucks also has a cheese & egg Protein box that I grab sometimes while I am out, has 2 hard boiled eggs, cheese, grapes, about half an apple, Peanut Butter & a round muesli bread. My kids will usually help eat it since it tends to be a lot.

I spend more time in airports than I do at home some weeks, so I might be a resident expert here! :P

At 5 months out, there will be tons of options available for you. It's harder on liquids and purees but not impossible.

As mentioned, nuts, cheese crisps, Protein bars are available in the news stand type shops. Also Jerky, protein bars, protein packs with dried meat and dried cheese together.

Lots of restaurants have a to go section with yogurt, fruit cups, hummus etc.. There are also premade salads readily available, and sandwiches you can just eat the meat out of.

Even fast food, you can get a chicken sandwich and just eat the meat, or burger and just eat the patty. Sit down restaurants are just like any other restaurant, so always some kind of good choice on there.

When I'm at DET, I often eat at Sora, the sushi restaurant. There is a Vino Volo, which has meat and cheese plates. PF Changs has good options. I usually get chicken lettuce wraps or the hot and sour Soup. Vino Volo and PF Changs are in many airports, not just DET, so I eat at those pretty often. Finally as mentioned above Plum Market has good options, I've also eaten at Adiamo and been happy.