Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On pre-op liquid diet...I'M STARRRVVVINGGG...I cheated :-/ ...I need support!!

My pre-op was not all liquids. 2 Protein Shakes per day and a sensible meal for lunch or dinner. Sensible meaning no fried food, pizza, small normal sized portions and stuff like that. My dr told me the reason we do the pre-op is to shrink the liver and also to show the level of commitment that will be required post op. Just my opinion, so dont kill me, but anyone witing till the last day pre-op to give up things like sodas and junk food are making it real hard for themselves once they are banded. There were enough things for me to think about without worrying about giving up the things like these that I enjoyed, so I quit all of them a month before my pre-op diet started.

I agree with you. I knew sodas and smoking were going to be REALLY hard to quit. I gave both of them up nearly a YEAR before surgery . I thought I was going to have surgery at one point in time ( even then i gave smoking and sodas up what what have been close to 6 months before surgery ) and ended up having surgery the following yr , this yr .

I did not want to be worried about either of them anywhere near surgery .

And I think your docs answer is probably the reason for most pre op diets, to shrink the liver and "test" your level of commitment .

Mindy

Could be . I am not sure if all docs who do liquids sell that kind of stuff or not ? It would be interesting to see though ?

Mindy

Well, FWIW, I disagree with a liquid pre op diet. I think it's stupid. The same thing can be accomplished with a low carb, low fat, adequate Protein diet so the reason for liquids would be?? What? I don't get it. A method for torturing we fatties? What's the value?

I've yet to get a good answer on this one from docs.

IMO it helps to show how badly you want the surgery. If you want it bad enough you will follow it. With the Optifast, it is a miserable time at first. But after about the third day it get much easier. You have more energy. You feel better. My best friend who was banded last week lost 17 pounds on her 2 weeks of pre op Optifast. Why not jump start it if you can? But a form of torture? Yeah I could agree with that.

It also seems that a lot of people who are not compliant with a pre op diet tend to be less compliant post op. At least that is the case from what I have seen around my doctors office.

And as for not being hungry after surgery? 4 days out I was starving, and we are not talking head hunger. The liquids post op were way way harder than pre op. Trying to not eat food while cooking dinner for my family was the absolute hardest part of the whole ordeal, hands down. It made Optifast seem like a cake walk.

It also seems that a lot of people who are not compliant with a pre op diet tend to be less compliant post op. At least that is the case from what I have seen around my doctors office.

And as for not being hungry after surgery? 4 days out I was starving, and we are not talking head hunger. The liquids post op were way way harder than pre op. Trying to not eat food while cooking dinner for my family was the absolute hardest part of the whole ordeal, hands down. It made Optifast seem like a cake walk.

This is my concern in here. If someone can't do liquids for one day, what will happen post op? Then it isn't a choice, there can't be cheating. The post op diet sets the tone for the life of the band. What about if the band slips? We are talking liquids for 3 weeks.

Nobody died of starvation on the pre op or post op diet. Yes, it's hard and has to be done, more so the post op diet.

Hey Wasa...I totally agree with your statement that if someone can't do liquids for one day then what happens post op? This is a lifestyle change and if you are already figuring ways around cheating the band or not fighting through it during the first day of pre-op diet...are you sure that you are ready to be banded?

I'm not saying that you aren't ready...just need to push through it a little more. We've all been there and yes, it is hard. But one day? Come on...toughen up a bit. You'll be on a liquid diet post op, and then to a mushie diet, and then to soft foods, or what not depending on your doctor. (Mine was liquid diet pre-op, two weeks liquids post op, two weeks mushies, then on to solids.) Yes everyone one is different and yes, some have done things they shouldn't have and come out of it ok. But that doesn't necessarily make it ok. I'm also required to go back on liquids for two days and mushies for two days after a fill. More than likely you'll have to do something similar

Your doctor is responsible for you and how he does the surgery. He's comfortable and doing things for a reason.

Check out the boards...look for recipes...and get through this part. You'll be fine.

I'm honestly not trying to be mean....just trying to be honest

Hey everyone- thanks for the responses..I just wanted to clarify that this is NOT 1 day of optifast...it's 17 days of pure Optifast shakes 5 times a day..

But today I went to the nutritionist for pre-op appt. and she told me she doesn't see a problem with me having vegies cuz the whole goal is to just lose weight b4 the shrink the liver...so I've had vegie Soup tonight but I'll call tomorrow to confirm all this with the DR.

I could feel on my body I've lost a couple lb's already ( have not weighed myself, but I feel the loss) ...so I guess I'm accomplishing the goal, right??

Hey everyone- thanks for the responses..I just wanted to clarify that this is NOT 1 day of optifast...it's 17 days of pure Optifast shakes 5 times a day..

But today I went to the nutritionist for pre-op appt. and she told me she doesn't see a problem with me having vegies cuz the whole goal is to just lose weight b4 the shrink the liver...so I've had vegie Soup tonight but I'll call tomorrow to confirm all this with the DR.

I could feel on my body I've lost a couple lb's already ( have not weighed myself, but I feel the loss) ...so I guess I'm accomplishing the goal, right??

No, people aren't suggesting this is only one day of liquids, we are saying if someone can't do liquids for even a single day, how will that person manage the post op diet?

Thanks sunshiny...

WASaBubbleButt- I went to the nutritionist today and the post-op diet is easier than ONLY drinking Optifast shakes ...the post-op allows for a variety of liquids which I could survive on...it's more difficult to do strictly one type of drink for 2 weeks.

My doc doesn't require liquid pre-op either. I have to watch for only 5 days. He says that's all it really takes. His opinion, is if you know what you're doing that's all it takes. I was so relived to hear it. I'm having mine on the 19th.

My pre-op diet is low-carb. It isn't bad. I agree that if someone can't handle one day of liquids then they are going to have a very hard time post-op. None of the pre or post op diets are easy. If they were easy we wouldn't be having surgery to lose weight we would have stuck to the "easy" diet years ago.

I don't think any of this process is easy on anyone. I believe that some have a better mind set than others and understand that the band doesn't do the work. Some think that the getting the band cures us of overeating the foods we love. I believe 95% of those banded still want the food we ate before and the true test is changing our lifestyle and eating healthier with the band as our support system to stop us from overeating on those healthier foods. In the end it is all up to us.

Sorry to ramble. I think that was more of a pep talk for me reminding me of the journey ahead.

The passed 3 days on my pre-op diet have been very hard for me but considering I think I did really well....if I went of my Optifast I mostly stuck to vegetables (soups or salad) .....

If the goal is to lose weight, I'm accomplishing that...so fine.

That "last supper" mentality was hard for me to shake. I drank Propel strawberry-kiwi Water to the brink. Staying hydrated and keeping my mouth busy with water was helpful.