Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rash and bad breath

Has anyone gone into Ketosis at 2 weeks out from surgery? I haven’t bought the strips yet as I haven’t even thought about Ketosis because I’ve been focusing on maintaining with the diet. I have what looks to be a Keto rash and my breath smells like all the time now. Dr told me to monitor the rash and although he didn’t say anything about Keto rash it looks exactly like the pics I’ve seen online.

Anyone else have this issue throughout their journey?

And I wonder whether mine is Keto rash , skin folds thrush or a combo, anyone want to weigh in a help me decide? Even in weight loss THAT WORD comes up. And my son Tomkitten, the shower Everyday Harry of the Western World only has 1 prescription, he's in his 30s, his skin can stand having its natural oils depleted! Mine , unless I use Dove, Crack and Dry you out Baby!

Maybe best to get the strips to check. If you don’t mind my asking what are you eating that is putting you in ketosis? My first two weeks were free fluids and I found there’s not that many Keto choices except the pre op shakes. I did have bad breath but it was from the Protein Drinks (though I had too many dairy products to be in ketosis).

After gastric bypass surgery, the amount of food you consume is minimal. Instead your body is using the stored fat in your body as fuel.

According to the internet:

the liver utilizes the fat present in the body as an energy source, producing “ketones” in the process. This is known as “ketosis” – and is the process from where Keto diets get their unusual name.

These ketone bodies come in three common forms; acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetone. In large quantities they are removed from the body in the urine or through exhalation. [That is why it is so very important to meet your daily Fluid goals.]

Ketones can have quite a characteristic smell; they often make the dieter’s breath smell quite sweet and fruity, quite distinct from typical halitosis.

Excessive volumes of acetone, however, can smell rather different. Acetone on the breath is most commonly likened to the smell of nail varnish remover.

Source: https://ultradex.co.uk/ketosis-breath-causes-solutions-for-bad-breath/

Another symptom of ketosis that can be rather unpleasant is dryness in your mouth, sometimes accompanied by a slight metallic taste and an acetone breath.

Now I never really smelled my breath after surgery. But others complained that my breath smelled like death itself. But I did suffer from something called dry mouth. I found that a mouthwash called Biotene corrected that condition.

Now I do not remember anything like a Keto rash. After surgery my body looked like it underwent WW II. It was totally covered with bruises. The bruises were in part a product of the blood thinner I had to take for a few weeks after surgery to prevent blood clots. These will heal. But I did experience another condition.

When you lose significant weight, you are left with excess skin. Nowhere is this visible more than on your face. I developed very fine wrinkles; almost paper thin crinkles, all over my face. I looked like I was a hundred years old. I think women have the upper hand on this problem. My wife told me to use Bio-Oil available in most drug stores. I apply a dab on my face each morning and I am good to go. I have been using this for over 5 years and it solves that problem.

I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis. Effects my face, scalp, and ears. Dry skin is a problem I have but this rash isn’t from dry skin.

I followed an extremely low carb diet pre op. Stuck to Protein first and good fats so somewhat of a Keto diet I suppose. Post op I followed the shakes, and liquids. My mouth becomes dry now, and there’s this constant like metallic taste I have. I’m constantly sipping either Water or sugar free Powerade.

The rash itself is red spots, itchy across my chest extending back on my shoulders and on my back. Thrush? That’s a mouth issue. Skin folds aren’t an issue in my chest? I don’t have wrinkles. I’m aware of blood thinner bruises I had those when I was given the injections to take after my c section.

Interesting. I never heard of Keto rash before. Is it common? The mouth funk is definitely ketosis though, I noticed it after 2 days, and unless you are guzzling apple juice for your liquids you are probably in it without trying because your carbs will naturally be so low at this point. The strips aren't too expensive and can be found in any pharmacy or online.

I had this rash!! Go see your primary - I used nystatin and it cleared up over the next few weeks!! It's a pain but it'll go away!

Mine wasn't Keto rash, I thought it was at first but it turned out to be something different. Good luck!

I have been getting a small rash on my neck. It seems to go away and then comes back. I plan on asking the Dr. about it but it started around the same time that he had me start back on the blood thinners while i am home.. (I have 9 more days of that). Now yall have me wondering. I am not sure what Keto rash is, but if whatever this rash is that keeps appearing and disappearing has nothing to do with the blood thinners, i will be ok with that LOL.

I knew about bad-tasting breath, but b.o.and increased armpit odor? I scrub, wear d3oderants, antiperspirant but by bedtime it overpowers,everything, like onions,that have started rotting away. Is that also ketosis?