Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass ADELAIDE AUSTRALIA anyone here from Australia

Hello there I'm from Australia I'm currently 320lbs and my ultimate goal would be 190lbs as i am tall and come from a family of big builds so 190 would be perfect. Here in Australia we can use health insurance to pay most of the surgery but I'll still be out of pocket $5000 but the catch is we must weight out 12 months before we get surgery i finally signed up for insurance 2 months ago so my surgery will be just after my 35th birthday 😀 and then should be able to lose the 130lbs within the following 10 months in time for my 36th birthday party.. I would just like to hear from others who are going through the operation Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass.

I've done tons of research and that's the surgery i want Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass the best for long term. I've heard that it makes it so you don't have much cravings and you don't absorb calories as much because of bypass and you have to live off Vitamins and such. I hope people can clarify things for me about all that stuff thank you!!!

Good Morning Mikeyy, it's only a little after 7AM in the Eastern Time zone of the USA, many seem to be sleeping in. Elcee is Ballarat Victoria, my Friend Taoz is also in Australia. I think either of them could turn you on others "down under" I'll puzzle on this, see if I can think of some more people. Had my own RnY almost 10 weeks ago at 72, not doing perfect with recovery but I am fixable. Wiley Coyote , the cartoon character always talked about his "Great Brain", let's see what mine comes up with. I live in a small city of 20,000 called Mount Vernon, 48. miles from Columbus, maybe 80 km ? where I had my surgery, Ohio born, Ohio bred, my family has been here since Indian Days. Quick joke: Do you know what is said about people excessively proud of ancestors? They are like potatoes, the most important part of them is found already underground! That's me, a tad saucy and flippant!

Miss Poodle and Shrinking Violet were recent posters, I'm sure Miss Poodle is an RnY also!

Kimbo1991 and Shrinking wildflower

And I think it was fully @the_shrinking_violett, still looking in past ones, okay?

@ witchypoo72

Pearldrop and Jules1 are in Canberra and Rainbow Warrior (a guy) is in NSW.

And last, but no least, because she is a nice poster @ 2shea!

On 11/13/2018 at 10:26 PM, Mikeyy said:

Hello there I'm from Australia I'm currently 320lbs and my ultimate goal would be 190lbs as i am tall and come from a family of big builds so 190 would be perfect. Here in Australia we can use health insurance to pay most of the surgery but I'll still be out of pocket $5000 but the catch is we must weight out 12 months before we get surgery i finally signed up for insurance 2 months ago so my surgery will be just after my 35th birthday 😀 and then should be able to lose the 130lbs within the following 10 months in time for my 36th birthday party.. I would just like to hear from others who are going through the operation Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass.

I've done tons of research and that's the surgery i want Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass the best for long term. I've heard that it makes it so you don't have much cravings and you don't absorb calories as much because of bypass and you have to live off Vitamins and such. I hope people can clarify things for me about all that stuff thank you!!!

Hi Mikeyy and welcome to BP

I am in Tassie, but not a RNYer. Take some time to read through the bypass subforum here and you will probably find the answers to questions and even unasked as yet questions.

There a few Australians about here but if you are on FB, I could send you a link to an Australian based bariatric group which is fairly active. If you are concerned about FB privacy and friends, you could set up an alias profile. Let me know if you would like the like.

Yes you can search for threads with Australia or Aussie in them and I think you will find a number of us. As 2shea says there are also a lot of active Facebook groups. I have joined some of those lately but am in 2 minds as to what I think about them. To me this site feels safer and more anonymous - it probably isn't but that is the way it feels.

I also find that the groups do not always offer the best advice. They get into heated debates about how a person can eat whatever they want etc rather than trying to steer people towards better choices. And yes none of us are perfect but there is a big difference between genuine support and just encouraging people in their bad choices.

Hi Mikeyy. I'm just north of Perth and had RnY on 26 September. I have Medibank which paid for my hospital charges but I applied to use some of my super for the surgeon and anaesthetist's gap. After surgery I claimed back about $1100 from Medicare and I think I can get some back from Medibank if I send in receipts.

So far, 7.5 weeks in I've lost 17 kg. RnY is by far the best thing I've ever done.

4 hours ago, MMME said:

Hi Mikeyy. I'm just north of Perth and had RnY on 26 September. I have Medibank which paid for my hospital charges but I applied to use some of my super for the surgeon and anaesthetist's gap. After surgery I claimed back about $1100 from Medicare and I think I can get some back from Medibank if I send in receipts.

So far, 7.5 weeks in I've lost 17 kg. RnY is by far the best thing I've ever done.

How much was the cost for surgeon and anaesthetist gap I've been told About 5000 not sure how Medicare works I'll have to ask my surgery in Adelaide...

Mikeyy if feasible talk to some other doctors. I have a sleeve. I have top hospital and extras cover and paid only $500 excess for the private hospital and roughly $50 for the medication I took home. Surgeon, anethatist (spelling!) and swallow test were all covered by insurance with no gap.

16 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

How much was the cost for surgeon and anaesthetist gap I've been told About 5000 not sure how Medicare works I'll have to ask my surgery in Adelaide...

It depends on the surgeon how much gap you'll have. Mine was about 7000 but I could have paid less if I went with a different surgeon. I really wanted Mr Dolan, so I didn't mind paying. My anaesthetist was $500 but my Medibank will reimburse that. As for Medicare, after your surgery you will get a receipt from the surgeon and anaesthetist. Take them to your local Medicare office and they will do a form to get back whatever you're eligible for.

That's the first I've heard about any Medicare rebate. I'll have to make an appointment with the surgery and ask those specific questions.

I was told Medicare Will only pay if you meet the standard for public surgery not private.

I've still got 10 months wait as I've just started with PHI

Tnx