Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Wednesday and Have not stuck to diet

You run the risk of either not getting the band becuase your liver is too big, or waking up with a huge vertical incision downt he middle of your stomach because you've had open instead of laparascopic surgery. I know one person that happened to.

of course its also entirely possible and probably more likely that all will be fine and your liver wont present a problem.

However, I'd question my own commitment, I mean my doc didnt require a pre op diet and I thought I'd do it anyway and failed miserably, but I did not gain any weight or do that last supper thing, I changed my life from the point I made the decision to be banded. Not being able to stick to two weeks of liquid torture is NO indication that you will fail after the band, I did just fine, very well in fact and didnt find liquids and mushies hard in the slightest. But I'd really be doing some soul searching about why I wasnt doing what I was told - I mean I *could* fail at the pre op becuase I didnt have to be doing it in the first place and I knew that.

I have been on my preop diet for about 10 days now and there are moments when I just want to cry, but I keep thinking that it will lessen the chances of complications during the surgery. You need to do it for your own safety and health.

I have my surgery on Wednesday and Have not stuck to the liquid diet except for during lunch, How bad is this?

Don't even worry, I completely spaced off the diet. When I got to Mexico two days before my surgery I grabbed a cab and went in search of some killer tacos. I found a great little taco place and ordered up a half a dozen taco's. I was SO full I near popped. The night before surgery I went out for Italian. With my meal I had one wine, that would be one bottle :cursing:. The next day after surgery I asked the doctor how everything looked in there and he said it was all good. :confused2:

I really wish I could get a copy of the picture that my surgeon shows all of his patients pre-op. It is the liver of a woman who didn't follow a pre-op diet to shrink her liver. It was literally black from where he just touched it with the forceps and there were several small bleeding lacerations. All this just from gently touching it. He said that if he had tried to lift it to get where he needed to be that it would have literally torn in two! He closed her up and refused to the do the surgery.

Needless to say, my liver was absolutely picture perfect. I wanted my band and I wanted a safe, complication free surgery.

I encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon before you go under the knife and then let him/her decide what they want to do. You do not want to put yourself at risk. Perhaps you might consider some counselling to determine whether or not you are really ready for this next step in your life. It is your life and no one else can make decisions for you. You need to be actively involved and committed. Good luck with your decision/surgery, if you go ahead. Remember, everything is an opportunity if you take a second look.

This thread is from the beginning of November in 2007!...

ROFL!!! I didn't even notice! How the heck did it get all the way up here??????? Important subject though.

I really wish I could get a copy of the picture that my surgeon shows all of his patients pre-op. It is the liver of a woman who didn't follow a pre-op diet to shrink her liver. It was literally black from where he just touched it with the forceps and there were several small bleeding lacerations. All this just from gently touching it.

Thats pretty amazing. I was worried what mine would look like because I didn't do any pre-op diet or anything, heck I even pigged out to tell the truth. I asked the doc specifically and he said it looked great.

To be fair, there were about 5 of us who all got the surgery on the same day, we got to know each other a bit while we were all in the hospital and hotel during post-op. The ones who were having the easiest time during post-op were the ones who followed the pre-op diet. I don't know if there is a connection but I did notice it. The lower BMI folks also had a tougher time... strange I though.

I messed up a bit too, but this is a serious committment, not to mention all the $$$$ you have spent. Do you really want this ??? The preop diet is nothing compared to after, in MY opinion.