Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some advice....

I'm going to start my liqiud diet tomorrow and I'm needing some advice on what exactly should I eat/ or should I say drink??

It's a shame your Bariatric Center didn't provide you with this.

My pre-op diet called for:

1. 2 or less servings daily - juice, gatorade, Powerade, or fruit

2. 3 or less servings daily - Jello, popsicles, sugar-free fudgsicles

3. 3 or less servings daily - 1 cup skim milk or 8 oz yogurt (Dannon light, Yoplait light or Colombo light) or 1/2 cup cottage cheese

4. 1 - 2 a day - Atkins or Carb Solutions shakes

5. Any amount of these daily: sugar free beverages such as Crystal Light, Wylers Light, sugar free Koolaid or Tang, diet Snapple, Fruit2O, Propel, or coffee or tea with sugar substitutes or water--broths (all varieties) and sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello.< /p>

As you can see, the idea is to reduce your glycogen stores and make our livers smaller, to make surgery easier. So STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR!

It's tough the first couple of days, but after that it gets easier--then next thing you know, it's time for surgery!

Good luck to you...;)

Hey crazy8. I just started my 2wk preop diet. My doc suggested doing Atkins (to a T). But I am panicky about it and not losing weight, I have heard people gaining wt on it. So I am trying this:

1. Breakfast - one 8 oz Protein shake (GNC berry blend)
  2. lunch - same
  3. Supper - lean meat with green veggie steamed

So far, I have a headache, which I read will happen for the first few days....so I just had a snack of 1 oz cheddar chz, cucumbers,sf popsicle.

But upon reading the reply from above,,,,,I would like to follow that. That seems more tangible.

Can you tell me how much wt you lost prior to surgery? :clap2:

Thanks, Debbie

I lost 6 pounds prior to surgery (and 17 since). I started pre-op September 30th with a surgery date of October 17--but they moved my surgery up to October 9th--yippee!

My salvation in the pre-op diet was the yogurt, which I had for lunch and the cottage cheese, which I had for dinner. (Breakfast was a Slim Fast Lo Carb shake). I DO drink a lot of coffee too, so I'm fortunate not to be a pop-a-holic!

The first few days were somewhat rough, especially in the evenings (I'm an evening eater), but I bought a box of sugar-free fudgsicles and allowed myself two each night.

After the first days, my system adjusted to no sugar and I found it much easier to follow. (And there really ARE a lot of choices in the list).

Good luck! :bounce:

Make33 Thank you sooo much for the advice!!! I will do as you said. I copied it down and everything. I had bought slim fast optima but I am not going to use it because of all the sugar it has in it. I really appreciate you responding to me. I'm really anxious about my surgery and it has been a long journey for me to get this far. I want to make absolute sure nothing goes wrong. I'm not supposed to start my liquid diet until Friday but I'm starting early just to make sure all goes well. And the Lord knows I could stand to be on a liquid diet a little early:hungry:

Was you in a lot of pain after your surgery? At first I had no fear of the surgery and now after reading a lot of these I'm a little nervous. Some people I have talked to from my hometown, old me it was a breeze. Now I'm finding out that that may not be the case. I know everyones different but I honestly thought I would just walk right out the office and all would be well. I have a high pain tolerance but I'm a little worried I must admit.:)

Well thank you and maybe we can keep in touch. I'm sure I will be on here a lot so I won't think about eating and to get even more information than I already know. I'm going to try to keep myself very busy!!!

Once you get the surgery scheduled, (if it isn't already) the time goes by SO quickly! Surgery day is a blur--but I made myself get up and around that day (surgery at 7:30 AM) because the sooner you get moving, the better.

You do get liquid meds for the pain--and the surgeon gave me a prescription when I went home. I took it only three times--mainly at bedtime--but I really don't like using that kind of stuff.

I was on here quite a bit the first few weeks myself when I was off work--the people on here are so empathetic with everyone else...

In a few weeks after surgery you'll be feeling terrific, and I have times now when I totally forget I had the surgery! (Also haven't had my first fill yet--that comes on the 16th.)

This is the absolute best tool we've ever been given to help us lose weight--and all we have to do to let it work is to follow the rules!

The very best to you... :)

To make33

Hi again! My surgery date is Nov.. 26th. This Friday I go in for all the pre op work ups done. 2 weeks from today. My surgery is scheduled for 9:30am. I live 2 hours away from the hospital where I'm getting this done so they told me I have to spend the night. Its actually in the hotel right next to the surgical center. Its at no extra charge to stay there and they told me that they make anyone living 90 mins. away stay there just in case of any complications. I just want to come home to my own bed though. But I will do as I'm told.

When was your surgery?

Hey crazy8, my surgery is also booked for Nov 26th!:clap2:

How is your preop diet going? I am on day 3 and have lost 2.5 lbs so far. I was so worried that I wouldnt lose the wt before surgery. So far I am on the rt track (I think). I am still hungry, but I am hanging in there.:faint:

I am having surgery 45 min away, at 9 am. My doc is Dr Krish in Zephyrhills Florida. The staff are great, and I have met people, through the support group at the office. They were all so positive, and informative too. We have another meeting in December, I will be 2wks out.

What I am looking forward to the most: FREEDOM FROM THIS BODY:bounce:

Stay in touch, okay?

Debbie

Thats awesome!!! It seems like it has taken forever to get to this point. I am soooo ready. We will deffinatly have to stay in touch esp. since we are having our surgeries on the same day and almost same time. I haven't gone on total liquids yet I've just cut way back on my food intake. Starting tomorrow I'm going to straight liquids. I don't have to start on my pre op diet until Friday but I figured doing it this way would make it a little easier than going cold turkey. Sooooo we'll see. I got rid of any junk in the house so I wouldn't be tempted.

Good Luck to you also and keep in touch!!

My message was for kuchiegrl. I'm obviously new on here and haven't quit figured out how to use all these buttons. Sorry!! Please bare wit hme.