Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! This is my 1st post here. I have just started my journey for Wls. I was originally going to do the lap band but after some research I have seen and heard nothing but horror stories about it. So I have decided to nix that and go with another surgery. My question for all of you is which do you think is better? The sleeve or the RNY? Why did you choose the surgery you chose? If you had to choose again would you still pick the same thing? How has the recovery from surgery been? Any advice for this newbie?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, and welcome! When you look around the boards you'll find some other posts on this subject. I haven't had surgery yet, but have to go with the RNY because I have pretty significant reflux even on strong meds. My surgeon won't do the sleeve on me. The sleeve is really popular though. Do your research and read a lot, and you and your surgeon will come to the right decision for your particular circumstances. Best wishes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it is hard for anyone to give an objective answer on this because most people haven't had both. Those who have will have been revising from another surgery so that will skew their opinion as well.

Some things to consider.

Sleeve

Is a restrictive only procedure, apparently there is a quite high risk of reflux,it cannot be reversed but it is possible to revise to a DS bypass.

Bypass

Is restrictive and malabsorptive, risk of reflux seems to be very low, certain foods e.g alcohol and sugar may cause dumping. It can be reversed if necessary but this is complicated.

Whichever surgery you choose the key to success is EDUCATION. Those that research beforehand and know what to expect seem to be a lot more successful than those who don't. Read the forums, read your surgeons info, follow the instructions that you are given and remember that ultimately WLS is only a tool, it cannot work without someone operating it

My doctor is the one that suggested the sleeve would be better for me. I was also worried with the malabsorption with the bypass. I had reflux before surgery but not that bad, so I took a chance with the sleeve. I have a friend that had to get the revision because of the reflux. So far, I'm happy with what I've had. And just like you, I had heard a lot of horror stories with the lap band. I have a friend from high school that got it and she lost a good amount of weight, but she doesn't have the restriction and eats EVERYTHING and sometimes she'll get sick, but she's gained a lot back. I know that these are all just tools and we still have to do our work.

There are indeed tons of posts on this site about this very question if you search.

There is no “better”, there is only what will be best for you.

That being said, since you have shared no stats....if you have been obese since childhood, have a BMI approaching 50 or above, or already have diabetes or high blood pressure or other medical conditions due to being obese do not rule out gastric bypass as an option.

Do your own research about what the surgeries entail, and discuss with your surgeon which may be the best option for your own long term health goals.

I am RNY for several reasons, severe reflux, HBP, sleep apnea, severe arthritis since 25, and I wanted the quickest way to lose weight. I decided the RNY would work best for me, did not want to throw away 3/4 of my stomach, so I have a turkey-egg stomach instead of one some have described a banana but my search leads me to believe a garden hose just wouldn't do me. My surgeon didn't even ask or sway my thinking.When I announced I wanted a bypass he said I was making a wise choice. Would he have tried talking me into a sleeve, doubt it, at 72 I didn't feel I had enough Life Time to revise later, so since I wanted the Gold Medal surgery, I chose the best, if they were issued medals he would wear a Big Gold one. Chief of Baraiatric Surgery and Metabolic Weight loss, full professor in College of Medicine, trained many now-successful Bariatric surgeon's in the MidWest and God only knows where else.
But he also is a very nice person.My son and I are very close, my middle child, his older brother died at 31 suddenly in 2008, my Husband died 4th of July 6 years ago. So we still live together, I go to his appointments, he comes to mine. We always band together.
Well at my presurgery meeting with my Dr Needleman, he did something that impressed me greatly. He came over, shook my son's hand said " I promise to take very good care of your Mother" he was sensitive to enough to reassure my 👦. And he has treated me wonderful. If I had become a doctor, which had always been my dream, I would have been happy to be even an 1/8th as good, as he was and is.
And the blip in recovery I am experiencing? Couldn't have been,planned for but they know how to repair it. And I believe in them, and. that helps.

Very much a case by case basis do your homework as others have mentioned. Take your time deciding, get more than one opinion from a doctor. I had the sleeve done on the 31st of October 2017. It'll be one year this 31st. Go to some support groups in your area if you can, talk to others. Take care.

And let me be the,first to wish you a very HAPPY SURGIVERSITY,Hannah83. I'm sure you have been through many things to get to this point. I appreciate that you are still active here, some of us Newbie and Freebies needs a cooler, more experienc3d head to help us find answers. 🍨📦🎁

@Hannah83, I was just thinking about you, so looked up this past post to say Hi! I hope November is doing magic for you, is the new job working out for you?