Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On the Subject of New Clothes....

.... In the past I have loathed shopping for them and that old familiar feeling is still strong. I know I need to at least buy a pair or two of jeans. My three surviving pairs are either falling off of me or have holes from where my thighs have been rubbing together. These jeans are over 2 years old and lived a long life but I hesitate. I’ve become a non brick and mortar shopper and the thought of setting foot in a store makes me nervous. Have any of you experienced a reluctance to shop for clothes; online or in person? Maybe have some fear that you won’t see your progress reflected in the sizes you where?

I’ve been reluctant to buy clothing because I’m sick to death of having to buy smaller ones! But I have been lately because a) I have no winter clothing in my current size and b) I’m about to return to work from parental leave. I find it annoying that I need to try clothing on because I need to be mindful of how it fits (as opposed to before, when clothing was just something that covered my body and needed to be as shapeless as possible). Which means less shopping online and more shopping in stores.

1 hour ago, bettie.blue said:

.... In the past I have loathed shopping for them and that old familiar feeling is still strong. I know I need to at least buy a pair or two of jeans. My three surviving pairs are either falling off of me or have holes from where my thighs have been rubbing together. These jeans are over 2 years old and lived a long life but I hesitate. I’ve become a non brick and mortar shopper and the thought of setting foot in a store makes me nervous. Have any of you experienced a reluctance to shop for clothes; online or in person? Maybe have some fear that you won’t see your progress reflected in the sizes you where?

I hated shopping because it was a reminder of how out of control my weight had become. It was hard to find clothing in cute styles and fit well. It's ok that you are not thrilled about buying clothing.

When your clothing is falling off of your body, you know it's time to get another size. Shopping is going to be a necessary evil. You will be going through sizes fairly quickly. Don't invest a lot of money on clothing while you are losing weight. Some shop thrift, second hand and discount stores.

I'm curious to see if your feeling about shopping change as you progress out from surgery. Keep us updated.

Edited by skinnylife

I'm just the opposite at this point, I used to LOATH shopping for clothes. Now, it's just fun. I almost cried when went to Kohls and bought something off the rack without trying it on and knew it would fit without any concern at all. Now, my main complaint is that I need to keep buying more clothes because it's like every other month the clothes I bought become too big!

I have always hated clothes shopping, and I am not a fan of spending a lot on clothes as I move through the sizes. I have found that Goodwill has some options - I was able to get 2 pairs of jeans for $11 which is a bargain. Of course they may not have what you are looking for, and it takes a little longer to wade through the items, but it is an option. I did purchase a few new outfits for work and was thrilled when I could fit in an XL on top and 14 on the bottom. Gave me extra incentive to continue losing.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, bettie.blue said:

I used to hate clothes shopping and didn't wear jeans because they never looked good. I also feared nothing would fit or have a PTSD like experience in the fitting room. But I had to buy clothes on the way down and finally once my weight stabilized I began to enjoy the process.

Today I have a Jean obsession because they fit. It's bad and I went too far the other way. I look forward to the seasons changing and getting new clothes.

I never thought I'd like clothes, but like many things in this journey I know things change.

Enjoy the process your head will catch up eventually. Good luck to you.

Edited by Swimmer

I was teaching in a classroom today and my trousers started to slide down...time to make a purchase perhaps? 😉

On 10/22/2018 at 6:59 AM, Matt Z said:

I'm just the opposite at this point, I used to LOATH shopping for clothes. Now, it's just fun. I almost cried when went to Kohls and bought something off the rack without trying it on and knew it would fit without any concern at all. Now, my main complaint is that I need to keep buying more clothes because it's like every other month the clothes I bought become too big!

I cannot wait for that problem! Such positive success and such an inspirations for the rest of us!

I still have an aversion to shopping and I'm 3 lbs away from goal. I was fine going to Goodwill a few times earlier on in my journey, but for some reason now that I'm essentially at goal it's like I can't believe it, so I don't go get the new clothes that fit. I don't know how to shop for this smaller body. My co-worker/best friend had to pull me aside a week ago and tell me people were commenting on how baggy my pants were and noticing me pull them up often. I bought a few new pairs and discovered I'm a size 6, maybe close to a 4 at this point. Now that these are the clothes I'll likely be wearing for awhile...I want to buy higher quality items...but replacing a wardrobe is expensive! Hopefully I can get over the mental block at the same time I get over the "spend money" fact :P

I LITRALLY cannot wait to buy cute, little clothes! I love clothes and being able to look nice in them is such a great motivator for me!!!! God, I hope these boobs shrink!!! 😳

I hated shopping before, I love shopping now. I actually bought a pair of 32 inch slim Levi's at Kohl's that I fit into. If you would of told me a year ago that I would be a 32 inch waist I would of told you that you were crazy.

I loved my old clothes. I have been a very stylish person and I have many favorite items. I’m sad that I can’t just rebuy them smaller. Some of my old clothes fit loose and flowed a lot, some of them were flattering to my figure (despite being a person of size). So now I’m struggling with shopping and dressing my new body - smaller chest and oddly pear shaped (was not a pear before).

I agree with @redhead_che when she muses, “how to dress this new body?” I am going to hold out as much as I can, but even my belts are too small now.

Edited by Spellbound

Universal Standard, a women's online boutique, allows you to exchange sizes if your size changes in a year. They have a lot of cute stuff.

I enjoy shopping in-store now. At first it was weird, because my brain was trained to go to the 2XL section and i'd go there and find out.. oh.. these are too big. Then the 1XL section, then the Large section.. wohoo!!! almost to the Medium section!!!!! I still hold something up and think: I will NEVER Get into this.. Then it try it on and I think... You GO girlfriend! Try to enjoy the journey!

I hate shopping now, and my clothes are all alike, black and Gray. I personally think shopping for regular size clothes will be exciting. Good riddance to these old clothes, soon!