Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RECOVERY IS MORE COMPLICATED THAN I THOUGHT!

I was asked by another poster to start this thread. You see, although I had studied, I prepared, I thought understood as well as any other layperson what surgery and recovery would entail. And I had every intention of having a wonderful surgery, a seamless recovery, and a perfect future. Well it is not necessarily so.
Take me , a poster child for a lovely surgery. And it was, 6 tiny incisions criss-crossed with surgical tape, no nausea, no gas built up to expell. And although I was kept room-bound because of my age, I could walk, move around my room with no light-headness, oh Life was Wonderful.And I went home, still thinking everything is going to be fine.
And then I had my follow-up appointment, surgeon saw no reason why I could not progress my diet on, but my new pouch did not agree, and she still does not agree . Purees came up and still come up.
Six weeks tomorrow and I am on Stage 2A diet. I call it thus because some things on a regular stage 2 she will not tolerate.And Precious Pouch,something that dictates my life so completely needs a name, don't you agree? Well it was confirmed last Friday has a stomal stricture, no able to be dialated in one attempt, so a repeat EGJ,because the duodenum cannot be visualized I'd booked for October 26th, a week from Friday. I am losing weight like GangBusters,25 pounds since surgery, 40 since the end of July. But when do the Good Times roll?
So how has your recovery differed from what YOU PLANNED?

And here it is Jenn, for you and the rest to post in. My honor to have started it!

I am exactly two weeks post op. Overall, it went as i thought it would. The only surprises were:

1) I felt like a zombie (kinda outta my head) for the first full week.

2) I had way less restriction than i thought i would. (I had a lap-band till three years ago.) I'm thinking i was possibly used to that feeling of restriction and maybe expected more. I'm sure it'll show it's face once i start "real" food.

3) I thought the surgery would decrease my appetite more. I'm sure it has to a degree but my head still longs for flavors and textures quite a bit.

I have no regrets, so far so good. I feel like my normal self now. I'm ready to move to the next phase but can't for another few days per my instructions. Everything is just about healed. No nausea, vomiting, headaches or gerd. Ready to put, Popsicles, Jello and yogurt behind me!

I'm just over 2 months post op.

Mostly its been like what I expected. I'm losing weight pretty quickly. Over 40 pounds since surgery, and over 60 since my highest weight.

The unexpected part has been the gas. It still hasn't gone away, I wake up and am feeling 'belchy' and gross before I've even eaten anything. Almost everything I eat or drink (including water) seems to cause more of it too. Its humiliating if I'm in public (though I keep them quiet/silent as possible) and in generally I just feel pretty icky.

Bone Broth and yogurt seem to help, and my surgeon doesn't seem concerned, but its driving me crazy.

Still, I'd do it again! I have way more energy than I used to already and I'm excited for the future (hopefully one with less burbling and bubbles).

I had sleeve surgery on 10/10. I wasn’t expecting the nausea and constant vomiting the first 2 days or the terrible heartburn, which thankfully is going away. I also wasn’t expecting to GAIN 9lbs while I was in the hospital! The other thing i didn’t expect - i look pregnant! My stomach is so distended I look terrible! On the plus side - I never really had any pain (besides the heartburn).

I thought I was past prepared for a surgery like this. Physically I was. Surgery is nothing new to me. I've had a tonsillectomy, wisdom teeth removed, 2 D & C, 3 C-sections, gall bladder removed, and a hysterectomy. I thought I'm a pro at being put to sleep. It's more the mental part that's the hardest. Falling back into old behaviors just because I "crave" something or because I'm still "hungry". Who wants dry baked chicken when dry potato chips go down so much easier. Another thing I crave is crunch. I found I love scrambled eggs with diced red onion in it. .OMG so yummy. So, starting tomorrow. I"m going to plan my meals better where I don't get sick of the same things over and over. Cajun chicken breast in the crock pot is so juicy. But the physical part wasn't bad. OH, and I hate having to crush my meds to take them I'm sick of yogurt just from taking meds.

2 hours ago, Leia said:

I'm just over 2 months post op.

Mostly its been like what I expected. I'm losing weight pretty quickly. Over 40 pounds since surgery, and over 60 since my highest weight.

The unexpected part has been the gas. It still hasn't gone away, I wake up and am feeling 'belchy' and gross before I've even eaten anything. Almost everything I eat or drink (including water) seems to cause more of it too. Its humiliating if I'm in public (though I keep them quiet/silent as possible) and in generally I just feel pretty icky.

Bone Broth and yogurt seem to help, and my surgeon doesn't seem concerned, but its driving me crazy.

Still, I'd do it again! I have way more energy than I used to already and I'm excited for the future (hopefully one with less burbling and bubbles).

Do you still have your gallbladder?

1 hour ago, cindy t said:

Do you still have your gallbladder?

@cindy t I do still have it.
I think both my grandma and her mom have had theirs removed so maybe mines an issue?

I've heard that burping/belching can be a symptom of gall bladder issues but after googling, it might just have something to do with how you are reacting to the surgery. Here's what I found:

Burping is a normal physiological mechanism that help to get rid of ingested air from the stomach. During every swallow a small mount of air is ingested. The build up of air stretches the fundus (top part of the stomach) and results in a brief relaxation of the valve at the lower end of the oesophagus (gullet) resulting in venting off the trapped air. This is the classic gastric burping and it is the type that can increase after sleeve gastrectomy.
In addition to burping air from the stomach there is another type of burping called
supragastric burping. In this type the vented air does not come from the stomach but instead it is sucked into the oesophagus just before it is expelled out. Ordinary individuals who suffer from excessive burping almost always suffer from excess supragastric and not gastric burping. This type of burping is not affected by sleeve gastrectomy.

I'm exactly 2weeks post op today. I'm a super active person and though morbidly obese I still worked out pretty regularly and intensely. I guess I thought I'd come home from the hospital uncomfortable, but walking hours a day. Low and behold I tore my left ab muscle getting in the car wrong that first week home. I've been in more pain than I ever have! My dr. directed me to stay in the recliner with ice and heat as much as Possible. Now I'm losing my mind just sitting here waiting to heal! Ugh! I had planned on being over the pain and moving around long ago! But yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I wasn’t prepared for the emotional changes I experienced after surgery. I was sleeved July 10th and while I’m much more at peace with my decision to have the surgery at this point, I struggled with anxiety and depression for the first couple of weeks post op. It gets better.