Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my date... now questions

Obesitylaw.com won my appeal so I got my date yesterday 12/20/07. My question(s) are these:clap2::

1. What would you have done to prepare for coming home if you knew then what you know now? (Keep in mind I live alone)

2. What do wish would have known that didn't know before having the surgery?

Thanks, Lisa:help:

I had a very painful time after the surgery so definitely be organised with all your juices, drinks etc if you live alone. Might be an idea to have family or friend to stay for a few days just to make sure you are OK. Some people don't have very much trouble at all after the surgery, others really struggle. I wish I had known how hard it would be to stick to liquids only and how much I would miss chewing. Mind you now that I am eating solids, my jaw sometimes gets sore from chewing so much. But I think everyones experience is different, you just have to get through it the best you can. Hope this helps.

I would definitely recommend you have someone stay with you the first 24-48 hours. I couldn't get up from a sitting position by myself without help from my husband. (this includes sitting down and getting up from the toilet). At 48 hours I could sit and get up by myself but just slowly. I honestly thought that I would be driving around and shopping by day 3, but I was slower to recover. I drove on day 6, but I still had some pain. I went back to work on day 7, but if I dropped something, I still couldn't bend over and pick it up.

Make sure you have lots of fluid/broth. sugar-free popsicles are a must have. Get a lot of different kinds. Also, I was lactose intolerant right after the surgery, so when I used milk for my Protein shake, it made my stomach upset. The dr. said this is normal and it went away after about 3 weeks.

Congratulations on your surgery date!! You are going to love the banded side :P

Clense your system the night before suyrgery. Drink fleet or laxative of your choice to ensure you are on empty. Oh and buy some gasx for post op. You will need it. Take your pain meds as often as you need them. Dont wait until you are sore before you take it beacuse it take a while to kick in. Dont have an adgenda. Just relax as long as you can. Best of luck. It was not bad for me at all.

I didn't know that my surgeon was going to use staples instead of stitches. I would have asked for stitches if I'd known.

Get everything ready so that you can just get home and crash into bed. Have someone pick up your pain meds on the way home.

Good luck!

Sue

I am finding all of the information interesting and SO different. For instance, this topic of how to prepare. I was told no fleet or laxatives. I am to do an eight day liver cleansing all liquid diet prior to the surgery. That's it. Then I am to do 7 days or less of all liquids, followed by 7 days or less of pureed foods, followed by 7 days or less or soft foods, and the on to regular foods, eating every two hours and drinking. Lots of Protein added to everything from day one, no sugary or melted foods recommended, and I was told I could probably return to work within 3-5 days. Of course, everyone is different so it is probably best to listen and follow doctor's orders as it seems that each doctor does things a bit differently.

~ D ~

I didn't know that my surgeon was going to use staples instead of stitches. I would have asked for stitches if I'd known.

Get everything ready so that you can just get home and crash into bed. Have someone pick up your pain meds on the way home.

Good luck!

Sue

Even better, ask your doctor to call in your prescription ahead of time so you can pick it up before your surgery. That's what I did, partly because coltonwade, a friend I met through LBT, told me that some pharmacies do not always stock the liquid medicines and have to order it.

1. Definetly have someone drive you home - and take a pillow to hold on your stomach to prevent the jiggles and pain that comes from jiggles. I did ask for a cup of crushed ice togo since I was so THIRSTY!

2. I didn't get to the true RESTRICTION till almost month 5. So no need to have had the mentality - Last time I can eat this or that. Not True - so don't get into the LAST MEAL syndrom.

Place things where you can easily reach them, wear shoes that you can slide on as bending is a little painful for the first few days.

Good Luck!