Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control pills and blood clots

Long post

My surgery was scheduled for October 22, I was on my count down to my 15 day liquid diet and ready for surgery. That isn’t going to happen now for at least 3 months possibly up to a year.

I had upped my exercise routine about a month ago. I had finished my last set of the day when I felt a sharp pain in my mid back left side. It kept hurting while I showered and went through my day. I took some meds and went on with life. By evening i was sure I had strained a muscle.

I went back to my gym the next day, I swim, than lift weights and showed than home for a late Breakfast . It started to hurt to breath but when I took a deep breath it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back and my chest. By 6am Saturday morning I was in so much pain ever breath I took doubled me over. My husband rushed me to the hospital.

After blood test, ekg , x-rays and CT scan I had my dx. My results were back from CT very fast. I have 21 blood clots in my left lung and 9 in my right lung. When they showed me the CT scan they counted the little buggers. They started me on IV Heparin and got me a room.

I was in shock when they told me I had all of these blood clots. I asked what caused them. I never had any pain in my legs where they normally start and move up to your lungs, heart and brain. I have been losing weight now for 7 months, exercising and eating healthy. What the hell it had to be now just a month before surgery.

To answer that YES!!!! I am damn lucky to be alive. I am glad this happened now and not in the middle of surgery or after.

My doctors said that they feel the estrogen in the birth control pills I was on caused the blood clots. I started them because my periods have gotten crazy after losing 80lbs in the last 7 months. I was on them 42 days. I was due to stop them the day I was admitted to the hospital . Because we have to stop them a month before surgery. I also found out I now have to do blood test to see if I have a blood clotting disorder. I am on blood thinners for a year at this point.

I am sad my surgery is not October 22, but glad this came up before.

I know birth control pills are the easiest way for a lot of women. My doctor said very casually they have some side effects but those pass in a few months. There is a very small risk of blood clots. Then she went on with another subject. I knew this was a possibility but it was not even in my realm of thinking when I went to the ER.

Please don’t wait 8 days like I did. Even if it is only a strained muscle if you are taking birth control pills and you feel off for any reason call your doctor or get to the ER.

I have my last class for my required 6 months of nutritional education on Wednesday this week, all my other test are done, I was ready. I am still ready. This is not going to stop me from my surgery and a health life. I am more determined then ever to see this through.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully everything will get back on track for you quickly. Good thing they caught those blood clots, they can definitely be fatal.

And hugs from Ohio and Me! You are going to make it through even with this slow-down!😛

Wow, that's absolutely terrifying! You were so fortunate to have found out in time (well, and unfortunate to be one of the few who get blood clots.) Best wishes that this all gets resolved quickly. ((hug))

Factor V (5) Leiden is a genetic clotting disorder that can go undetected until it smacks you down with PE (pulmonary embolisms - clots in the lungs). My mother-in-law has Factor V Leiden and found out when she developed PEs like you. One of her kids has the gene, one does not. If it turns out you have Factor V Leiden and you have kids, they will want to be tested for the gene as young adults or at least before taking birth control pills.

May you recover quickly, and I'm sorry you had to experience this!

And this Leiden V factor can been a scary thing. Do you remember the NBC news correspondent embedded with troops during the Gulf War.vNever had this diagnosed, maybe didn't even know,of,it. Threw a Pulmonary Embolism and died Pretty young guy for it to happen to.

RapidFirePickle
I got into my hematologists very fast, he has already started to run a few genetic blood test and Factor V Leiden was negative, I see him again soon and if the other one is negative we will draw more blood and run more test.

When I had my appendectomy last year I acquired three blood clots in my right arm after surgery, the doctors said that it was a combination of the estrogen birth control that I was taking and my weight. I’m sorry you can’t have your surgery yet but I’m SO glad you caught this before something more serious happened.

If you ever need help or info about blood clots just let know, I’ve been through it all. I also have post thrombotic syndrome now in my arm because of the damage the clots did to my veins. Just keep your chin up and keep being the champ you are! ❤️❤️❤️