Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im exhausted 11 days post-op need advice

Hi there,

This is my 1st message. I am 11 days post up. I have lost 30 pds but I am totally exhausted. I do 3 Protein Shakes a day and 1 cup of yogurt and drink Water. Just no energy I star back to work tomorrow.

thanks

Kickbutt, Sorry to hear you are feeling so tired. I remember being pretty tired for the first 6 weeks post op. Also, I took 3 weeks off work, and am really glad I had all that time to focus on myself and my healing. It wasn't until after 6 weeks that I had energy to even THINK about doing anything beyond normal self-care (personal hygiene, meals), paid work, and exercise on a daily basis. I remember my sister having had an appendectomy and asking her surgeon at her post op check up why she was so tired. He commented that surgery is surgery, and it's a trauma to the body, and it takes a lot of rest and time for the body to return to normal. Please be gentle with yourself and take good care of you!

51 minutes ago, kick butt take names said:

Hi there,

This is my 1st message. I am 11 days post up. I have lost 30 pds but I am totally exhausted. I do 3 Protein Shakes a day and 1 cup of yogurt and drink Water. Just no energy I star back to work tomorrow.

thanks

Everyone heals at different speeds. I'm sorry you're struggling. I was exhausted for several weeks after surgery, too. I hope it gets better soon. I think part of it is the surgery but I think it also takes some bodies longer than others to want to burn stored fat rather than food for energy. I think my body was having a grade-A hissy fit about giving up some of it's stockpile.

I don't know what you are drinking for Protein Shakes but it sounds like you could only be getting about 400 calories a day. No wonder you are exhausted! Talk to your doctor; make sure you are getting enough Protein and calories.

I don't know what you are drinking for Protein Shakes but it sounds like you could only be getting about 400 calories a day. No wonder you are exhausted! Talk to your doctor; make sure you are getting enough Protein and calories.
400 cals was where I was at 11 days and I didn't have a lot of energy, but I was OK. I was at 450 cals at week 2.
I returned to work on day 7 and it was a very slow week. By the end of week 2 I was feeling much better.
Make sure you are meeting your Protein goals and Water goals and like many have said everyone heals differently, just listen to your body. You know it best. Don't over do it.

Eight weeks out and still need a nap every day.

first off, I'm impressed that you are already drinking 3 Protein Shakes and 55 oz of water! Thats amazing by the way. ( Well, I think that is) I'm 23 days and only at 2 Protein shakes and 46 oz of Water. congrats! But your body is healing and might need something. I would call your doctor.

I had issues with exhaustion, shaky-ness and feeling like I was going to pass out. I received a B-12 shot from my surgeon's office, and that seemed to solve the issue. I now take B12 sublingual.

Another September 5? Goody goody. Hi from an RnY in Central Ohio.😝👋

I had way more energy post surgery than I did pre. I think it was the B12. I've read a lot of people suggest it. It was something my PCP had me on for the past 2 years and I havn't stopped taking anything she's prescribed. (Of course it was all approved by the surgeon).

Hi there,
thanks
I'm 4 weeks post op and just starting to get energy back. I originally planned to be off work two weeks but had issues in week 1 - dehydration, extra IV fluids - so I took an extra week off. If you can't make it through tomorrow consider staying back out of work another week. Just my thoughts. Amazing you're reaching Protein and Water goals. I'm still not there. I'm even thinking I may need to go back in again for IV fluids. [emoji20]