Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tried a diet coke today...

On 09/12/2018 at 10:27, MargoCL said:

I gave up sodas many years ago, but I can't say that I haven't indulge in one or two over those years (BF would say that since he's known me I probably have drank 100 over the course of our relationship - 3 years... LOL).

From a surgery standpoint, I won't drink it now just because I'm soon post op, but I will say when I feel cruddy, there is nothing better than a seagrams ginger ale. And I suspect in the future should I feel that way, I will reach out to old faithful.

I, too, gave up soda years ago. I was addicted. Never drank anything but diet soda. Diet soda is so bad for a normal body. Artificial sweetener is truly a health nightmare and studies indicate that carbonation may actually be very bad even for a normal digestive system.

3 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

I, too, gave up soda years ago. I was addicted. Never drank anything but diet soda. Diet soda is so bad for a normal body. Artificial sweetener is truly a health nightmare and studies indicate that carbonation may actually be very bad even for a normal digestive system.

Show me those studies?

And if artificial sweeteners are a health nightmare, then why is every bariatric diet program full of them?

22 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Tons of bottled Water sold, but only a super small amount is carbonated. Only in fine dining, or a very European style restaurant do you have the choice of still or carbonated Water.

What is becoming huge, is lightly flavored sparkling water, like La Croix.

https://www.lacroixwater.com/flavors/

^^ like she said.

Bottled water is readily available everywhere, but it isn't carbonated. And even things like La Croix which is gaining popularity, can't be found in most "fast stop" places or restaurants.

21 minutes ago, Screwballski said:

My program gave us a list of ingredients to mix with our provided Protein. also, recipes that we could use during the pre op diet. I remember one of them was a spin on a "dreamcicle" and it had diet orange soda as one of the ingredients. I never did try it because something about mixing soda and Protein Powder grossed me out... but allowed nonetheless. I think that there will be some interesting info that comes out in the future about artificial sweeteners, but until its fact and not speculation, I'm going to continue using my stevia, ect. Who knows, we may learn the hard way, people smoked in hospitals 40 years ago, and now you can't smoke within 15 feet of a building in IL. I honestly don't know if the circulated info about artificial sweeteners being bad for you is a legit concern or another fad diet trend.

2 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Two things I gave up that I still bewail are sparkling Water (Voss, and Saratoga are literally the best) and movie theater popcorn.

I miss sparkling water...

My hubby brought me home movie theater popcorn last night. I fill up one of the snack size baggies full and that's my limit. But I can see where it can be a giant slippery slide!

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Just a quick question: after reading this thread I thought once again that users on here seem to associate "carbonation" automatically with either "soda" or "diet soda".

I think that most users on here seem to be US Americans. I'm curious because in Germany bubbling Water is a big thing. You can buy a really big variety of brands of bottled Water and many brands come in "no carbonation", "medium carbonation" and "usual carbonation".

Aren't US Americans simply not into carbonated water?

HAHA! I was walking around Berlin a few years ago checking out the sights, and i stopped at a small convenience mart near the city center and ask for a bottle of water. The lady behind the window asked me if i wanted "still" or "fizzy" (I think it was fizzy). I couldnt really understand because of the accent.

She could obviously tell I was a dumb American who didnt understand, so then she said "You vant zee bubbles or not zee bubbles".

I said OOHHHHHHHH!!! No bubbles please!

I too enjoy some diet coke now n than, BUT, when I order it at a restaurant, or where someone else is getting it for me, I impress upon them that IT'S DIET. RIGHT ?????? if they hesitate, I send it back. I'm a diabetic and have had experiences of dangerously high blood sugar because the server didn't think it important to give me diet.

Just now, laurileet said:

I too enjoy some diet coke now n than, BUT, when I order it at a restaurant, or where someone else is getting it for me, I impress upon them that IT'S DIET. RIGHT ?????? if they hesitate, I send it back. I'm a diabetic and have had experiences of dangerously high blood sugar because the server didn't think it important to give me diet.

I do the exact same thing. I make them repeat my order back at a restaurant and drive thru. And I always, always, always taste it before driving off.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, sillykitty said:

Thanks for sharing the websites. Looks like interesting info.

2. Practice mindful eating: sit, chew, and breathe with your food!

Actually look at it. Taste it. Smell it. Use your senses! Appreciate what is on the plate. This way your brain will signal "satiety" and you'll be less likely to overeat.

One of the best pieces of advice for those of us who are fast eaters or rush through our meals. After WLS it's best to eat slowly, enjoy each bite and give your brain time to catch up to your stomach. Prior to WLS it was a race to see how much I could eat in the shortest amount of time, take a deep breath and continue. Today it's mindful eating, taking small bites and enjoying each one for a longer period of time.

I stopped all carbonated beverages pre op on the advice of my nutritionist. I don't miss them and I substitute them with plain Water or a sugar free mix like Crystal Light.I continued it after WLS because It's just a preference of mine. I associate the diet soda with my past eating habits. I would go into a restaurant order a cheeseburger deluxe and a dessert and say it was ok because I'm washing it down with a diet soda. One less trigger food or drink in my recovery from compulsive eating is a good thing for me.

9 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Show me those studies?

And if artificial sweeteners are a health nightmare, then why is every bariatric diet program full of them?

Can you maybe just google? I’m not talking about Stevia, chickory, Truvia...natural based sweeteners. I’m talking about the aspartame, Splenda, Equal, etc. Those you’ll find in most diet drinks unless you seek out the stevia versions. The science has been sound for over a decade.

As far as carbonation, it’s a bit more speculative but there are articles and literature available. Again, google. I don’t owe you my time or service. Or don’t. Your health is not my responsibility. Get off my jock, would you please? Every comment I make doesn’t have to be your personal call to arms.

I’m glad you were able to enjoy something you liked. Don’t let anyone make you feel any type of way for your choices. This is a judgement free zone!

7 hours ago, Screwballski said:

Can you maybe just google? I’m not talking about Stevia, chickory, Truvia...natural based sweeteners. I’m talking about the aspartame, Splenda, Equal, etc. Those you’ll find in most diet drinks unless you seek out the stevia versions. The science has been sound for over a decade.

As far as carbonation, it’s a bit more speculative but there are articles and literature available. Again, google. I don’t owe you my time or service. Or don’t. Your health is not my responsibility. Get off my jock, would you please? Every comment I make doesn’t have to be your personal call to arms.

If you make the claim, you need to provide the evidence. That's how logic works.

Ohhh I loved me a flavored seltzer Water before surgery!!! Maybe it’s a regional thing here in the states, but they are pretty popular thing in the north east.

Going on Ash’s point that it’s difficult to find carbonated beverages that aren’t soda at quick stop locations.. it’s also really difficult to find drinks that are low or no calorie at such places. Your option is basically water.. or if you’re lucky Vitamin water zero or Powerade zero. Every tea option is usually loaded in sugar. The same goes with any Protein Drink that they may have.

I realize this thread has gotten hijacked. @BuzzVSG, it sounds like you’ve gotten to a place with your surgery that the occasional treat or splurge isn’t going to set you back.. so congrats!

I do think it’s important that we give ourselves small concessions like this, because this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, not a prison sentence. I hope that once I get to maintenance, I’m able to balance my diet well enough to occasionally enjoy the things I gave up for surgery.