Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've seen some great posts here, so I'm hoping I'll get a response. Sorry that this is so long.

I was sleeved end of April. My starting weight was 200lbs. I am 5'5, and 55 years old. I was sleeved in Thailand, because this is where I live now. I wasn't given a liquid diet recommendation, just no alcohol, and watch fat and carb intake. I ate normally the night before surgery. I had broth for 2 days, then they had me on scrambled eggs for two days. After that I ate chicken, regular chicken that I needed to chew a lot. Here I am about 5 months out with a weight loss of 30 pounds. I don't do much cardio, because of a bad knee (the reason for my sleeve was to lose weight for a major joint replacement in October). I lift every other day for 1.5 hours and I use 10 to 20 pound weights for arms and shoulders. I've noticed inches lost, but not nearly as much weight lost as I expected. The only advice the doctor gave me is to cut out all grains, rice, potatoes, dairy, sugar and fruit. In other words, just eat Protein and veg. I was told to take a Multi-Vitamin, Iron, and Calcium with a D supplement. And drink lots of Water. I was very strict the 1st two months (and still no major weight loss), started "slipping" at the beginning of July with oatmeal or whole grain bread once a day. Went a little nuts toward the end of the month with the occasional chocolate and chips, and in August really refocused myself. Still nothing. My average calorie intake is between 850 and 950 right now. I woke up today with sore joints (not sore muscles). Please, I know you aren't doctors (mine is inaccessible, due to location), but I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Also, at times of the day I seriously feel ravenous...not just hungry, but I could seriously eat anything. I'm a lot hungrier during the day than I expected to be.

Edited by dlturn
Forgot info.

7 hours ago, dlturn said:

I've seen some great posts here, so I'm hoping I'll get a response. Sorry that this is so long.

I was sleeved end of April. My starting weight was 200lbs. I am 5'5, and 55 years old. I was sleeved in Thailand, because this is where I live now. I wasn't given a liquid diet recommendation, just no alcohol, and watch fat and carb intake. I ate normally the night before surgery. I had broth for 2 days, then they had me on scrambled eggs for two days. After that I ate chicken, regular chicken that I needed to chew a lot. Here I am about 5 months out with a weight loss of 30 pounds. I don't do much cardio, because of a bad knee (the reason for my sleeve was to lose weight for a major joint replacement in October). I lift every other day for 1.5 hours and I use 10 to 20 pound weights for arms and shoulders. I've noticed inches lost, but not nearly as much weight lost as I expected. The only advice the doctor gave me is to cut out all grains, rice, potatoes, dairy, sugar and fruit. In other words, just eat Protein and veg. I was told to take a Multi-Vitamin, Iron, and Calcium with a D supplement. And drink lots of Water. I was very strict the 1st two months (and still no major weight loss), started "slipping" at the beginning of July with oatmeal or whole grain bread once a day. Went a little nuts toward the end of the month with the occasional chocolate and chips, and in August really refocused myself. Still nothing. My average calorie intake is between 850 and 950 right now. I woke up today with sore joints (not sore muscles). Please, I know you aren't doctors (mine is inaccessible, due to location), but I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Also, at times of the day I seriously feel ravenous...not just hungry, but I could seriously eat anything. I'm a lot hungrier during the day than I expected to be.

Yep, I'm not a medical professional. Five months out and 30 pounds is great. Glad you are refocusing. it's not about losing quickly. Its being consistent and the scale will move.

If you are still in thailand can you contact you surgeon's office? Do they have a dietician? Any paperwork on your instructions? You can always contact another bariatric program to get true medical advice on how to work your sleeve.

Some foods you already know will put you in weight gain.Keep them out of the house so you are not tempted. Also stalls happen. You can search this site to find ideas on how to handle stalls.

Are you weighing and logging your food in a food App like myfitnesspal? This will total your calories Protein carbs and fats. It's a great tool. You need to know how you are fueling your body.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android&hl=en_US

Food and calories. You are going to receive hundreds of different diet suggestions from forum members. Again no one is a medical professional on Bariatricpal.

Sounds like your instructions were about the same as mine.( High protein low carb from veggies, exercise, no sugar and water) As you progress out with sleeve surgery you can hold more food. A few things that may help with hunger. Make sure you are hitting your protein goal. 60 to 100 grams. You can raise this number. Add more veggies to fill the extra space. Eat frequent small meals a day. Make sure your food increase is healthy foods that fit your macro goals for the day.

Activity level will affect the number of calories you intake. Some times raising calories can jump start your weight loss again. If you notice a gain you can adjust your calories up or down to find where your body starts back into weight loss mode.

Carbs are energy. I got my carbs in with vegetables for weight loss mode.

This is not a part of my plan - Many people here have different instructions and approaches to carbs. Whole wheat sweet potato brown rice..nothing processed or white.

To each their own on instructions and plans. Find what works for you.