Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I’ve posted this in the guys’ section but I’m hoping to get a little more feedback here. Thanks.

Ok everyone, I have a question. I’ve been approved for VSG on September 7th I’ve been reading the forums and have seen a lot of posts about weight regain following VSG over the long term. My doctor (Dr. Keshishian) initially wanted to do the DS but I told him I felt more comfortable with the sleeve. He told me that the DS has a more rapid initial weight loss, but over the long term both surgeries are similar in weight loss according to current data. So I guess my question is, is VSG a surgery that has a higher incidence of weight regain? I realize that everyone is different, and there’s no way to definitively know the eventual success or failure outcome, I’m just trying get real life answer from those who have experience.

Thanks in Advance

Edited by balrog429

6 hours ago, balrog429 said:

Hi everyone! I’ve posted this in the guys’ section but I’m hoping to get a little more feedback here. Thanks.

Ok everyone, I have a question. I’ve been approved for VSG on September 7th I’ve been reading the forums and have seen a lot of posts about weight regain following VSG over the long term. My doctor (Dr. Keshishian) initially wanted to do the DS but I told him I felt more comfortable with the sleeve. He told me that the DS has a more rapid initial weight loss, but over the long term both surgeries are similar in weight loss according to current data. So I guess my question is, is VSG a surgery that has a higher incidence of weight regain? I realize that everyone is different, and there’s no way to definitively know the eventual success or failure outcome, I’m just trying get real life answer from those who have experience.

Thanks in Advance

I'm sorry but he's not exactly correct. Similar sure, but the bypass and ds both have higher weight loss amounts and longer weight loss retention than the sleeve does. Look around for sleeve revisions, there are quite a few. Did your doctor tell you about the increased acid reflux issues that are super common with the sleeve?

Individual results vary, many times based on compliance. I have seen bypass patients regain too, or never get to goal. There is no magic.

Not everyone will regain, not everyone will get acid reflux with vsg, not everyone will have Vitamin deficiencies or ulcers with bypass - but those issues do happen. There are a lot of success stories long term with both surgeries.

I plan on making mine a success. I have had reflux 3 times in 10 months and very mild, fixed with one pepcid.

8 hours ago, balrog429 said:

Thanks in Advance

Your surgeon knows your medical history. They have read through your psych eval and blood work. The chioce is ultimately up to you. Since you asked about the sleeve I will give you my two cents.

Each of us are more than the statistics. I lost 120 pounds in 6 months with the sleeve. My goal was 140. I am five years out and maintaining in the 130s. Nothing magic about the bariatric process. Follow your plan and behavior changes.

Weight gain can happen to any type of surgery: Small or large amounts of weight.

After a year you may see a ten to twenty pound bounce. It can be lost again. Maintaining is if you have a gain you go back to your bariatric plan and get the weight off.

If you can't change your relationship with food and exercise you will not have long term success with any type of surgery. People with bariatrics have revisions due to different issues. (medical, not following their plan, mobility and eating disorders etc)

Sleeve realities: Things to know.

(1) less chance dumping syndrome if you eat sugar. (some will experience it) If sugar is an issue for you, you might want a different type of surgery.

Lots of debate about stomach stretching. (yes it happens but it's rare) I am going to pass on reading any following angry posts about stomach stretching.

(2a) Your restriction will be less as time passes. This is normal with the sleeve. Your stomach has not grown back or stretched. It's a new feeling of stomach capacity. It's rare to see revision due to stretching. Think of how much food you would have to binge and force down in one sitting to cause stretching to the point of revision.

2b) Many people confuse grazing with stomach stretching. Grazing is eating several meals throughout the day healthy or unhealthy foods. Your calories will seriously increase. It is as if you didn't have surgery at all. (google it) I also see some surgeons take advantage of gain due to grazing. It's a money maker to do another surgery.

This is life long change with any type of surgery. It is still work after you get to gaol.

Edited by skinnylife