Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waking up in pain after surgery

So I’m not sure if anyone can really help me with this question cause I know everyone is different and I’m a baby. But I keep hearing people saying the were in excruciating pain waking up after surgery. I had a hysterectomy and they went in lap so my abdomen was blown up as well. When I woke up from that I was ok I mean it hurt but not as bad is making it out to be and that worries me. As for the gas pain I do remember that just being uncomfortable but nothing crazy. I just would like to know so u can try my best to prepare myself.

I'd say it was about the same as a hysterectomy. I was sore, but not incapacitated. Sounds like you'll be fine.

I had moderate but tolerable pain afterwards, and I'm not very tolerant of pain (I've been known to pass out at sharp, sudden pains like sprained ankles, if the conditions are right). The worst was partly my own fault, I didn't ask how often I was allowed to use my pain pump, and assumed it would be a long time between hits...my pain built up pretty high before the nurses clarified that I could use it once every 10 minutes.

Edited by Russ D

Low pain tolerance for me, waking up was fine because they still had enough meds in me , but make sure you advocate for yourself if the pain meds aren't work in recovery. They didn't get it right for a day. I was in misery. Pain management prior to leaving the hospital is important.

I haven't had my surgery yet but my surgeon said the sleeve is not as painful and they can give you a great pain block during surgery that actually lasts two days, lessening your need for a lot of opioid meds during those first and worst days, and the side effects that come with those meds.

When I woke up I just wanted to go back to sleep so the nurse that was in charge of giving me my pain meds said if I can sleep than I not in enough pain to need them. I was ok with it until about an hour later when the pain kicked in. After I got the pain meds I was fine and it wasn't bad. I had my last dose of pain meds the next day at around noon and went home around 7pm. I think I took the Tylenol w/ codeine they prescribed me 2 or 3 times due to my "belly" pain. I did use it here and there for my back pain but pain from surgery was very low after I got home.

I'm going to be honest with you, not to scare you, but to prepare yourself for what might happen. Keep in mind that not everyone's experience is like mine.

My surgery was just a few weeks ago. I am no stranger to surgeries and anesthesia, as this is my fourth. I woke up in the recovery room in sheer panic. I didn't notice pain, but I felt like I couldn't expand my lungs enough to breathe and I said so with my first breath. A nurse standing over me said, "you are doing fine, your oxygen saturation level is 98%. We'll put you back to sleep to give you a bit more time before we take you up to your room." And just about the time she finished saying that, I was out again, and don't remember waking up again until they were wheeling me down the hall and into the elevator. And I could breathe much easier then, though I still couldn't take breaths that were as deep as I wanted to breathe. I felt *much* better as the hours went on. Nurses told me that pain meds could cause nausea, so I refused them. Never even had Tylenol. And honestly, the pain was never above 3 out of 10, so I didn't miss them.

On 08/21/2018 at 16:12, gr8ful1 said:

I'm going to be honest with you, not to scare you, but to prepare yourself for what might happen. Keep in mind that not everyone's experience is like mine.

My surgery was just a few weeks ago. I am no stranger to surgeries and anesthesia, as this is my fourth. I woke up in the recovery room in sheer panic. I didn't notice pain, but I felt like I couldn't expand my lungs enough to breathe and I said so with my first breath. A nurse standing over me said, "you are doing fine, your oxygen saturation level is 98%. We'll put you back to sleep to give you a bit more time before we take you up to your room." And just about the time she finished saying that, I was out again, and don't remember waking up again until they were wheeling me down the hall and into the elevator. And I could breathe much easier then, though I still couldn't take breaths that were as deep as I wanted to breathe. I felt *much* better as the hours went on. Nurses told me that pain meds could cause nausea, so I refused them. Never even had Tylenol. And honestly, the pain was never above 3 out of 10, so I didn't miss them.

What the hell?! So why couldn't you breath when you woke up the first time? And how and why would they put you back under!?

And thanks to everyone's responses I would much rather be prepared than surprised 💕

35 minutes ago, ALEandVSG said:
1 hour ago, gr8ful1 said:

What the hell?! So why couldn't you breath when you woke up the first time? And how and why would they put you back under!?

I think she may have said, "we're going to give you something to help you sleep" or something like that. So I'm not sure I was given more propofol. More likely they put something milder in my IV.

Also, I could breathe, but I could only take very shallow breaths. I thought that my abdomen was over-inflated. I'm not sure if that was really the cause though, because when I woke up for the 2nd time, I could breathe a bit deeper, and I never really had any issues with gas pains that night or any other day after surgery. :unsure:

I've wondered the same thing. My surgery is Thursday so I'll try to check in that evening to let you know how I'm feeling.

On 08/21/2018 at 21:38, ChellNC said:

I've wondered the same thing. My surgery is Thursday so I'll try to check in that evening to let you know how I'm feeling.

My surgery is exactly a week from yours I know it's asking a lot but that would really be great if you could update me. That's why I love this forum everyone one here is awesome and everyone has your back. Much appreciated!

If I don't feel like getting on Thursday night I'll check in Friday. :)

You aren't asking a lot at all. It helps to know.

6 hours ago, gr8ful1 said:

You know, come to think of it, breathing was uncomfortable for me too. I didn't have a panic attack over it, but my breaths were very shallow due to the gas inflation. That was one of the reasons I wanted to get the gas out of me as soon as possible (it would be a few days before I was feeling better on that). A breathing therapist came around to me every few hours in the hospital and made me do exercises. I also had a breathing tool that she wanted me to use every 15 minutes regardless of whether I was there or not, to keep expanding my lung capacity (hurt) and fight any Fluid that was wanting to build up there.

I remember the feeling of the gas from my hysterectomy I felt extra bloated uncomfortable and a hard time taking a deep breath also my shoulders and the bottom of my neck was soooo sore that’s was the worst. Not looking forward to that but I will come out the other end a stronger, healthier and happier person.