Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get in enough fluids and Protein post op?

9 hours ago, Littel_Urchin said:

I love Protein Water for this purpose. I take something called Prowater, it has 25g of Protein and 480ml of liquid in one bottle and it doesn't give me nausea. I develop gas if I take dairy (which feels like nausea), especially if I sip too fast. Not so with protein Water.

Second this. I found Protein2O water at Target and I love the Mixed berry flavor. For some reason it goes down much easier than regular water or Protein Shakes for me. 15 grams of protein in each 16.9 oz bottle -- so I have been adding 1-2 of those per day so I am able to knock out my protein requirement (I can only drink about a half shake at a time) and get my water/liquids to 64 oz.

I agree with Sleevedllama, I love the Protein20 Water. I pick mine up at Walmart and the coconut is my favorite.

19 hours ago, kristy2671 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum (well I've been registered and lurking since my surgery) and am 9 days Post Op (surgery date 8/10/18).

I am having a very very hard time with getting in my fluids and Protein Shakes. I think I'm having issues with knowing how to "pace" or "sip" I tried having some Soup (butternut squash like pureed) and I felt like I over ate each time, same with chicken broth I think I might sip on it too fast? I try to sip Water throughout the day and I get nervous that I'm going to go too fast or take too much or do something wrong to my baby stomach. :( I have already been to the dr once for IV fluids and a B 12 shot and I don't want to have to do that again but it's so hard for me (I practiced before surgery and everything!) I feel good otherwise but the not eating or drinking enough leaves me tired walking up stairs or from the kitchen to the living room. I just now reintroduced myself back to taking my Iron pills, and heartburn pills. I keep forgetting to take the Multivitamin and Calcium because I'm always trying to sip Water and get my Protein shakes/'foods" in so my dr gave me permission to order the Patches.

I want to do things right and not mess up but this part is harder than I thought! If anyone has any tips/tricks they can offer I would be most grateful! I have an app that tells me to drink every 15 minutes but I still can't get 64 oz in. :(

Kristy

I wouldn't be too concerned about hurting your stomach with liquids. That being said, I always measured with my "meals", whether it be with SF Jello, broth, Protein Shakes, ect. I didn't want to be over consuming too many calories in the early stages. This could hinder your weight loss in the beginning. Liquids are slider foods and you will not feel restriction like you do with pureed and soft foods.

Honestly, I tried to mix it up with regards to liquids. I sipped on a lot of veggie Bone Broth (not for Protein necessarily, but for liquid), SF popsicles (when they weren't too sweet), protein water, watered down 100% juice, caffeine free tea, crystal light, Vitamin Water Zero, children's Pedialyte, and Powerade Zero. I tried to alternate between cold and warm liquids.

I never ever quite made the 64 oz goal, and still struggle with it to this very day. That is why I drank a lot of children's Pedialyte because, it helped with electrolytes. I used my urine color as an indication of my hydration levels. I have never been hospitalized for dehydration, so I'm lucky, due to the fact that I never make my goals.

Things do get easier!

I'm post surgery 21 days and I also had a tough time getting it all the fluids. My daughter told me to set my apple watch to vibrate every 15 mins and drink Water I don't reset the timer until I drink water, also every day you'll be able to take larger sips.

I am 3 days post-op. I am doing pretty well with my liquids. However, I am only on Clear Liquids. I really try to just listen to my belly. I know that right when I wake up, my stomach is sore, so when I drink, I feel that brick feeling. I then take a deep breath, and I feel my belly gurgle, and then I feel better. I really just take it very slow. I constantly take tiny little sips. It is like you are sipping constantly, but that's what we gotta do. I hope the best for you!

Thanks everyone! I'm doing much better now I bought a 32 oz water bottle with a sport lid so I can sip all day long and it is stainless steel and insulated so my Water stays ice cold over 24 hours.

Still struggling with the Protein Shakes I just don't "like" them so going to see if I can find ways to make them better...

My whole day feels like all I'm doing is "eating" or drinking lol but that's ok I want to be successful so I'm following the plan :)

Isopure ready-made blue raspberry or punch Protein Drinks diluted with crystal light lemonade - I could not stand sweet shakes after surgery, also Walmart Bone Broth warmed.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:06 PM, teemags48 said:

I'm post surgery 21 days and I also had a tough time getting it all the fluids. My daughter told me to set my apple watch to vibrate every 15 mins and drink Water I don't reset the timer until I drink Water, also every day you'll be able to take larger sips.

You can also get the Waterminder app, which works on the watch and the phone and helps you track and reminds you when to drink!

What kind of broth are you drinking? Bone Broth has a lot more Protein than regular canned broth, maybe that will help getting a few extra grams in.

3 hours ago, kristy2671 said:

Thanks everyone! I'm doing much better now I bought a 32 oz Water bottle with a sport lid so I can sip all day long and it is stainless steel and insulated so my Water stays ice cold over 24 hours.

Still struggling with the Protein Shakes I just don't "like" them so going to see if I can find ways to make them better...

My whole day feels like all I'm doing is "eating" or drinking lol but that's ok I want to be successful so I'm following the plan :)

I'm not a huge fan either and I'm really tired of sweet things. I found the Bariatric Fusion chicken Soup Protein mix to be awesome for breaking that up. I just ordered a 2 lb. tub to get me through the next couple of weeks.

On 08/19/2018 at 19:07, kristy2671 said:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum (well I've been registered and lurking since my surgery) and am 9 days Post Op (surgery date 8/10/18).

I am having a very very hard time with getting in my fluids and Protein Shakes. I think I'm having issues with knowing how to "pace" or "sip" I tried having some Soup (butternut squash like pureed) and I felt like I over ate each time, same with chicken broth I think I might sip on it too fast? I try to sip Water throughout the day and I get nervous that I'm going to go too fast or take too much or do something wrong to my baby stomach. :( I have already been to the dr once for IV fluids and a B 12 shot and I don't want to have to do that again but it's so hard for me (I practiced before surgery and everything!) I feel good otherwise but the not eating or drinking enough leaves me tired walking up stairs or from the kitchen to the living room. I just now reintroduced myself back to taking my Iron pills, and heartburn pills. I keep forgetting to take the Multivitamin and Calcium because I'm always trying to sip Water and get my Protein shakes/'foods" in so my dr gave me permission to order the Patches.

I want to do things right and not mess up but this part is harder than I thought! If anyone has any tips/tricks they can offer I would be most grateful! I have an app that tells me to drink every 15 minutes but I still can't get 64 oz in. :(

Kristy

Hi Kristy. I had a hard time with the Protein Shakes, too, so I added Protein Powder to broths.

Kristy2671 I use Decaf coffee and pour one container of Carmel Premier Protein shake in it. Omg sooooo good.

I really like the Diet Snapple Peach Tea sticks--they've been a favorite of mine since before surgery. If I could just drink those, I don't think I'd have a problem getting 64 ounces in. But they have caffeine. How much of a problem is that? I am 3 weeks post-surgery.

Tiny sips ( and I mean TINY ) was key for me early on. Also the amount I consumed at one time sometimes bothered me if it was too much. Protein2O was great and still is now. I never used premixed Protein Shakes, couldn't get past the sweetness or the aftertaste. I use powders and make my own shakes. I can add things like bananas, spinach or just plain ice and I can regulate how thick or thin I want it by adding more or less Water. I use a blender or a bullet to grind whatever I've added and because some of the powders do not dissolve easily.