Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have full knee replacements prior to bariatric surgery? Any problems later?

I'm starting to suspect that the cramping I've been experiencing (in my left calf) for the last few weeks might be related to my knees. A blood clot was ruled out. The pain radiates up and down my entire left leg at times. It feels numb and tingly sometimes, too. I had both knees replaced when I was at my heaviest (303lbs). Now that I've lost a little under 50lbs, I'm wondering if my "new" knee isn't the source of that pain. Has anyone one else had knee replacements and then experienced pain in one or both legs after losing weight?

Anyway, I'm planning to see my orthopedic surgeon and find out his take on this theory. The frustrating thing for me is that my pain meds don't even touch this pain. With the amount of morphine I take daily (for a chronically bad ankle), I'd normally not even notice pain elsewhere unless it was off-the-charts. This pain is severe.

I can't speak to this personally (not knees) but I found that gravity and obesity are like the Cheer team b!+¢hes in high school, always working in tandem to keep you unhappy.

Only when one let's up hazing you in calculus can you realize that the other was silently spreading rumors about you to the photog club and that's why you never got prime dark room time.

Anyways, the more weight you lose the more strain you'll realize your joints, spine, etc. was really under as it's no longer being stockholmed by fat.

Sorry for your pain, have you tried cannabis?

Edited by GreenTealael

The hardware and the way my knees were configured has to be of some relevance... yes?

13 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

The hardware and the way my knees were configured has to be of some relevance... yes?

They were made for the heavier you, more space too move/shift with a lighter you? Always possible. I've noticed, and perhaps others can back me up, previous structural issues like spine pain and compression doesn't always go away, some times it gets worse with weight loss. I was told its because I no longer have the cushions that fat provided. Great.

I'm not looking forward to Bony-Butt Syndrome. I don't even want to think about not having enough booty to cushion my body. The idea of my tailbone being compressed while seated is not what I signed up for!

I do have 2 replacement knees, don't think,of them as artificial, they're mine now. How will,they work when I weigh less? IDK , I can hope well, can't I? We shall see, stay tuned folks, this might be interesting.

Sitting for extended periods hurts for me now and I'm like whats wrong with these new chairs?!?!?
Nothing. It's me.

Regarding the replaced knees, they match your bone size not your fat amount when they pick the device - so that is not the problem.

Now having ruled that out, YES - I am having issues with my TKR I had 9 years ago. Xray did not reveal that it is loose, bursa inflammed and two shots in a month has not really settled it down. Shin splint pain, leg cramps, some sharp pains when changing from sitting to standing, extreme direction change w sharp pain. I only have theories - muscle loss not keeping it stable, scar tissue rubbing on nerves since the fat is not there for cushioning, vitamin/mineral deficiency, strained muscle inflammation?

My next appt w ortho is Sept 10 - if I can hold out that long, yesterday was a bad day. I am prone to leg cramps and take a magnesium supplement called Triple Calm - it is 3 absorable magnesium salts, works great most of the time for that issue. He said a bone scan would be next, so maybe ask your ortho if any of my theories could be in the running...

35 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Regarding the replaced knees, they match your bone size not your fat amount when they pick the device - so that is not the problem.

Now having ruled that out, YES - I am having issues with my TKR I had 9 years ago. Xray did not reveal that it is loose, bursa inflammed and two shots in a month has not really settled it down. Shin splint pain, leg cramps, some sharp pains when changing from sitting to standing, extreme direction change w sharp pain. I only have theories - muscle loss not keeping it stable, scar tissue rubbing on nerves since the fat is not there for cushioning, vitamin/mineral deficiency, strained muscle inflammation?

My next appt w ortho is Sept 10 - if I can hold out that long, yesterday was a bad day. I am prone to leg cramps and take a magnesium supplement called Triple Calm - it is 3 absorable magnesium salts, works great most of the time for that issue. He said a bone scan would be next, so maybe ask your ortho if any of my theories could be in the running...

This makes tons more sense, do y'all see/measure a very noticeable weight loss in the leg/knee area?

I do Green Tealael. My question is whether it's from weight being lost or the fact,i'm taking my Lasix as PCP ordered. I do so hate men telling me what to do even if they have D.O or M.D. after their name.

@Sosewsue61 Let's keep each other in the loop. Our symptom overlap is striking. I'm most intrigued by your scar-tissue supposition. I'm thinking that my reason is probably mechanical rather than a deficiency. As far as I know, keloids and hypertrophic scars don't occur under the skin. I know when I had an umbilical hernia repair, though, the scar tissue that formed under my bellybutton has been uncomfortable at times.

Turns out that it wasn't my knees at all. I have a hereditary condition with my toes (they start turning from forward to the side. I've had the joints in my big toes fused together so they won't turn, but it's not doable with the others. I have an excellent podiatrist treating me and the best she can advise is "good shoes". In the meantime, the upper part of my left foot is numb. It contributes to my feeling off-balance. I've fallen several times. The worst time recently was while holding a very sharp snipping tool. I often know that I'm going down, so I try to prepare. With the tool, I made an effort to throw it clear of myself. The last thing I wanted was someone finding me bleeding out with a razor-sharp blade protruding from my neck. I don't necessarily have to trip on anything. I can just go down because my foot starts to develop that "sleepy-numb" feeling and I can't place it anymore. I've had to resort to a walker at times. A cane doesn't do enough. In the meantime, I'm losing weight. Less padding. And here I thought I'd fall less after losing weight. Bad luck, back timing, and unfortunate genes, I guess. Does anyone else have a problem with balance or falling?

Yep, last Monday I was leaving my Municipal Court building, went to turn corner back out to sidewalk, question is: Did I trip, slip, misstep or start to black-out? I feel the last, my son is feeling the first. Anyhow, down I went, torn the skin off my right forearm, not simple concrete rash, now that I am losing my" sub-q" fat layer skin has started tearing. Have are under left eye, thought it itched, went to rub it, yeah I know, fingers out and away from eyes, but,I'm human! Ripped the little rascal open, maybe had blister prior? Had small tear on upper left gorearm, what happened there? IDK but it took 5 full weeks to heal. Inventory of last oopsey? Skin tear right forearm, right knee- replaced 2014, very bruised but still in place, base of last 2 fingers and up hand to right wrist, visibly bruised, 2 bruises on left abdomen, hit curb? Maybe but too fresh to be caused by surgery.
And right before surgery, like a couple days prior, was at place paying on a account, they had their outside bench removed, so asked for a chair to wait for street bus. My days of standing, leaning on my cane, and smiling. Not too often. Brought me a chair, one of the rolly office types, height I should have,no problem with. Okay, went to climb up, left leg numbed out on me, chair went backwards and I was on my face on the floor. Nobody that has my problem can understand this, but when getting up which knee does one sacrifice? Both surgeons told me DO NOT KNEEL on this knee I have repaired, it is one of the most expensive items You now own. So how to get back to my feet? I crawled to a low shelf, between my own efforts, and that of my son and another male there, somehow I regained an upright position. Note to self : Never get out face-down on floor so you can't get,up!
And after this last skirmish, while,bandaged my forearm, Dr Dubious, my semi-beloved PCP, says Are we planning any more falls? Dunh, I certainly wasn't planning this one! 😪😒😪