Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any sleevers in their late 50's

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Congrats on getting out of the 3s AND totally off insulin!!! You're doing great!

Your former PCP sounds like an @ss. Glad you dumped him!

Thank you very much. You know I was doing the Happy Dance!! First time in the 2’s since 2012.

WellsK1959. I have been s couch potato more than I care to admit but I have had some awesome exercise experiences too. I spent every summer in the swimming pool. Everyday from opening to closing I was there. Then I grew up and life interfered with swimming. Then in my 30’s I became an empty nester. One day I got up and got on my daughter’s bike. I rode 2 blocks and walked home. The next day I rode 3 blocks. That was March. In November I did a charity ride of 25 miles in a little over 2 hours. I finished with the guys who shave their legs. They shave to improve their time. It reduces drag. Champion swimmers do it too.

My point is until you try something you won’t know if you like it or will be good at it. Exercise is better with a buddy. When I was riding I was always alone. That made it easy for me to give it up when I started having muscle cramps. A buddy would have kicked by backside.

Thank you everyone for your support and kind words!! I just hate that with whst my doctor said, even though i did my very best, it felt like hes saying "your still not good enough". Brings back memories of my dad telling me as an overweight child that I would be over 200 lbs before I turned 16, he was disgusted and told me Your so fat. No one will want you. You will never get married. And because of that and of course tons of other reasons ..I kept eating..and when I became 16 I hooked up with anyone that would have me. At 18 , I roped my abusive boyfriend into marrying me so that I had someone. My whole life settling because I felt I didn't deserve the love of a good person. Who would want me at over 200 lbs. And then each year gaining a few more pounds.

Till some stranger at the dog park came right up to me and said "YOU need weight loss surgsry . your going to die". That was a slap in my face. The nerve of people. I'm that disgusting that a stranger thinks they have the right to walk right up state what they are thinking. You can figure out the rest.

Here I am. 4 months post op. I haven't failed. I no longer need blood pressure medication and I have a lot of non scale victories. And actually I'm fine with my weight loss progress.
I'm going to stay positive and keep on the path I'm on. Sorry for the rant..I appreciate this site and all of you!!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Start walking every day . Start with 5 minutes and build from there . I treat exercise like brushing ur teeth or taking a shower . It’s just something u do every day

I started walking at the park in July. Built myself up adding more days per week and distance. Its Vegas and its HOT! I walked at 630 am and still sweat like a fiend. I stopped walking a few weeks ago as it was over 100 decrees early morning and after one extremely hot day I got dehydrated. I've been exhausted since and trying to get my strength back its been all I could do to go to work everyday and do daily chores. I know..there's always an excuse. But yes, I plan to start back up.

Start walking every day . Start with 5 minutes and build from there . I treat exercise like brushing ur teeth or taking a shower . It’s just something u do every day

Go to a gym and walk or bike in the a/c, much easier !

Had sleeve surgery on May 2, 2018. The first weeks were a bit rough tummy wise, but no pain and resumed walking 10,000 steps a day in a few weeks.

Best decision I’ve ever made. My current weight is 183, and I feel better than I’ve felt in years.

Was sleeved on 8/23 at age 61. Lifelong struggle with weight and “comorbities” piling up. A week out, I’m feeling great, regaining strength, and down 13 pounds since surg! New life has begun!

I’m 59 and was sleeved on 7/17/18. I lost 37 before and 29 after. It’s coming off slow and steady. I had a lot of problems with nausea-it was my chewable vitamins. I got permission to switch to tablets and I take less but still have to have a few spoonfuls of yogurt on either side or I still get nauseated. That and I’m still working on 2 oz of puréed/soft Protein which is our Stage 4 out of five stages.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:14 PM, Vegasurvivor said:

I started walking at the park in July. Built myself up adding more days per week and distance. Its Vegas and its HOT! I walked at 630 am and still sweat like a fiend. I stopped walking a few weeks ago as it was over 100 decrees early morning and after one extremely hot day I got dehydrated. I've been exhausted since and trying to get my strength back its been all I could do to go to work everyday and do daily chores. I know..there's always an excuse. But yes, I plan to start back up.

Florida here so I get it. If you can't afford a gym membership, at least go walk in a mall where there's AC. It doesn't help anything if you get dehydrated and pass out. Good luck!

I'm not late 50s but will turn 55 in November which was the impetus for me to do this. My dad died of a heart attack at age 55 and I was sending myself right down that road. My first month sucked, because I hate sweets and there are no Protein Shakes that taste like popcorn, LOL, but I feel AMAZING. Total loss of 55 lbs as of this morning and I am so healthy and happy and moving and feel better in every way possible. My only regret is that I didn't do this 10 years ago!