Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Port has flipped - Revision surgery!?

Hello,

I went in for my 2nd fill today at the aftercare center and they couldn't find the access for the port. Then they put me under xray and said the port was tilted...tried to access it then did another xray and said that the port has completed flipped over.

They said I would need to contact my surgeon and have to have surgery to flip the port back over and re-stitch it. My surgeon cannot see me until another week from today.

I am really freaked out about this. Can anyone give me any insight to this? Do I have to go back in the hospital and be put back under anesthesia?? How the heck did this happen??

It is really frustrating and all I want to do now is eat bc that is always what made me feel better before. UGH!!!!:help:

First of all I am so sorry this has happened, that sucks! I see you have used the same Dr I did, I would put a call into his nurse and have her answer some of your questions before your appointment next week. This may help you be more relaxed.

I do not have any experience with a flipped port so I cant give you any advice there. Stay the course, dont eat because you are upset, you can do this! I have seen messages here about it being corrected under a local.

Good luck, let us know what happens. Did you go to the Hurst location for your fill?

To make my day even better. I tried to eat lunch... a lean cuisine and I only got about 5 bites in and I had my first PB! Lovely. So, now I can't eat, even if I want to.

Ragdoll, I went to the Richardson location. Thx for the advice. I will call the nurse.

Wow! I am really sorry to hear that! Did the doc give any explanation as to why it may have happened? I'll just die if anything like that happens to me because I'm self pay and my surgery was done in Mexico! Eeeegadssss!!!!

:faint:

When it's all fixed, you will feel better and forget the anxiety of right now.

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I met with my surgeon this morning and he is as devastated as I am. He said that this is the 5th time this has happened to him and he has done well over 500 surgeries.

He also said that he started using dissovable sutures for stitching the port and since he started that, I am the 2nd person who has had a flipped port. So, he is switching back to regular sutures.

He told me that I ruined his week. I was like "YOUR WEEK!!" He was kidding, but pretty upset with the situation. My revision surgery is scheduled for the 28th!

Do you mind me asking, do you know why this happened? Was it something you did or didn't do, or was it just a flukey thing that happens?

Linda

Linda,

It wasn't anything that I did. Even my surgeon said it wasn't my fault. It is just one of those things... it's a potential complication. It is one of the top 3 complications with the band (along with slippage and band erosion).

I am one of the "lucky" ones.

Sorry to hear your port is flipped and happy to hear he will fix it. You'll be back on track in no time!

Do you have to go under again for the surgery or will it be done with a local?

JLB, I have to go to the hospital and go under again. However, he said I won't have the breathing tube. Instead, it will be a mask like they use when they do dental surgery. That is good news bc the coughs and phlegm after the original surgery hurt so bad!

Hi TulipStar, I know your original post was back in 2007, and all this is probably all behind you now...but just wondering how it turned out? I had my surgery in Richardson with Dr. Marsden less than two months ago, and have had only 1 fill that was "regular". The next two fills were with X-ray help and a whole lotta tugging and pulling and bent needles. I'm meeting with the surgeon next week to discuss surgery. How did it go for you? Was the surgery as bad as the first? Did you have to pay again? Have you been ok since then? I am so worried!