Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving Holiday - Celebrating or Ignoring?

I finally decided that there is no reason for me to "celebrate" Thanksgiving anymore. It is an eating frenzy, and I come from a large family of girls and everybody is a great cook. So last year DH and I stayed home and enjoyed a quiet day, and that is our new tradition.

What do you do for Thanksgiving?

We will drive to North Carolina to see DH's dad and family. We only see everyone in his family at his dad's birthday in April, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, so no way to really put an end to that tradition. I will just have to practice self control.

We will drive to North Carolina to see DH's dad and family. We only see everyone in his family at his dad's birthday in April, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, so no way to really put an end to that tradition. I will just have to practice self control.

The beauty of the band is that it is an aid in self control. I can ignore the main courses, but the homemade fudge and pies....another story altogether.

Funny thing is.. I never have a problem at holidays-they are the only time I have self control-its the rest of the year that I have a problem with.. plus, on holidays you can eat a little several times throughout the day-this helps in portion control-instead of eating one or maybe two HUGE meals, where you are unbuttoning your top button of your pants-the band will help us keep control

The beauty of the band is that it is an aid in self control. I can ignore the main courses, but the homemade fudge and pies....another story altogether.
I took on the responsibility of cooking Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. Honestly, it's not that bad for me. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so I'm usually more attracted to the main dishes, like the turkey, brocolli casserole, corn pudding, mashed potatos, etc. I think I'll be happy with just a few bites of each, though, just as long as I can still have some.

But then again, I never really gained weight over the holidays, either. I'm not fond of reheated leftovers, for the most part, so I'd usually only have the one large dinner. Most of the time, if I ate leftovers, it would just be a slice or two of cold turkey. I learned the hard way about over eating the sweet stuff when I was 10 or 11 and ate Thanksgiving dinner and then half a pumpkin pie. I didn't over-eat after that.

We dont do it in Australia anyway, so I dont have to worry about it.

But I still Celebrate Christmas and Easter - I just dont stuff my face doing it. food is part of our culture, I think its sad if you feel you have to turn your back on it. Just enjoy in moderation!

I took on the responsibility of cooking Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago.

The last time I took on the responsibility of cooking Thanksgiving dinner was 5 years ago for my in-laws. The dinner was well planned. The turkey was in the oven. Boiled some eggs. When the timer went off for the eggs, I by habit turned off the oven. Noticed it a few hours later...... Use your imagination from that point.

The last time I took on the responsibility of cooking Thanksgiving dinner was 5 years ago for my in-laws. The dinner was well planned. The turkey was in the oven. Boiled some eggs. When the timer went off for the eggs, I by habit turned off the oven. Noticed it a few hours later...... Use your imagination from that point.

Ouch. And with your in-laws there, eek! :faint:

To me, the turkey's the easiest part, honestly. :) I just stick it in one of those turkey-sized oven bags and cook it according to the chart. Always comes out nice and moist.

Ouch. And with your in-laws there, eek! :faint:

To me, the turkey's the easiest part, honestly. :) I just stick it in one of those turkey-sized oven bags and cook it according to the chart. Always comes out nice and moist.

Yeah, but do you keep the oven turned on?

Lots of cooking and family eating. Instead of the oversized plate overflowing with about 10lbs of food.. I'll just have a little bit of everything.

We're also going to a hockey game with all the family (about 20 of us) the night of Thanksgiving. Woohoo.

I plan on watching everybody else eat until they can't move. I may treat myself to a small ice cream since it is the few times a year the whole family is there.

This will be my first Thanksgiving with the band. We have so many places to go: My mother's side of the family, my father's side of the family, my husbands family... I usually graze all day because we're on the move all day. Hopefully this year I will have some self-control.

I am looking forward to my leftovers lasting for more than 2 days. I know it sounds weird but I love cold leftovers almost as much as the hot meal.

For my family Thanksgiving isn't so much about the food - sure we all love it!!! - but we come together because we love each other and we visit and play games for 4 days. I KNOW I can't eat like I used to - and I'm THANKFUL for that this year... but I would never just not go...