Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

day 9 and I could eat a tree

I mean Jesus.

I had my surgery 9 days ago. Complete success. Surgeon literally described my insides as "beautiful."

I can drink in measures way bigger than sips. On day three of being home, my partner ordered chili fish, dan dan noodles, spicy peanuts and cumin fries from a GREAT chinese place in our neighborhood. I ate a bunch of it AND WAS FINE.

I accepted that I need to eat according to plan and I'm back on shakes, Bone Broth and cottage cheese... but I'm even limiting THAT because I want to lose weight. Cravings-wise, I could READILY eat a burger or some pizza or nachos or a sub or turkish food or more chinese or lox and bagel or french fries or JESUS EVERYTHING.

A couple things: I had the RNY because of my diabetes. Runs fatal among skinny people in my family on both sides and I had stopped responding to medication. The procedure FULLY worked and my blood glucose is in the normal range and I'm 100% medication free.

Still, I'd love to see some weight loss and enjoy being lean and lovely... but my cravings are THROUGH THE ROOF. Even with just cottage cheese, I could eat my bodyweight in cottage cheese. I'm back to abiding the diet and everything but it's just as hard as dieting ever was and I feel like I'm going to snap as soon as my partner leaves for work tomorrow.

Help?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Also, if I don't have a glass of wine soon, I'm going to put my head through a window, so there's that.

Hope Napa Valley stages an intervention for You Soon! 🍷Bartles and James, paging, Bartles and James!

Im 6 days post op and feel the exact same way! Its gotten worse the past 3 days... When I'm craving something I will make it in the kitchen like deviled eggs or Ham and cheese sandwich whatever im craving and I will chew it but spit it out it seems to make me feel better just to have the taste in my mouth.. But I don't know how long I can do that, I'm so hungry and all I've been having is Jello pudding and cream of wheat ... smh...we are on the same page .....when do u start ur mushy foods stage?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't know what to say. I have no appetite, not even for foods I once enjoyed.

Why will your partner's departure tomorrow affect you so much? Are you afraid of losing control without him around? Which reminds me... if he's your support system, why did he order all of that Chinese food and eat it in front of you?

Some harsher straight talk now, sir: Weren't you the least bit concerned about damaging your newly-jiggered works, specifically, your anastomosis? It could've ruptured!:o

The anastomosis is the suture line where the stomach and the small intestine are stitched together. My surgeon told me that this is the last area to heal, and it certainly would not have been close to being healed when you ate all that Chinese food on day three.

When the suture line ruptures or tears (this is called a "dehiscence of the anastomosis), your abdominal contents empties out into your peritoneal cavity. This is serious, SERIOUS stuff. After that, you risk dying within 24-48 hours. (Insert "dramatic chipmunk" music here). Your suture line was not firmly melded together and all that solid food could have done you in.

I'm glad to hear that your dare-deviling ways are over and that you are back to cottage-cheesing it.:) I don't know if it's a macho thing to sound almost proud of doing what you did, but I'm glad that you didn't hurt yourself.

You're lucky to be able to get in all of your fluids. I stink at getting enough Protein, calories (less than 250), and Fluid.

Are you exercising?

to illcusoon: Protein Shakes and broth with the occasional break down cottage cheese is doing me alright. it's more like, when I called my nutritionist to be like wtf is wrong with me, I want to lose weight, she told me to go from 3 Protein Drinks a day to two. like, it's all sounding a tad pro-ana.

to missouri-lee: I GET IT. but really? I noticed that something was off in the hospital. I had THREE cups of broth my first night- I mean hours after being stitched up! 5 cups of ice chips. nothing even resembling discomfort. by the time the chinese food arrived (and my partner is more than welcome to eat what he wants) I was more experimental than anything else. it was like... what CAN'T I do?? I'd heard all these stories of baby sips and nausea and here I am, 9 days later, ready for spicy chicken and waffles. My new gut, like my old, is made of steel. I'm just following the rules to follow them. my physical intuition is crying out for many melted cheeses.

I'm in this camp, too. 19 days out and OK for the mushy Soups, cottage cheese, applesauce, etc - which is wonderful. But I can't achieve satiety or sense of fullness and satisfaction. Maybe I need to get over that hope/expectation? The cravings have never stopped. I thought the key to staying ahead of cravings would be high Protein intake, but so far that isn't the case for me. I've analyzed real hunger vs head hunger but haven't found much difference.

Head hunger is no joke. It will mess with you at every turn until you choose to manage it. Your body is use to receiving a certain number of calories because we trained it to. So it’s going to take a while to train it differently. Your stomach is still healing so taking in more than recommended for you could undo what you just did. Meaning the opening where your stomach is attached to your intestines could heal larger than it should. It is hard, I’m 12 months out and stopping loosing weight at month 4. I thought my acid reflux was gone forever but I discovered it’s there after I had my first regular cup of coffee. Some of us are going to have to really work hard at this.

I don't know what to say. I have no appetite, not even for foods I once enjoyed.
Why will your partner's departure tomorrow affect you so much? Are you afraid of losing control without him around? Which reminds me... if he's your support system, why did he order all of that Chinese food and eat it in front of you?
Some harsher straight talk now, sir: Weren't you the least bit concerned about damaging your newly-jiggered works, specifically, your anastomosis? It could've ruptured![emoji33]
The anastomosis is the suture line where the stomach and the small intestine are stitched together. My surgeon told me that this is the last area to heal, and it certainly would not have been close to being healed when you ate all that Chinese food on day three.
When the suture line ruptures or tears (this is called a "dehiscence of the anastomosis), your abdominal contents empties out into your peritoneal cavity. This is serious, SERIOUS stuff. After that, you risk dying within 24-48 hours. (Insert "dramatic chipmunk" music here). Your suture line was not firmly melded together and all that solid food could have done you in.
I'm glad to hear that your dare-deviling ways are over and that you are back to cottage-cheesing it.[emoji4] I don't know if it's a macho thing to sound almost proud of doing what you did, but I'm glad that you didn't hurt yourself.
You're lucky to be able to get in all of your fluids. I stink at getting enough Protein, calories (less than 250), and Fluid.< br> Are you exercising?
I pray in the name of sweet baby Jesus I don't have an appetite after surgery!!! Especially for the foods I enjoy before[emoji1488][emoji1488]

Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, tihaitien said:

Head hunger is no joke. It will mess with you at every turn until you choose to manage it.

So help me - how do you manage it, and how do you tell the difference?

8 to 5 your taste buds will change , you won't crave those things, since,they won't taste the same it,will take only 1 time and you'll,go Yuck,what. did I ever Like about Those Things? And you
might crave different, more healthy things, as an example although I am still pre-surgery when I ditched cakes and their sticky,little family members I developed a craving,for,veggies. Too early after my Breakfast, Protein shake but I'd really like some fresh cooked green or yellow wax Beans about right,now. Failing that , some well- c9oked Brussels sprouts , I could pop them like I used to pop potato chips.🍛

@ nevertoolate, please don't eat a tree. It is the WRONG kind of Fiber, not good for you,unless you are a beaver. Come to think of it, I don't even think they eat them, they are rodents. Rodents have to knaw things constantly or their teeth overgrown. Maloclussion for them could be fatal.

8 to 5 your taste buds will change , you won't crave those things, since,they won't taste the same it,will take only 1 time and you'll,go Yuck,what. did I ever Like about Those Things? And you
might crave different, more healthy things, as an example although I am still pre-surgery when I ditched cakes and their sticky,little family members I developed a craving,for,veggies. Too early after my Breakfast,protein shake but I'd really like some fresh cooked green or yellow wax Beans about right,now. Failing that , some well- c9oked Brussels sprouts , I could pop them like I used to pop potato chips.[emoji493]
Haha, my tastebuds changed for a whopping 48 hours. Then everything became delicious again. Not even kidding, maybe even more delicious than before.

You ate that food 9 days out? Wtf? You could damage yourself