Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those having a bypass revision weighing in at 155?

My bypass revision is Thursday the 9th. Severe reflux is whats making me do the revision, otherwise I would never do it. I started with the band in 2009 (it slipped in 2013 and I revised to a sleeve). Reflux is starting to do damage to my esophagus so before damage is done, I opted for a bypass. I weigh 155 and my goal is 135. For those of u who did bypass weighing around the same, did u find it difficult to lose that last little bit of weight (goal is 135 ) or easy peasy, with the post op diet? I'm going on a cruise in Oct (9 weeks later and Ill be eating reg food - and I've been on 8 cruises and know I can eat healthy, so please no remarks about my eating on a cruise) and would LUV to be at goal but I'm not sure how hard it will be to lose the last little bit of weight?

I'm also scared of not being able to stop losing. My dr told me that our bodies are smart and when it was at a healthy weight, I would automatically stop losing. That's a great premise, however I've read more than a few people who become anorexic having a bypass with such a small amount to lose. WHile I always dreamed of losing too much weight, now that it's a possible reality, I'm getting scared

Anyone within 20-40 lbs from their goals having a bypass? I;d luv to hear ur experience...

Granted it's only been 6 weeks since my revision to bypass (because of reflux) but I've only lost about 5 lbs and I was 10 lbs from goal at the time of surgery. My doctor said the same thing as yours. Actually what he said was "you're not going to dwindle down to nothing." Weight loss is slower with revisions especially if you don't have much to lose.

If you haven't had any issues regarding eating disorders, I wouldn't worry about it. Yes there are people who develop this problems after surgery but you are near your target weight.

The only person I have heard of whom had a revision to bypass due to GERD at a lower weight than yourself was an instagramer by the name of crystaljones_wls

she was already tiny when she revised and lost more. But her body is maintaining at a good weight and she was successful

I’m 215 revising from band to bypass so only about 50 or do and I’m good and my revision is on the 9th because of GERD too and slip

Unrelated question, so pardon the intrusion, but if you convert to bypass due to reflux, does insurance cover it or do they fight it?

Well I know my former insurance United Health Care had or still has. a 1 Bariatric Procedure in a lifetime clause. I remember being grateful for Obamacate, when insurances companies were,forced to offer maternity and childbirth coversge, somehow Bariatrics got," grandfathered" in
. Before that point Bariatrics was an elective "vaniety" procedure. And I am one to the least vain persons you would ever meet. Except,for a little lipstick, I seldom wear make up, bebop in t-shirts and levis in the summer, sweats in the winter, baby doll pyjamas or gowns in the house, sleep in oversized t-shirts(legacy of the Late Lamented) in transition seasons with cotton bike shorts, and comb my hair by touch instead of looking in a mirror. So Vain? I don't think So.
I want surgery to insure I continue living, to lessen arthritis stranglehold on my body, to move freer but most of all as a for,4to my,body for putting up with me and my foibles for 72 years. THESE 5-7 CUTS ARE FOR YOU, BABY!🙋

And Because after all these📝 years I have learned to ❤ myself! after all Body and I have,gone through, I give you the 🎁Gift of Surgery. This is the sweetest thing I ever have done for ME!👄

11 hours ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

Unrelated question, so pardon the intrusion, but if you convert to bypass due to reflux, does insurance cover it or do they fight it?

It really depends on what the insurance companies cover. Like Frust8 stated, some insurance companies have a 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime coverage. If the insurance company gives the patient/doctor a problem about coverage, more documentation and/or test work is needed. But your surgeon will let you know. I feel as if revisions are becoming more common and less people are having to fight for them

My insurance had no problem at all BCBS PPO. My only requirement was to show the weight loss wasn't working, a 3 month medically supervised weight loss program, and then a meager fee. So meager, I won't post it. I absolutely love BCBS, I will never switch.

I also had a band once upon a time and wanted to revise to the sleeve, but because of my reflux, my surgeon wouldn't do anything but the bypass. He told me the sleeve would make my reflux worse and so I am glad I went with the bypass, but I am 4 years out and have yet, to reach my goal weight. Now, granted, I don't do everything 100% all the time. But I feel healthier than I did before in most respects. The malabsorption is probably what has changed my body the most because I have a hard time taking all the supplements and feel I don't have the muscle and bone mass that I once had. I would like to lose about 20 more pounds, but if not, I am OK with where I am. This may just be my HEALTHY weight since I have been stuck here for awhile now.

I hope you reach your goals with the revision and also have fun on your cruise. I love cruising and never have trouble finding good foods to eat.

GERD is a serious issue so doing what you can to address it is the right decision. Taking PPIs may mask symptoms of reflux BUT acid/bile will still be damaging the cells in your esophagus, which puts you at risk for Barrett’s Esophagus and/or esophageal cancer. I think you should trust your doctor that your body won’t end up malnourished. Even if you get to a low normal or underweight BMI initially, the chance of it lasting long term is low.

I speak from experience. I’m “model thin” right now as I’ve been struggling with GERD (for 10+ years), a hiatal hernia and a diagnosis of Barrett’s Esophagus 4 months ago, even post-MGB. But I’ve recently had hernia repair surgery with Nissen Fundoplication so am very optimistic of my long term outcome, as are my physicians. I will not be eating crap or large quantities of food to gain weight as that could lead to poor eating habits and gaining too much weight.

I take all of my required Vitamins and minerals and everyone should do the same post-gastric bypass; otherwise, you could cause an untold number of health issues.