Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beyond frustrated!!!! Just venting

So I finished everything that was needed to be done for surgery on 6/22/18. The insurance coordinator was out of town until 6/28. It was no big deal. So i sent her two emails, one to let her know she can submit for insurance and a second one to follow up that she received my first email. Never got a response. 7/9/18 I call my insurance to check on the status they tell me they never received any paperwork. I call the doctors office and she tells me she’s been busy she’ll submit that day. Great! I call my insurance on 7/19 check on the status and still being told no paperwork received. Finally last Thursday I call my insurance again and it was received on 7/20 and approved. Mind you the coordinator stated she sent it 7/9. I have still haven’t been scheduled for surgery. Called Thursday, one lady calls my insurance to confirm I was approved and says someone will be in touch with me to schedule everything. Here we are a week later and still nothing. I emailed yesterday and was told I would get a call today to schedule. Still nothing. At this point I’m beyond frustrated, second guessing everything. Wondering if this is a sign I should not be having surgery. Stress eating, more than likely putting weight back on. I thought the scheduling part would be easy once approved.

Ok. I would be annoyed as well. Every office has an office manager and a manager above that, etc. Research your clinic/parent company and complain higher up the ladder, or show up tomorrow at the clinic with these dates of 'no response' written up in the form of a complaint. Be polite but be FIRM. Ask specific questions: what days does the surgeon do surgery? How many surgeries/day or week are done? How many are currently scheduled? What is the next available date? Tell them - I have a life too, work too, I need to know the date so I can be responsible in notifying those affected by my abscenses and YOU are being irresponsible in your duties by not

1) returning my calls in a timely manner, as promised.

2) not sending paperwork as promised on two separate occasions

3) not having this office follow up with all the above regarding scheduling

Do I have to have a conversation with your immediate supervisor or your immediate supervisor's boss? Or write a letter or email?

Speaking of email, I use it frequently instead of phone calls because then there is a definite paper trail and not 'he said, she said'

On 08/02/2018 at 15:39, Sosewsue61 said:

Ok. I would be annoyed as well. Every office has an office manager and a manager above that, etc. Research your clinic/parent company and complain higher up the ladder, or show up tomorrow at the clinic with these dates of 'no response' written up in the form of a complaint. Be polite but be FIRM. Ask specific questions: what days does the surgeon do surgery? How many surgeries/day or week are done? How many are currently scheduled? What is the next available date? Tell them - I have a life too, work too, I need to know the date so I can be responsible in notifying those affected by my abscenses and YOU are being irresponsible in your duties by not

1) returning my calls in a timely manner, as promised.

2) not sending paperwork as promised on two separate occasions

3) not having this office follow up with all the above regarding scheduling

Do I have to have a conversation with your immediate supervisor or your immediate supervisor's boss? Or write a letter or email?

Speaking of email, I use it frequently instead of phone calls because then there is a definite paper trail and not 'he said, she said'

Thank you that actually gave me some courage. So I called again and pretty much felt rushed off the phone. She said today is her busiest day where she talks to all the patients and trying to make everyone happy. But she will call me back by 5pm. I was trying not to make a fuss about it because I don’t want to piss anyone before my surgery. And I didn’t want to seem like I am bugging her. But I do plan on giving one hell of a comment/review on my experience specifically dealing with her. The dr is amazing so I don’t want to discredit him. But either they need more than one person handling insurance and scheduling or they need someone who can handle the workload. I don’t normally bitch or try to get people in trouble but this is not professional. When i initially started the process on 3/6/18 I was told my surgery would be in July if I did everything I needed to do and insurance approved me. I had several planned trips and now I more than likely won’t be able to go. This is frustrating and stressful.

Congrats on getting your date. Sucks you had to deal with this BS though. I have a very long fuse but this would have put me over the top. I would have for sure complained to her first then to her higher up even if it's the surgeon. Like you said if she can't handle the workload they need to get someone else to help. Or just get someone more competent. Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes smooth from here out.

On 08/02/2018 at 17:30, J San said:

Congrats on getting your date. Sucks you had to deal with this BS though. I have a very long fuse but this would have put me over the top. I would have for sure complained to her first then to her higher up even if it's the surgeon. Like you said if she can't handle the workload they need to get someone else to help. Or just get someone more competent. Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes smooth from here out.

Yeah my mom kept telling me to ask for her manager but I don’t want to get into it with anyone before my surgery lol I’ll save all my frustration until afterwards lol. Will have a pre typed letter for when I’m discharged

I can understand your reluctance to avoid making waves, but standing up for yourself is something you need to keep practicing.

Apparently, this woman is too busy to do her job. Your surgery date is as important as anything else on her to-do list.

You seem young. After enduring this treatment several more times (and I promise you this type of thing happens to us all), you'll realize that the courage to speak up for yourself is already inside of you... you just need to use practice using that courage.

Maybe your efforts in being a self-advocate will seem clumsy at first, maybe your nerves will get the best of you and your words will fail you, but remember: YOU ARE A PERSON WHO MATTERS AND YOU SHOULD EXPECT TO BE TREATED AS A PERSON WHO MATTERS. Don't let anyone treat you differently.

Speaking up for yourself doesn't mean that you need to get into a shouting match with others. Keep calm, keep your voice even but firm... and be polite. Sometimes phone conversations are taped. If that's the case, you want to appear as the person in control of your language and emotions. (A supervisor may want to review that tape.) Keep your emails. Get used to organizing a paper trail until it becomes second nature.

Again, it takes practice. Some people never master self-advocacy. Perhaps your mother hasn't. Next time you're out and about, notice how others handle themselves in stressful situations. Look for hints about what you would do --or not do -- if you were in their shoes.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit