Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bump in the road...

My surgery is on August 6, and I am on the liquid diet. I just got a call from the hospital that they are expecting my entire deductible to be paid upon arrival. I have a separate bariatric deductible of $3k that covers everything above the $3k for surgery.

I had to point out this deductible to them weeks ago, because they were quoting me all sorts of outrageous prices for the surgery. When I pointed it out to them, they said, "OK, so you would pay $3k, but the day of surgery, you could just pay a percentage of that. Like, around $600." So that's what I was planning to do when I went in on Monday. I've budgeted $600, not $3k all at once.

I may not end up getting the surgery after all...

Sorry to hear that, did you tryin tell them the original quote they gave you.

2 hours ago, sariejack said:

My surgery is on August 6, and I am on the liquid diet. I just got a call from the hospital that they are expecting my entire deductible to be paid upon arrival. I have a separate bariatric deductible of $3k that covers everything above the $3k for surgery.

I had to point out this deductible to them weeks ago, because they were quoting me all sorts of outrageous prices for the surgery. When I pointed it out to them, they said, "OK, so you would pay $3k, but the day of surgery, you could just pay a percentage of that. Like, around $600." So that's what I was planning to do when I went in on Monday. I've budgeted $600, not $3k all at once.

I may not end up getting the surgery after all...

Call the hospital, ask for a financial counselor and explain the above and ask if they can draw up some payment schedule and have you sign it. Maybe monthly payments for a year or something like that. They want the $$ from you and your insurance company so they will hopefuly go for it. Good luck!!

My surgeon and hospital accepted care credit as payment, you may look into that. See if they’ll accept it and if so, apply and see if you get approved.

1 hour ago, Chunkysoup said:

My surgeon and hospital accepted care credit as payment, you may look into that. See if they’ll accept it and if so, apply and see if you get approved.

Good luck. Hope it works out.

I was able to get CareCredit but for only 1/2 the amount they require. My husband is calling the billing department of the hospital today to see why they changed things up on me, and to actually get something in writing. Every time I call this hospital, I get a different answer--and I am talking to the same person each time.

7 minutes ago, sariejack said:

I was able to get CareCredit but for only 1/2 the amount they require. My husband is calling the billing department of the hospital today to see why they changed things up on me, and to actually get something in writing. Every time I call this hospital, I get a different answer--and I am talking to the same person each time.

Uggh. Frustrating. Hope it all works out.