Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being on the plane that's going to crash.

I was talking to my husband about the judgement passed on people who have bariatric surgery. He is on the fence about the whole "easy way out" thing. But he is being supportive of me.

So he tells me that when he thinks about the easy way out, he compares it to jumping off a plane. The easy way out would be when someone pries your fingers of the plane and pushes you out. That's the easy way out but the problem is that after that the is no getting back on the plane. So you are screaming all the way down hoping the parachute will open.

My response was, think about it this way you are on a plane that has lost its engines. They tell you they are going to try landing it but chances are it will still be a crash landing and many on the plane will die. Or you can put on one of the parachutes and jump? So what do you choose? The plane is obesity. We know it is a killer. Some live long, normal lives while being obese, but the majority will get sick in various ways and die prematurely. If you jump, which is having the surgery, the parachute might not open but the chances of that are minimal. The parachute might open late and you will get seriously hurt, but you survive and end up living a long life. You might not land well because you don't know how to parachute and break your legs. But you still land and live.

So which one do you choose? Stay on the plane and hope you survive the crash? Or jump and take the risks of jumping with the more likelihood of survival? It is a personal decision that only you can make for yourself.

I choose to jump off the DAMN plane!!!! Because I am already on the plane and the only decisions you can make are jump or crash. The option to never get on the plane to begin with is long gone.

:515_airplane_arriving::D

I guess this is one way of looking at it, but in all honesty the analogy isn't all that comparative to me.

The chances of success for this surgery are better odds than the plane crash scenario. First of all there are skilled surgeons that have performed thousands of times under near similar circumstances, pilots DO NOT actually practice crash landing in real planes. Most people take lessons to learn to parachute from a plane - not in emergency situations. Just saying..

I get why you finished your husband's analogy that way though. He is kinda being a chit....

Tell him he could get to work by walking there or riding a horse. He uses a vehicle - a tool - is that the easy way out? Surgery is a more efficient tool for a broken metabolism. Would he tell someone NOT to have their knee replaced? Or not to have a c-section - aww just push that baby out the right way, don't take the easy way? Is surgery, any surgery the easy way?

The plane crashing is what will happen if you don't have the surgery. All the health issues that come up from being overweight is what happens if you don't have the surgery and stay on the plane. In all likelihood it's going to kill you sooner than later.

Jumping off the plane with a parachute is having the surgery. It seems scary and the surgeon is the one who gives you the shove off the plane with the surgery. But the likelihood of survival longer is greater this way. Some people will say you took the easy way off the plane because someone pushed you out. But you still made the decision to put the parachute on (go with the surgery) and you still worked hard all the way down to make sure you made it.

Both options are scary and there are risks involved in both. One is not "Easier than the other".

I really like that analogy! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it for the next time someone tells me that surgery is "the easy way out".

Great analogy! It really spoke to me. Do you have a surgery date yet??

That is great, I love it!!! I jumped and couln't be happier. Chute opened and I landed pretty damn good.

I used to tell a joke about famous people on crashing plane and a limited number of parachutes. Each person justifies the reason they should survive and grabs a parachute. At the end there is left a Boy Scout and a Priest. Priest says go ahead and grab the last parachute, I've lived a Good Life, this way I will be with My Lord. Boy Scout says. Father it's okay, come with me . There are 2 parachutes left , that last person that wouldn't believe anyone was more important took my backpack by mistake. So if you're going wait to jump off make sure you have a parachute and not somebody else's luggage.