Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maintaining weight to get approved?

So, I was curious as to knowing if there is anyone out there that has purposely maintained to get approved for surgery?

I came across a social media account (elsewhere) and this one girl said she was 5’4 and weighed 245 when she started her journey then said she got to losing weight dropped down to 235 and the nutritionist was up front with her and told her she wasn’t going to get approved if she was under the required BMI. So she said that she maintained weight leading up to her pre-op diet where she dropped well below the BMI for surgery 210lbs (day of surgery)

I have two questions..

1. Would you maintain to just get approved knowing you have to have a certain mindset of eating a certain way?

2. Wouldn’t they cancel surgery if you fell below the BMI for surgery to begin with? Even if you were already approved when you were slightly above it?

I don’t get how she got approved and curious to know if anyone else has ever seen this done..

I think that’s a little insane.. no?

I was told don’t gain any weight but don’t lose either. I just had my final weigh in and managed to stay within two lbs. of my initial weigh in. My surgery is in about 3 weeks .

I can lose weight to a certain point but then it just stops. When I gain it back it brings a few lbs back with it. I need to lose over 100 lbs. Not an easy task when you have other health issues.

I doubt I’m alone in this...

Oh you are not, got a few myself, but we can overcome and succeed, did you see,i got a confirmed date, not until September 5th but I am so looking forward to that day. I'll be first surgery at 7 AM, so there can just be a traffic jam behind me, don't care, I finally got the break I deserved and I'll do it for all I'm worth!

Yes, some insurance companies have strict requirements. No gain during 6 months supervised nutrition appointments. Must be 41 bmi with no comorbidities or 35-40 with comorbidities. Some have required FIVE years of failed documented weight loss records.

So yes, I would have resorted to whatever means needed to qualify. People have lost below the required weight but put rolls of quarters in their pockets or ankle weights under their slacks to qualify.

That’s what happened to me I lost my requirement of weight the first 3 months had to aimtsin the next 4 month and surgeon meet with me and insurance full approval. I have 6 weeks until surgery and gave the go ahead to lose again. So hope to loose 8 pounds now and another 10. On the 2 week liquid diet. I’m glad I had to experience the maintenance for 4 months it was hard and messes with your head. Check out some of the other topics about maintenance.

I could only lose 2 lbs from my starting weight prior to being approved, otherwise I’d be disqualified. Since being approved, I’ve lost 7lbs and my surgery is on Monday (7/23)

I'm near the low end of the Bmi requirement, right now I'm at 41. The minimum Bmi for my insurance is 40 worth no other health problems or 35 with co-morbidities like high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes etc. So I could lose like 30lbs and still qualify because I have high BP. I specifically asked my surgery team about losing weight before being approved. They told me that they go based on my weight at my initial assessment, not my weight when they submit it to insurance for approval. This was a positive thing for me to hear because I've lost 7lbs just by not eating carbs in the past 5 weeks.

I'm sure we have different insurance, I'm in Bcbs in Virginia, but hopefully this helps. Maybe ask your surgery team about this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Edited by Bootscraper

I'm a bit concerned about this myself. I was told at the beginning (in January) that I really needed to lose 10% of my excess body weight during the six-month supervised diet - which was about 10-15 pounds. I ended up losing 40 pounds thus far - which means I started the pre-op diet, that I'm on now, at 40.1 bmi. The pre-op liquid diet will drop me below 40, and there isn't anything I can do about it.

My next surgeon's office appt. is tomorrow, and if they try to weigh me, I'm going to have to have a conversation with them.

Edited by _Shane_

If you have already met with the surgeon your ok. for my insurance it’s based on completion of the 6 month supervised weight loss then BMI at or above 40 when meeting the surgeon then free to loose as much as you can before surgery.

Well, I myself started at 289 in February and lost some weight.. I’m now 257 (as of last Tuesday) which puts me at a BMI of 41.48 or something like that and I still have one more nutritional visit left.

So now I’m like thinking about this person who told me what she told me and now I’m thinking do I have to maintain at this point? I’ve been following the diet(eating habits) to the T and taking my required supplements.. I still have to do a follow up appointment with the surgeon.. then submit to insurance for approval.

I’m nervous now

On 07/18/2018 at 20:24, Sosewsue61 said:

Yes, some insurance companies have strict requirements. No gain during 6 months supervised nutrition appointments. Must be 41 bmi with no comorbidities or 35-40 with comorbidities. Some have required FIVE years of failed documented weight loss records.

So yes, I would have resorted to whatever means needed to qualify. People have lost below the required weight but put rolls of quarters in their pockets or ankle weights under their slacks to qualify.

I’m glad to see this statement because I’m at 41.48 so basically I have to maintain but what I’m worried about is that I’d screw myself up in the end when the time comes and I have to give up (all of a sudden) all of those things that helped me maintain that’s why I thought it was insane that girl did it..

It’s got me thinking if I’m okay without surgery (even though I’ll probably follow through with it) it just seems crazy someone would do it like that

I'm at 40.3 with no comorbidities and you can bet your butt....I was staying there!!

My insurance said I can skip the 6 months of weigh ins because my bmi is above 50. I am on the line because I am at 50.5 bmi. So if I lose the weight and drop below 50, are they going to make me wait the six months

Knowing how insurances rationalize things, it is not,impossible. You see, under 50 they may think you are,now a desperate case, not saying that's right, what does your Bariatric Team say?