Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ER trip to rule out blood clot

I'm one month out from my bypass. Last night, I had intense leg pain in my right calf. Pain has to be off-the-charts for me to even notice.

When you take as much morphine as I do (for an unrelated chronic condition), the pain has to be really bad. This was at least an 8 out of 10.

This afternoon, after suffering all night and all day today, I finally mentioned what was going on. My daughter dropped by for a visit and

she could see right away that I was trying to hide my pain from her. I could have lied, told her it was post-surgery discomfort, but I don't like

being dishonest with my kids.

Anyway, it wasn't my idea to go to the ER. My daughter insisted. I figured it was a muscle pull or a cramp. I didn't seem to have the

the typical symptoms for a clot, so I thought I'd just sweat it out.

The ER took my leg pain complaint seriously. They did an ultrasound, took an X-ray, and did a lot of blood work. Everything was normal.

I was actually more interested in my blood work. After weeks of lousy Protein and Fluid intake, I figured I'd have abnormal readings.

Not so. My Protein was within normal limits, my electrolytes were fine.. so was everything else.

Do I feel silly for going to the ER? Yes and no. Would I have gone if my daughter hadn't stopped by? Probably not. Would I suggest that

someone else with the same leg pain go to the ER to rule out a clot? Probably.

It's amazing how we often won't take symptoms we experience concerning our own body seriously, but when it comes to others, we tend to take things

very seriously...

With blood clots, heart attacks and strokes....always be safe rather than sorry. It's good you went. Glad you're ok.

1 hour ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

I'm one month out from my bypass. Last night, I had intense leg pain in my right calf. Pain has to be off-the-charts for me to even notice.

When you take as much morphine as I do (for an unrelated chronic condition), the pain has to be really bad. This was at least an 8 out of 10.

This afternoon, after suffering all night and all day today, I finally mentioned what was going on. My daughter dropped by for a visit and

she could see right away that I was trying to hide my pain from her. I could have lied, told her it was post-surgery discomfort, but I don't like

being dishonest with my kids.

Anyway, it wasn't my idea to go to the ER. My daughter insisted. I figured it was a muscle pull or a cramp. I didn't seem to have the

the typical symptoms for a clot, so I thought I'd just sweat it out.

The ER took my leg pain complaint seriously. They did an ultrasound, took an X-ray, and did a lot of blood work. Everything was normal.

I was actually more interested in my blood work. After weeks of lousy Protein and Fluid intake, I figured I'd have abnormal readings.

Not so. My Protein was within normal limits, my electrolytes were fine.. so was everything else.

Do I feel silly for going to the ER? Yes and no. Would I have gone if my daughter hadn't stopped by? Probably not. Would I suggest that

someone else with the same leg pain go to the ER to rule out a clot? Probably.

It's amazing how we often won't take symptoms we experience concerning our own body seriously, but when it comes to others, we tend to take things

very seriously...

I’m so glad you’re ok!! Any idea what it was?

They ruled-out the bad stuff, so it's just speculation what it might be. Most likely, they think it's a muscle that has atrophied from reduced activity or just a strain. I don't recall pulling it. I haven't fallen lately.

They suggested ice or heat, whichever feels the most comfortable, and a follow-up with my primary. I have my one-month previously-scheduled appointment with my surgeon on Monday, so I'll let him decide if he wants to explore the pain more.

It must have been an odd thing for the ER having someone in pain not expecting pain meds. Truthfully, what could they possibly have prescribed for me that I don't already have (times ten) at home? The thing I really dislike about ERs is being treated like I'm an attention-seeking, drug-seeking hypochondriac.

After surgery, I did encounter some severe leg cramps at night. Mineral depletion -- Too little potassium, Calcium or magnesium in your diet can contribute to leg cramps. Since you mentioned that you had a problem with fluids. A lack of fluids can alter the concentration of minerals in your blood and throw it out of balance. As this article states "Dehydration is a common cause of muscle cramps. "https://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/article.htm

It is common for your taste buds to change after surgery. Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot Drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

The Fluid requirement is met by a combination. It is not only the water that you drink each day. But also the water you drink when you take your Vitamins and medicine. It is the milk you drink. It is the fluids content of the Protein Shakes. It is the water component of the Soups you take. It is met by flavored water such as Crystal Light. It is met by sugar free popsicles. It is met by tea and Decaf coffee. It is a combination of all the fluids that you consume during the day.

I have to take magnesium, but a form of magnesium salts that absorb better called Triple Calm - if I don't take this I would punch holes in every wall of my house from the painful cramps or kill something....the pain is THAT BAD!!!!

If I get a cramp - ice helps, or a heating pad when I first crawl into bed. I get them in my calves, thighs, top of my foot, front of shin, toes - miserable, miserable, miserable.

Need someone to sing a duet? You just described my cramp symtons to a tee. I tore all skin down from my toes crawling across the floor to get something to help me. Bad happenings!

Always be safe, you did the right thing!! I have had two types of blood clots, PE and DVT and it is nothing to mess around with. While I am fine now, there are lifelong changes such as no hormones ever. I had to go off birth control, I can’t have hormone replacement for menopause, etc.
I am so glad you are ok!

Glad you’re ok. I had some pretty intense leg pain at night maybe 4 months out. I chalked it up to dehydration.... went away about a week later.

I take my Vitamins daily. They include all the micronutrients that are sometimes missing in some so-called multi-vitamins. As I said, my labs came back fine. Nothing was out of range, including my Calcium, magnesium or potassium. I also take a good Iron supplement, sublingual B12, and calcium citrate. I understand how to take my vitamins and minerals to enhance bioavailability. Remember, my daughter is a PharmD and two of my sons are physicians. My daughter lives nearby, but my sons live in Nebraska and Michigan.

The pain is still lip-biting bad. I can't remember having a cramp or cramps like this, ever. Propping up my leg doesn't help; my leg has to be stretched out. I feel foolish lying in bed during the day, but it's the only comfortable way for me to rest my leg. On the one hand, I think I need to rest my leg, but I don't want the muscle to get any weaker, either.

Thank you for all your kind words of concern.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

@James Marusek I appreciate the link you provided. It was very detailed and informative. I found a couple of things that clicked with me. I'm all about educating myself about my own body, so thanks for helping me do that.:)

22 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

They ruled-out the bad stuff, so it's just speculation what it might be. Most likely, they think it's a muscle that has atrophied from reduced activity or just a strain. I don't recall pulling it. I haven't fallen lately.

They suggested ice or heat, whichever feels the most comfortable, and a follow-up with my primary. I have my one-month previously-scheduled appointment with my surgeon on Monday, so I'll let him decide if he wants to explore the pain more.

It must have been an odd thing for the ER having someone in pain not expecting pain meds. Truthfully, what could they possibly have prescribed for me that I don't already have (times ten) at home? The thing I really dislike about ERs is being treated like I'm an attention-seeking, drug-seeking hypochondriac.

I agree! The ERs have gotten way too paranoid that most people are drug seeking! It’s really humiliating when they treat people like that. Especially people truly in pain! Hope you’re feeling better!

My local hosptal gives,Tylenol like they were getting a rebate from the manufacturer. Hangnails, halitosis, hostility here you go. IF THEY ever have a acetaminophen. epidemic my,local hand-held aid station is in Such Trouble.

I added magnesium citrate to my supplements. I had no idea that there were so many forms of magnesium.

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/types-of-magnesium/

Despite, what is said in this article, when it comes to the bariatric community, the form that works best for us is magnesium citrate.

Take magnesium with Calcium for better absorption.

My cramp hasn't improved yet, btw. I hope the magnesium helps soon if that's the cause for my pain.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Wow sorry to hear about the leg cramp. I had a very similar story when I flex from LAX to DFW about a year ago. Got of the plane, and did some stuff work related, and was feeling pretty lousy, leg hurt, was swollen, and was warm to the touch. Went to an outstanding urgent care doctor who told me he was 99% positive it was not DVT, but because of the fact I would be driving in the middle of nowhere (Midland TX) the very next day, he made some calls and got me into an ultrasound imaging facility same day. He texted me on my cell phone once he got the results - nothing wrong. He was willing to call in a script for a narcotic, but I opted to just use Tylenol. In retrospect, in my case it was because I was dehydrated. I wonder if that's what's causing your pain? I know how hard it is to "make up" fluid...At least for me.

Very glad you're feeling better!