Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I will get a few people who will give me **** for this post but I really dgaf.

Post surgery, after you smoke or drink, (whatever is your poisen), what do you eat when you get the muchies?

Carrots? cheese? Nuts? Veggies? chicken? Jello? pudding?

We need to stay healthy, so has anyone experienced this before, and if so, what did you eat?

Thanks in advance for all the non Judgemental peeps!

I've never smoked, and I rarely drank (though for five years now I've had zero alcohol). I have nothing to offer except that it might be good to find some alternative behaviors that move you away from putting things in your mouth so you don't end up mindlessly eating. I wish you all the best.

I try to go Protein 1st. It seems like if I have a slider carb or Jello it doesn’t fill me up and I ending up eating too much of the “treat”. The week of the 4th of July I stalled a bit because of too many slider foods and a few too many cocktails

No judgement here. I took an edible three weeks post RNY and it hit me like a freight train. These were veeeery mild, designed to assist with sleeping but woo-boy did my lack of a stomach and pylorus express it straight to the dome.

Anyway, once I'd ridden out the worst of it I was starving. Cottage cheese was, and still is, the best snack for the munchies for me. Mixed up with some pickles or pineapple a small 1/2 - 3/4 cup was great. The Protein is filling, the taste and texture pleasant and easy on the stomach. I think protein is the way, but knew I'd be too neurotic about taste to deal with a shake - so cheese is the way. I'm hoping I can tolerate Jerky at a stage, chomping on a bit of Biltong also works wonders when munchying but you want to be mindful of what you're eating.

Weirdly - I don't care that much for cottage cheese other times.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm prescribed Dronabinol for my sleep issues, so sometimes I get some munchies from them.

Stick with healthy options. Fruits, veggies, depending on your craving. Just really keep yourself in check with portion sizes and really hammer that Water intake as well. Having good options around is the key here. Halo Top ice creams, fresh or frozen fruits, sugar free options.

I'm a huge fan of Kay's Naturals Protein Snacks for all sorts of different "needs", high protein, low carb, low cal snacks that actually taste really good and they have all sorts of options from sweet to salty to cheesy. For when you just need to crunch through a bag of "chips".

I find a bowl of strawberries and a banana a really great sweet treat. Or yogurts with some Cacao powder on it.

Edited by Matt Z

11 hours ago, RapidFirePickle said:

I've never smoked, and I rarely drank (though for five years now I've had zero alcohol). I have nothing to offer except that it might be good to find some alternative behaviors that move you away from putting things in your mouth so you don't end up mindlessly eating. I wish you all the best.

"Thanks in advance for all the non Judgemental peeps!!" was at the end of my post. clearly you can't read, or maybe you just wanted a cookie, thanks but no thanks. bye.

Edited by miss_smiles

8 hours ago, modymatey said:

No judgement here. I took an edible three weeks post RNY and it hit me like a freight train. These were veeeery mild, designed to assist with sleeping but woo-boy did my lack of a stomach and pylorus express it straight to the dome.

Anyway, once I'd ridden out the worst of it I was starving. Cottage cheese was, and still is, the best snack for the munchies for me. Mixed up with some pickles or pineapple a small 1/2 - 3/4 cup was great. The Protein is filling, the taste and texture pleasant and easy on the stomach. I think Protein is the way, but knew I'd be too neurotic about taste to deal with a shake - so cheese is the way. I'm hoping I can tolerate Jerky at a stage, chomping on a bit of Biltong also works wonders when munchying but you want to be mindful of what you're eating.

Weirdly - I don't care that much for cottage cheese other times.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is a great idea! I love cottage cheese!!! Thanks so much. Another one of my friends suggested cheese too.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:33 AM, miss_smiles said:

"Thanks in advance for all the non Judgemental peeps!!" was at the end of my post. clearly you can't read, or maybe you just wanted a cookie, thanks but no thanks. bye.

I don't eat Cookies.

I was saying that maybe having the munchies might make you eat things that are calorie rich or unhealthy, not that I felt the habits were wrong. I just don't have those particular habits so I cannot relate; I DO want you to be successful. No judgement was involved; I didn't say don't drink or smoke, I said maybe associate your drinking or smoking with non-eating behaviors. Constructive criticism, not judgement.

I eat a low calorie Protein Bar when I get the munchies. It keeps me full for a long time (usually until the munchies go away)

3 hours ago, zombievsg said:

I eat a low calorie Protein Bar when I get the munchies. It keeps me full for a long time (usually until the munchies go away)

That is actually really smart!!!! Which bars are your favorite?

I used to have an unhealthy relationship with cashews and Kettle chips before surgery but now if I find myself a little "munchie" I eat about 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese or natural Peanut Butter and that works well for me.

4 hours ago, miss_smiles said:

That is actually really smart!!!! Which bars are your favorite?

Premier Protein's double chocolate crunch or Pure Protein's chocolate salted caramel! :D

I'm trying to figure out which strains are giving munchies so I can go for the ones that don't. When I do get munchies though I make up a couple of sliced turkey and cheese roll-ups. Then I just take a bite every now and then and hammer the Water. Smoking has actually been really good for my water intake.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

Gelato I use for pain that doesn't respond to Tylenol. Northern lights gives munchies