Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had bypass today and feel like I was hit by a fleet of buses

Had my sleeve to bypass revision today and in a lot of pain. I’ve had seven surgeries in the past for different issues and this by far is the worst for post-op. Hoping someone will tell me it gets better each day

Are you in the hospital? If so, have you asked for pain meds? It will get better but you may need pain management for a few days. Walking helps, and as much as you may not want to do it, do it anyways as it will help dissipate the CO2 gas that was pumped into your abdomen during surgery.

Yes, I’m in the hospital and have a clicker to take more pain medication when needed, I’ve been using it in between naps. Surprisingly they haven’t asked me to walk yet, but my blood pressure is pretty high so I’m assuming that is why. I don’t normally had blood pressure issues. I knew this was going to be a lot more invasive than the sleeve but didn’t expect this. I keep telling myself it will pass and worth it in the long run.

As bad as you feel now, oh how great you'll feel later.

I know pain. As a chronic pain patient, I live with pain daily. Most people have a hard time understanding this, but I actually welcomed my post-op bypass discomfort. Anything to minimize and distract my pain receptors from the horrible pain I feel in my right ankle daily. I take 300mg of morphine on average per day.

When you are asked by the hospital staff about your pain, don't try to be a hero. You deserve to be as comfortable as possible.

And I too second that, people ask me if I fear the pain of my upcoming RnY surgery, No I do not, it will be pain with a purpose, pain that will pass, and when it lessens I will feel joy at undertaking this new facet of my,life. I am not on the degree of pain meds Mo-Less Summit is on but I have had arthritis since I was 25, 48 years ago, some days it diminishes to a dull roar but it always is there. 2 Knne replacement s and the loss of several joints withstanding I still go on for I am a bumblebee. Have you ever,heard its story? The bumblebee is aerodynamically,impossible, his little wings are too short and stubby to ever hold up his body. But nobody ever told him this so he just keeps on flying. And that is what I am like, nobody much has ever pointed out at 72 I am too old to seek surgery so i,will fly bravely towards it and in a few weeks I will be a new veteran like you. Best Wishes and Heal Safely.Frustr8