Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's not fun anymore

Well, I keep my options open, and I've been doing different things for activity. I go to the gym about 2 times a week, workout in my room once a week walk in my room or outside when it's not humid as hell. I've started lifting weights, I can see the gradual progress and I'm just blah about it. The post-workout high point isn't there anymore, I am guessing it's from the depression that I struggle with and my body trying to find it's new normal like a leveler bubble all over the place.

I love being active, and really have not ever felt this way about it, I still like it when I am active but I'm just not getting what I used to out of it. I try classes, I might start those up again once I start working (thank God I have a job now)

I think a lot of this is from not having a job that pays perhaps, I recently became employed and have had a lot of hoops to jump through this week but all my I's are dotted and T's are crossed. I'm just eh, turning inward.

Working out inside has advantages but downsides too, I'm not around people it just becomes destructive over time not getting my sweat on around other humans.

I have liked keeping a lot of options open so that I don't have an excuse, and many days I just push myself. I need to be kinder to myself but I wonder when this will pass it if will. :57_cry:

Find hobbies or activities to participate in that benefits by going to the gym or other training.

I've started Krav Maga and HEMA (sword fighting) martial arts classes and a Couch to 5k. Also decided to train for GoRuck.com obstacle course "races." I don't go to the gym to loose weight, or get stronger or bullk up, I go to the gym to enhance my performance on those activities. The Couch to 5k helps more for endurance. I know going to the gym and training helps loose weight, but the real end goal is for my activities. Even just going on 2-3 miles walks helps me in my photography club when we go on photowalks. I may be going to some of the cardio classes at the gym, and to me, that's so I don't get tired as fast in a sword fight bout, and will help me stay in a GoRuck course.

Find an activity you would like to do, that makes you want to go to the gym.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

thanks wjgo that's what I'm working on. trying different classes, I might take up swimming just to see how I like it.

group fitness camps are the most motivating for me.

Agree with others that you should start an activity that your workouts help with, for that inside motivation. Like hiking this fall, or (I do this one ) riding scooters with your kids, or learning to ice skate (I’m doing that one too). You have more fun and it’s easier, if you keep up your regular workouts.

maybe look for ease of bending down in the kitchen, or ease of walking up hill, etc, rather than the after workout high. It’s been a year for me since I started working out, and i don’t get the high post workout either, I just feel better when I move.

thanks, guys for your replies, I've been in a contract job and love it! It should lead to another Info Tech job within the system I am working for now. I get about 7000 steps a day and when I have the energy I lift weights, usually, it's eh. But you know what I mean. My mood has improved thanks to the full-time work that is engaging, challenging, active and pays decently.

Lifting weights just might not be for you. I need about 2.5 hours to get all the muscles groups/routines in. I split it into 3 consecutive daily (almost daily) gym visits of one hour each (sometime shorter), but every visit one can do abdominal, backs and torso. So, it can take time, and that does not count travel time!

Consider doing a "Couch to 5k" running program. It's typically a 30 minute workout, and all of it is good and calorie burning!

It's simplier than what you think. I using a 12 week program. It's interval training and the jogging part gets longer and the resting part gets shorter as you go along (basically). The basis is if one can walk 5k (3.1 miles) one can jog it. It's a matter of building up some ankle/foot and leg muscles for the jogging impacts and such and learning how to breathe when you run (you can naturally learn it on your own as you do it). For example, I thought I would die when I was supposed to go from 2 minute jogs with 30 sec walk rests to 5 minute jogs with 2 minute walk rests. It was easy! In a week, I go to a single solid 20 minute jog. Then a week of that, I move to a 22 minute jog.

So, this is shorter time, will burn a lot of calories, and gives you a skill everyone should have, running a 5k. And once you do this, you can try doing it faster, or doing it longer.

wjgo yea I am thinking weights might not be a 'thing' I like to do ither...meh, I do workouts at home now let my gym membership go, but before I crash land from after work I do pop in a DVD and workout that way I've gotten it in...again I think it's just my body finding it's 'new normal', working has actually helped a lot of things, purpose for one...two I like the 9 to five routine and I'm sleeping better then I have in a long time...so my body just might need some extra time catching up I do lift weights at home, and calisthenics are my own body weight so I've got body definition, on the whole, I feel better now that I am working along with the workouts :)

Try things with simple tools like punching bag, medicine balls, kettle balls. There are a great many things one can do with a medicine ball and mat. As soon as my 5j training is done, I will be introducing a couch to 50 pushup routine and a couch to 5 minute plank..m

It sounds like your new job has helped a lot- 7000 steps daily is nothing to sneeze at in and of itself! Woot! Woot! How you get there is nothing compared to the determination to get there. I remember in my pre op prep, we met with a physical therapist who reviewed all kinds of research about exercise and its role in long term weight management. The piece of research I have seared in my brain is that research of large number of people who lost a considerable amount of weight and kept it off at least 5 years, they averaged 250-300 minutes of physical exercise per week. There are as many types of exercise and combinations of exercise as there are people, so I'm glad you are experimenting to find the ones YOU enjoy! For me, I LOVE exercising outdoors. Living in Minnesota makes that challenging during some months of the year. I am very iffy about going outside for any length of time if the mercury doesn't hit at least 10 degrees, and of course it requires proper clothing. I have to laugh thought that now I have not one, but two gym memberships (both inexpensive, thankfully, and one reimbursed by health insurance as long as I got at least 8 times per month)), a full wardrobe of work out gear, 2 different gym bags- one stocked for morning workouts (all the gear I need to get ready for work), and one that is smaller, more lightweight, in case I am exercising AFTER work. Most recently, I purchased 10 lb dumb bells for use at home for when I just don't feel like going to the gym. Years ago I had picked up one of those big exercise balls for use sitting at my desk at home, and I'm going to bring it upstairs from the basement for use doing abdominal strengthening exercises at home. You will find what works for you! Way to stick with it!

On 9/8/2018 at 8:34 PM, Lyngolean said:

It sounds like your new job has helped a lot- 7000 steps daily is nothing to sneeze at in and of itself! Woot! Woot! How you get there is nothing compared to the determination to get there. I remember in my pre op prep, we met with a physical therapist who reviewed all kinds of research about exercise and its role in long term weight management. The piece of research I have seared in my brain is that research of large number of people who lost a considerable amount of weight and kept it off at least 5 years, they averaged 250-300 minutes of physical exercise per week. There are as many types of exercise and combinations of exercise as there are people, so I'm glad you are experimenting to find the ones YOU enjoy! For me, I LOVE exercising outdoors. Living in Minnesota makes that challenging during some months of the year. I am very iffy about going outside for any length of time if the mercury doesn't hit at least 10 degrees, and of course it requires proper clothing. I have to laugh thought that now I have not one, but two gym memberships (both inexpensive, thankfully, and one reimbursed by health insurance as long as I got at least 8 times per month)), a full wardrobe of work out gear, 2 different gym bags- one stocked for morning workouts (all the gear I need to get ready for work), and one that is smaller, more lightweight, in case I am exercising AFTER work. Most recently, I purchased 10 lb dumb bells for use at home for when I just don't feel like going to the gym. Years ago I had picked up one of those big exercise balls for use sitting at my desk at home, and I'm going to bring it upstairs from the basement for use doing abdominal strengthening exercises at home. You will find what works for you! Way to stick with it!

Thanks so much for your reply! Yea it's a contract job and will be wrapping up on the 21st of September. I already have a facetime phone interview this coming Monday fingers crossed I get it. It's an in-house IT help desk job that I am interviewing for, I do believe I just might get it!

The experience at Riverside helping them has been awesome and I'm looking forward to a new IT job. The second half of my A-plus test I'll be taking in October before it expires at the end of 2018.

I'm a strong believer in things happening for a reason, and 'for such a time as this' as we rise to each occasion usually, people will come alongside us and assist us when they see a genuine effort being put forth.