Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to stop eating?

I had gastric bypass over a month ago and my surgery went great. No pain, no gas, no nausea no nothing but I have a little problem.. I get hungry. I know some people don’t get hungry, others feel a little hunger but I get hungry HUNGRY! I feel almost the same hunger pangs that I used to get before I had my surgery yet that doesn’t bother me too much because when I do eat I can only have a few bites before restriction takes over regardless of how hungry I feel. With that being said, my issue is how long it takes my stomach to send me the message that I’m full. So let me explain.. I get hungry, I eat, I feel the restriction, I stop. I’m still hungry but I can’t eat anymore. 15min later after I’ve finished eating is that my fullness comes in and it’s like a weed brownie but Instead of getting higher and higher I get fuller and fuller and fuller until I feel like I will burst. I hate when this happens and the only way to control it is if I stop eating while I still feel like I’m starving and walk away from my food and even then it’s not guaranteed. Does this happen to anyone else? It happens with any and everything broth, Soup mash, solids.

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

Your very lucky to not had any of the usaual pain after post surgery.

For me I’m again fresh out 6days but I’m not hungry nor do I get the full filling.

Im on liquids and Soup currently so it might change.

But I would say if I get hungry hungry like you describe I would drink something give it 30 min if I’m still hungry that is when I would eat 1-2oz stop for 15 min eat 1-2 more oz to get your 4oz in then stop.

make sure you are getting all your liquids and daily Protein amounts as well.

Edited by Oceanlove

Your very lucky to not had any of the usaual pain after post surgery.
For me I’m again fresh out 6days but I’m not hungry nor do I get the full filling.
Im on liquids and Soup currently so it might change.
But I would say if I get hungry hungry like you describe I would drink something give it 30 min if I’m still hungry that is when I would eat 1-2oz stop for 15 min eat 1-2 more oz to get your 4oz in then stop.
make sure you are getting all your liquids and daily Protein amounts as well.

I used to be the same way, I didn’t get hungry or full. I was just trying to stay hydrated and would sip Water and Protein but was too scared to have too much. I literally drank from a medicine cup and took me 3 sips to get it down. But I’m deff going to try and eat even less take a brake and if I must eat a little more but it just seems like crazing. Ugh i really dislike this late fullness thing I have going on [emoji30]

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

I had a similar experience! It doesn't happen every day but it's happened maybe... 6 times and i'm a little over 2 months out. It becomes suuuper painful for me. I think mine had to do with how fast I was eating. Think that could be the case for you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is why my program recommends that you eat your meal over a 30 minute time period, to allow your brain time to catch up. I personally don’t do this, I still eat too fast, but I don’t overeat by some saving grace. Try slowing down. Put your fork down between bites. Try eating standing up. I’m sure there are other tips to eating slower, but I’d give it a go.

Hi, remember 30-20-30 don't drink anything 30 minutes before your meal and make sure you time your meal to 20 minutes and don't drink 30 minutes after your meal.

If your feeling hungry you may be wait to long to eat.might try eating 6 small meals a day.

Make sure you get your Water and Protein in. between your meals. I have sugar free popcycles or sugar free Jello if I'm hungry in between my meals.

Sometimes your brain is playing tricks on you and that's why you think your hungry.just follow your stomach.it will tell you when you had enough because you will get a dumping syndrome if you over eat.and you won't do that again.

Good luck . it's all trial and error

Maybe you just need those extra couple of bites fifteen minutes later. How could that not be okay? I'm 2 weeks behind you, but I'm figuring we're still in our learning-curve slash minefield phase of recovery. We're also not that well-acquainted with our new bodies yet, so allow for some missteps, which might not really even be missteps. Be kinder to yourself. Don't work too hard to make yourself feel bad because... that will only MAKE YOU FEEL BAD.