Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumb question about over eating

This is probably a dumb question but here goes. So WLS makes you feel uncomfortably full so you don’t overeat. My fear is, I overeat like crazy now, being full or not has nothing to do with it. I am having surgery next week. What if it doesn’t work for me because I still eat now when I feel terribly full?

Trust me it will work for u. I had my surgery March 16th and when I was finally cleared to eat solid food everything I ate came back up because I was trying to eat too much. U will get used to it. U will know that you’re full.

I was you, but I have no interest in overeating anymore. Granted it's only 2w since my surgery, and learning new eating habits (and learning to believe that you don't need to!) is certainly part of the process.

It's not a dumb question at all! it's a great question. How does feeling full help someone who is used to eating past feeling full?

First off...it's a serious full feeling. Like...full like after Thanksgiving dinner....after just a few ounces. You feel stuffed. Which is awesome.

But the bad news...is that it will not stop compulsive eating and you CAN overeat until you regain after surgery if you don't work on behavior modification.

Surgery will help a lot to remind you to work on these issues.....but for it to work long term...you need to do the work to change the behavior.

Great question!

Edited by Creekimp13

I don't know how others feel but when I was a before surgery peep, I discovered that those who are overweight don't eat because they were hungry but we all aren't able just eating to be eating. I was not happy until I had the STUFFED feeling. Maybe not everyone felt this way but...I definitely wanted the Over stuffed n feelings. Not consciously but that was my end of eating. I know I am one of the lucky ones, because I still have no physically but my emotions and remembering what it felt like and tasted like sometimes will push me to overeat. I have a lot of restriction left so when and if I do eat or drink to much it hurts like HELL!!! You would think I would learn from my mistakes but heck no!!! Not that I am cryin in my beer (Gosh if only I could have a big A** BEER) I am so lucky!! Just like was said before it is learning our new normal!! If you work hard and follow your DR.'s guidelines you can and will be ok.

There are no stupid questions.

The over full feeling goes WAY up your throat! And you get the slimes or foamies - spit bubbling up and then the food comes back up too. Not strong projectile vomiting as if you were sick, but trust me it HAS to come back up. Plus you will be sooo aggitated and uncomfortable you will want it out!!!! You will learn fast.

Of course after a few months, you can shove some quantities of slider food down your gullet if you choose to, but even then you can make yourself uncomfortable. Oh and for me - no rice - it expands, one or two spoons and it was misery. I have no desire for Pasta at all - I'll have a homemade meatball and some sauce. I only eat rye toasted - one slice w avocado and my morning egg. Regular bread or tortillas are Gummy and don't set well, so I don't try them anymore.

Just follow the rules, Protein first, chew well, eat slow, then couple bites of veg and you will be full and content. I get the hiccups, runny nose or sneezing about a minute after my sleeve is full. I have learned to wait, stop eating when there are 3 bites left on my small plate, and sure enough about a minute later - hiccups.