Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not a kilo lost through Gastric Sleeve :(

Hi

I’m a 43 year old female who weighs 75kg. I am 158cm tall and I had a gastric sleeve done in June 2017.

I am apparently one of the few who has not lost a single kilo since my surgery. In fact, I was at 69kg when I got it done so if anything, I’ve put on 6kg since.

My doctor has offered me a gastric bypass which I have accepted and booked in.

I have a really sweet tooth which is my biggest issue. I just can’t stop.

Just wondering, what is it really like to have a sweet tooth then suddenly get a bypass? If you had your chance, would you have gotten it or is this one of your biggest regrets?

Please do not criticise me because you feel I am not heavy enough. I’m not here because I need someone to judge me.

Everyone else, I can’t wait to hear from you.
Regards
Sad.

My problem was sweets before surgery. I could pretty good until evening then find myself craving sweets and eat way too many. I don’t have dumping as much as I wish I would. I can manage some sweets without adverse reactions. But honestly, they don’t taste good anymore. Rare occasions my head will crave a bit of ice cream, it’s horrible I can’t stand it anymore. That used to be my favorite.
I’m almost 4 months post op

Hw-378
Sw- 363 (2/27/18)
CW-305

Thank you for getting back to me. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I’m really scared and I don’t know why. I am the same as you were. I’m fine all day and then I cannot stop eating every single sweet thing available. Emptying the pantry doesn’t help because ahh I’ll just drive. Do you have any regrets or pains or anything else as a result of this op?

I opted for bypass bc I knew sweets were my biggest problem, I was really hoping for bad dumping even if I touched a sweet. I wasn’t lucky to get that but still at this point it’s better than craving sweets. I literally might only mentally crave a sweet maybe once a week. I take one maybe two bites and I’m finished. I needing help detoxing from sugar. It’s extremely addictive. But I’m hoping even if I’m the future I’m able to eat it more that I’m so used to not eating it now that I will find it satisfying after a couple of bites or perhaps a serving rather than a whole box!!! Haha. Don’t let yourself get back into the habit though. I’m sure you could push through and then get hooked back on it.
No regrets at all only wish I would have done it sooner! Good luck. Surgery 2/27 I was 363
Today 297.6!!!!!!!

Hw-378
Sw- 363 (2/27/18)
CW-299

You have some amazingly well. Good on you, I know it is not easy and you have succeeded already. I’m the opposite. I’m scared of getting dumping. To be honest it’s scaring the most as I’ve heard you become really sick to the point of being hospitalised. So it’s better to get the dumping? Lol. Im so confused lol. I’m booked in for 10 July. Yayks.

Ps. I think I’m the first person in history to have a gastric sleeve done and not lose weight. Can you believe it???? Lol

Converting to bypass may lead to some initial weight loss due to the malabsorption it causes. And you may have dumping which will deter you from sweets. But honestly, have you looked into therapy for food addition? As it is said over and over, WLS is only tool, we need to relearn our eating habits. You really need to find a way to break your sugar compulsion if you want long term success.

I hoped to have dumping bc of bypass. Honestly I’ve had dumping symptoms due to fast food too. If dumping is a result of eating things you shouldn’t, it prevents you from doing it again. Which for me was a huge positive. Let’s be honest, there’s absolutely no reason to eat sweets or junk food. I’ve cut out so much significantly. I’ve never heard of someone being hospitalized due to dumping. I guess you could go but not much they can do for you. I’ve never thrown up due to dumping but learned my lesson pretty quickly. It keeps me from trying others so that’s good for me. Dumping sucks but it keeps me on track. I still have to hold my self accountable as it doesn’t do it for everything.

Hw-378
Sw- 363 (2/27/18)
CW-299

As said above, sleeve and bypass are just tools. If you were to consume too many calories through liquid calories like alcohol and soft drinks and lots of sweets both will fail to help you lose weight. You may or may not get dumping from bypass surgery. As sillykitty said above, you likely need to seek help for your sugar addiction with something like overeaters anonymous to help you succeed in beating your addiction.

Dumping syndrome will not change a food/sweets addiction anymore than a hangover prevents alcoholism.

The problem is mental, but can be overcome with help.

Do the surgery if you want to, but combine it with therapy or another form of support. It will help to ensure your success.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies and support. I’m ready to make a change however I suspect there’s something else going on to be honest... I’m trying to learn as much as I can before I go ahead. Sarhgrif hit the nail on the head by stating that she had to hold herself accountable. I have my days where I want to fulfil every sweet tooth in my mouth however over I do eat well. I try to stick to sugar free most of the time and am active. There’s something more to this and even the doctor can’t understand it. Someone mentioned ulcer/gastritis which I’m keen to investigate as I have some funny tho ha going on like severe cramping, severe gerd when I haven’t even eaten and a few other things.... thank you for opening my eyes up to things i didn’t understand prior to being here.

And yes! I could do with some sort of counselling for this periods I go through where my sugar addiction is high. I won’t deny it.

23 hours ago, Saddy said:

Ps. I think I’m the first person in history to have a gastric sleeve done and not lose weight. Can you believe it???? Lol

If you are eating sweets, yes.

@Saddy I commend you for being honest. I was in denial about my morbid obesity for years. It was only when I had that ah ha moment coupled with some dangerous health issues that I understood my life was in danger and so I began to change my eating habits. I started counselling. After changing my habits, I decided to do WLS.

I personally believe that until you get to the root issues of why we run to food, sweets, junk food to comfort or emotionally support us, no amount of WLS procedure is going to 'cure' us. Something has to switch in your brain FIRST otherwise you will just go back to the same cycles and habits.

If you are able to find a bariatric therapist I think it would really benefit you before you commit to another surgical procedure. I have always been weak with self discipline in the area of food and I am only now, at 48 years old, realizing that there comes a time when you just have to tell yourself no and not give yourself everything you want whenever you want it.

Its easy to eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day if you are eating chocolate bars, sweeties, ice-cream, gummies, etc. even on a reduced stomach size.

I hope you find encouragement to keep on going deeper and support in your journey to get HEALTHY and not just loose weight. Cheering for you