Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery 5/9 of this year.

When I was first released from the hospital I was put on prilosec for nausea, even though at the time I had no nausea. Then about 2 weeks ago I started getting really nauseated by TAKING the pill, I stopped taking it and the nausea is gone for almost everything now, except Protein Shakes. I have a lot of the Premier Protein drinks, as well as some off-brand equate Protein Drinks, and I've also done the carnation Protein. Any time I try any of these shakes, I have to make myself drink them and I feel extremely nauseated.

I'm mostly getting my protein with meat, been having lots of turkey, chicken, and fish, and some cheese and almonds every now and then too. But I know the protein shakes are best to have, so I was curious if anyone else had this problem and if anyone had any suggestions? I also have a problem lately with diarrhea, especially after trying to drink a Protein Shake, but I do get it every now and then when I don't drink them. My next Dr appointment isn't for two more weeks, so I wanted to see if anyone else had any tips before I see him again.

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you may have become lactose intolerant. That would explain both the nausea and the diarrhea. You also might be sensitive to the sweeteners in the shakes. I hope you figure this out.

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you may have become lactose intolerant. That would explain both the nausea and the diarrhea. You also might be sensitive to the sweeteners in the shakes. I hope you figure this out.

That's always possible, though I handle all cheeses well. (I've been getting lots of those "Protein Packs" with meat and cheese and I've been handling the cheese fine. I forgot to mention in the above post, I did have my galbladder out several years ago- which does cause diarrhea if I have anything high in fat or fried (which is very very limited now that I've had surgery anyways.) but I know before if I had any sweet drinks I'd sometimes have to run to the bathroom within a short time. Thank you, I definitely want to do whatever is best!

Just for laughs, you should see about getting a sample of some plant based Proteins from your local supplement store, they will usually offer you some samples to try. It's possible that @Orchids&Dragons is correct and you've become intolerant to the potentially highly concentrated levels of lactose that can be present in some of the lower grade proteins. My father is very lactose intolerant and he was able to eat certain cheeses due to the low lactose levels. Or take a lactaid pill before you consume a shake to see if it helps. At this point, it's worth trying out to see if it helps rather than not.

If you can take soy-based try Svelte, I have the French vanilla and liked it very well. Maybe also test Vega out. Check at GNC , costco Sams Club or your nearest health food store, I am sure there is an answer we just,have to do a liile detective work. CreekImp, Little Green can either of you help on this?

I became intolerant to why Protein isolate about 1 month post op. It made me extremely nauseated.

I eliminated Premier Protein drinks, and Isopure powders. I switched over to Muscle Milk Pro premade shakes, which have casein as the protein source. I also use Medifast powders for shakes when I'm traveling, which are soy based.