Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression or mood changes with sleeve

So I did alot of research regarding mood changes like depression after sleeve. I am pretty sure I was already triple depressed and stressed. So if anything my mood has improved a bit. Can anyone relate.

As you lose weight, the chemicals and hormones that were stored in your fat cells are being released into your body. These will pass through your kidneys and are expelled in your urine or through your sweat. But they can generate a flush of hormones during the weight loss phase. They should simmer down once you transition into maintenance. It is important to meet your daily Fluid requirements, because it take fluids to flush these hormones from your system.

On 06/13/2018 at 21:27, James Marusek said:

As you lose weight, the chemicals and hormones that were stored in your fat cells are being released into your body. These will pass through your kidneys and are expelled in your urine or through your sweat. But they can generate a flush of hormones during the weight loss phase. They should simmer down once you transition into maintenance. It is important to meet your daily Fluid requirements, because it take fluids to flush these hormones from your system.

So I may be moody for 18 months... Great

I've been really surprised that these threads don't really discuss psychological counseling or psychiatric/prescription drug treatment post-surgery. Many people (including myself) have struggled with depression prior to surgery, so mood disorders are par for the course afterward. Setting aside the hormonal changes, for a lot of people, eating used to be a primary source of pleasure, so it can feel like a deprivation afterward. There is no shame in consulting with a mental health professional to help us through the mental and physical recovery post-op. This is a big transition, so take care of yourself!

I was sleeved on June 18. I am just now having all sorts of "emotional outbursts" or crying spells. I was on Zoloft prior to surgery and have remained on it since. I also took a lot of herbal Vitamins for moodiness and menopause and have not had any of those since surgery. I don't want to go around feeling sorry for myself. Any pointers?

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

There are multiple studies (below) that show SSRIs like zoloft are temporarily less effective following bariatric surgery. This is because the acid in your stomach, which normally helps break down the medication so your intestine can absorb it properly, is healing (and your diet is geared to avoid acid production). Same problem with other anti-depressants that are time released (XL, XR, etc.) I’d talk to your psychiatrist about the issues and see if they can put you on a different formulation. Also, if your pill is crushable, I would try taking it that way so more of it breaks down in your stomach.

Hope this helps.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4026560/

I was so angry and depressed after surgery. So many emotions to deal with. Felt like I lost my best friend. Self inflicted deprivation. Regret every day and wondering how I could have made this choice to have 80 % of my stomach cut out. I think I even mourned the loss of a body part. My mother passed away and I had nothing to turn to. Everyone got to gether to eat. I went home alone sad and angry...I returned to work and thought that would help. Found out I'm angry at everyone, maybe because they get to eat and I don't. Maybe because they don't know what I'm going through. The sleeve also gave me confidence and bolness and at times no filter. Everything in my life has changed. Everyday since surgery has been a struggle. Everyday regret. But its getting better and I have to realize I saved my life. I can only hope that someday I will not regret the surgery.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I think things will settle down and you'll really be able to as the benegits

benefits, be able to see the benefits

I've already seen the benefits. I'm down 40 lbs in two months . people compliment me in the weight loss and say how good I look. It means nothing and doesn't make me happy. I still can't eat! I mean ..cant eat like I want to...its like someone took away my drug of choice.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

My depressive dips are slightly more stable, or at least I’m a hell of a lot more self-aware in them. I haven’t noticed any inefficiency with my (very low dose) medication, but when I spiral I seem to spiral a lot slower? Used to be like getting sucked into a whirlpool. Still not sure if that slower thing is good or bad, since it means I don’t ramp up my dose and fight through it instead.

One thing that I think is a direct result of losing food as a self-medicating factor: I am a lot clearer about what triggers me into depression. It used to be masked by a bunch of body image issues, but it’s pretty damn clear now that injustice is what brings on a combo of seething anger and depression. The depression used to be much more significant than the anger, but now it’s flipped. I can get VERY ANGRY about something that used to make me mostly sad and withdrawn. I’ve been angry and depressed for about a week now, it’s bloody exhausting (and yes, I do meditate).

I am struggling with depression and other mood changes. Pre-surgery I had some depression, anxiety, ptsd and other issues. I am still on the same meds but my mood swings have intensified. Sometimes I am just angry for no reason! I am hoping its just the hormones and things will calm down soon.