Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op...feeling great

Hi Jessica, my husband works nights, so he was home but asleep but if i needed him he would wake up but thankfully i dudnt need help, i was told by dr not to lift anything that weighed more then a gallon of milk. So i was able to cook, do dishes, wash laundry small loads at a time, i was also able to drive as long as i was not on my pain pills so i went swimming with my daughters, and grand daughter, shopped. Just run around. I do not chew gum because tgey ssid it can cause u to have air in your belly so i didnt want that. My incisions have all healed, my glue has come off completely and other than sometimes a slight pain on my left side it feels great. I tgink it might still be a little swollen but im not sure, no head hunger yet. I havent really wanted too much, but i will say the 2 small bites of mashed potatoes tasted great. And mentally im great, i was kinda goin a little bit crazy wanting to go back to work, but knowing i didnt want to push too soon and end up back off. And as far as being tired not really. I know i sleep soooo much better now, and im able to pull 10 hour shift with out any problem. But considering being overweight for all those years i was really wore out but it was the norm for me so i never knew any different. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

[mention=340882]jrandolph68[/mention] That's a great idea about the cooler. I bought those little 2 oz. clear disposable cups with lids and think they may look weird in our office refrigerator. I like the idea of storing a little cooler under my desk.
[mention=340882]jrandolph68[/mention] & [mention=333085]Kimbero[/mention] Congrats on being this far our post op. You are my veterans now. [emoji4] Hoping I may ask you a few questions?
Did you have help at home when you returned from the hospital?
Can you chew gum?
How does your tummy feel?
Any head hunger?
Do you feel weak or out of it or pretty much like yourself?
How do you feel emotionally?

Wife helps all the time. Was told not to chew gum because of air. I suck on sugar-free breath mints. They are small and give me the flavor I would crave with gum. I had staples which have been removed. I will have scars to match my heart surgery scar. My belly looks like a constellation.

Have had no stomach issues like nausea...just alot of weird noises coming from there. No head hunger...not much hunger at all which is weird. I get a little dizzy when standing which is caused by not enough fluids and low blood pressure..I have cut back on BP meds.

Emotionally, I am alot better. My PCP said I look like I have hope for the first time in a long time. She was treating me for depression before surgery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

21 hours ago, jrandolph68 said:

Wife helps all the time. Was told not to chew gum because of air. I suck on sugar-free breath mints. They are small and give me the flavor I would crave with gum. I had staples which have been removed. I will have scars to match my heart surgery scar. My belly looks like a constellation.

Have had no stomach issues like nausea...just alot of weird noises coming from there. No head hunger...not much hunger at all which is weird. I get a little dizzy when standing which is caused by not enough fluids and low blood pressure..I have cut back on BP meds.

Emotionally, I am alot better. My PCP said I look like I have hope for the first time in a long time. She was treating me for depression before surgery.

You're doing so great! It's nice you have your spouse to help you. I talked to the Bariatric Coordinator today at pre-op and she said sugar free gum is ok - Yay! She just said don't go crazy because it can make you salivate and may make you more hungry.

It's encouraging you have not had any nausea. Has your family mentioned the tummy noises are loud enough for them to hear? I read that never goes away.

Already cutting back on BP meds --- look at you GO!

The emotional part if the best to hear and I can understand feeling down. Something has shifted in me in recent months from "no hope" to "I'm going to fight this obesity once and for all!"

21 hours ago, Kimbero said:

Hi Jessica, my husband works nights, so he was home but asleep but if i needed him he would wake up but thankfully i dudnt need help, i was told by dr not to lift anything that weighed more then a gallon of milk. So i was able to cook, do dishes, wash laundry small loads at a time, i was also able to drive as long as i was not on my pain pills so i went swimming with my daughters, and grand daughter, shopped. Just run around. I do not chew gum because tgey ssid it can cause u to have air in your belly so i didnt want that. My incisions have all healed, my glue has come off completely and other than sometimes a slight pain on my left side it feels great. I tgink it might still be a little swollen but im not sure, no head hunger yet. I havent really wanted too much, but i will say the 2 small bites of mashed potatoes tasted great. And mentally im great, i was kinda goin a little bit crazy wanting to go back to work, but knowing i didnt want to push too soon and end up back off. And as far as being tired not really. I know i sleep soooo much better now, and im able to pull 10 hour shift with out any problem. But considering being overweight for all those years i was really wore out but it was the norm for me so i never knew any different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

As a single mom you don't know how encouraging this is to hear. I don't think I'll need the pain meds long and I love that you were doing home chores and then actually went out the pool and shopping already. I so want that since I'm taking a couple weeks off. I hope to spend a little extra time with the kids especially my youngest who is 7. You really are a success story with your recovery. May I ask your stats (weight/height)? Qhere you started and where you are now and where you want to go? Love that you're already feeling benefits like sleeping better and feeling good energy. Feel free to jump over in the June RNY Buddies page. You're so close to June. There are a few on there just beginning their journey and I'm sure would love to read about your success so far.

You're doing so great! It's nice you have your spouse to help you. I talked to the Bariatric Coordinator today at pre-op and she said sugar free gum is ok - Yay! She just said don't go crazy because it can make you salivate and may make you more hungry.
It's encouraging you have not had any nausea. Has your family mentioned the tummy noises are loud enough for them to hear? I read that never goes away.
Already cutting back on BP meds --- look at you GO!
The emotional part if the best to hear and I can understand feeling down. Something has shifted in me in recent months from "no hope" to "I'm going to fight this obesity once and for all!"
The tummy noises come and go and yes they can be loud. With so much focus on the physical part of this, the mental/emotional aspect needs more emphasis. Glad to hear you are in a good mindset.