Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopped losing after 8 weeks

Help! My weight loss stalled after 8 weeks, and I'm not sure how to get things moving again. I track every bite with MFP, and limit my calories to 800/day (40 grams of carbs). Has anyone had a pattern like this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

image.png.30c677eb26949cd3f423197b9c121d41.png

15 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

My weight loss stalled after 8 weeks

This is totally normal. Your body will stall / pause when it needs to re-calibrate.

You failed to state your Water intake. Our bodies cannot process fat if there isn't enough water.
You failed to state your current exercise program/rate. WLS patients need to be hitting 60+ mins of focused exercise a day.
Are you focusing on your Proteins first?

Have you had your body fat % checked? If not, do it! I'm lucky enough to have a scale that measures body fat % as well, for the last week I've been "stuck" at 258, but.. in those 5 days, I've also dropped .7% body fat. So, just because the "dial" isn't moving on the weight number, it could very well be dropping elsewhere.

Keep tracking.
Keep getting upwards of 128oz of water.
Keep (or start) getting your 60+ mins of targeted / focused exercise (moving around at work really doesn't count)
Start working out to build some muscle. Doesn't have to be a lot, but larger muscle burns more fat than a smaller one.

The stall will break, just stay on target and don't get frustrated!

How long is that stall? Have you also been tracking your measurements? Because you might be losing inches even if it doesn't quite show on the scale. This might be a good time to change your exercises to give your system a little shock.

Thanks for the post, Matt. Its really emotionally hard to stop losing weight for 4 weeks. There was a cruise in there where my weight fluctuated up then immediately back down.

I joined a gym late last week, so its still too earlier to gauge how that is helping, but I know it was the right thing to do.

My Water intake...it may have dropped off, so I'll shoot for 128 starting today << that's a LOT, btw, lol, but I think I can do it.

I see my RD in 2 weeks for my 3 month checkup, not sure what her advice will be.

1 minute ago, CaribeRidge said:

How long is that stall? Have you also been tracking your measurements? Because you might be losing inches even if it doesn't quite show on the scale. This might be a good time to change your exercises to give your system a little shock.

4 weeks, sigh. I joined a gym late last week (great minds think alike...), so I have that underway now. Its always been extremely hard for me to lose weight -- my RMR must be rock-bottom low.

Do you know where to get RMR tested?

OK, just signed up to get a Dexa scan and RMR test tomorrow. :-) I was looking for just the RMR test, but decided to go ahead and get a baseline Dexa at the same time. Results could be alarming, LOL.

Hang in there. I was stalled for nearly 4 months, and it just moved down 4#s this week. It is very frustrating.

But the weight I was stuck at may have been a set point I had not been at for a very long time and my body may have just needed a rest.

You can try all the advice - more Water, more sleep, more Protein, more exetcise, carbs below 40 - and it may not change it, or it might!!! So don't get discouraged. Just keep going.

1 hour ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Just keep going.

Like I have a choice!! :lol: Set points... you know, my current weight has been the "floor" for me with weight loss the few times I've tried. Glad to hear your weight is on the move again -- that must be nice for you!!

My RD got back to me and had all of the same advice: Water, exercise, track, carb restrictions. And be patient, sigh.

If I lose a mere 1# per week, I could hit my goal by the end of the year...

Edited by Apple203

DEXA and RMR tests -- so cool!

My RMR (resting metabolic rate) is 1,512 calories a day, which, when combined with lifestyle and exercise is slightly lower than average, but nothing drastic. This puts my total energy output at about 2,122 calories a day, less than my Fitbit's 30-day average of 2,330. Either way, with my calories-in at 800/day (1200 on a WILD day, lol), I should be losing weight.

DEXA confirmed that I am still fat -- 46%, to be precise. And that I have extremely heavy, dense bones (go, genetics), which is good news since I've been on Synthroid since I was 18 (is associated with bone loss).

Also no one mentions food output but your bowel movements have to be VERY regular. You can store pounds and pounds of waste if you are not excreting it properly.

This is very true! I need to re-establish some regularity in that department.

My stall isn't nearly as drastic, but I'm super frustrated too. I'm 7.5 weeks out, I've stalled twice and this one has been about a week. Granted, I had REALLY bad nausea for over 2 weeks and barely ate or Frank anything or barely moved and I am sure that didn't help and maybe is the cause. But I've been eating and finally drinking the most fluids I have I think, ever. Since my surgery i had terrible pain for the first 3.5 weeks, I was ok for maybe a week and then I had the horrible nausea and NOW (yesterday!) I did something to my knee and am waiting for an appointment! And this was while I was getting exercise stuff. Lol I swear will I get to 1/4 of goal?! So resting the knee with ice, and I don't know if I should cut my calorie intake or leave alone so I don't confuse my body more! It's 700 or less, over 5 days average of 685, most being 730. Carbs no more than 36. Probably too high, as soon as I can start walking I'm going to, I ordered a sleeve for my knee for the future

Honestly, I can't remember what they suggested for calories, fat, and carbs right now either. My book may say but my husband "helped" me clean so I need to find it.

22 hours ago, Apple203 said:

DEXA and RMR tests -- so cool!

My RMR (resting metabolic rate) is 1,512 calories a day, which, when combined with lifestyle and exercise is slightly lower than average, but nothing drastic. This puts my total energy output at about 2,122 calories a day, less than my Fitbit's 30-day average of 2,330. Either way, with my calories-in at 800/day (1200 on a WILD day, lol), I should be losing weight.

DEXA confirmed that I am still fat -- 46%, to be precise. And that I have extremely heavy, dense bones (go, genetics), which is good news since I've been on Synthroid since I was 18 (is associated with bone loss).

Maybe 800 calories is too low? That’s a deficit of at least 1300 per day.

Either way I know it’s frustrating to be at such a long stall. I hope your RD has some insights for you.

Hope it breaks soon for you! :1296_raised_hands_tone2:

19 hours ago, magpie26 said:

My stall isn't nearly as drastic, but I'm super frustrated too. I'm 7.5 weeks out, I've stalled twice and this one has been about a week. Granted, I had REALLY bad nausea for over 2 weeks and barely ate or Frank anything or barely moved and I am sure that didn't help and maybe is the cause. But I've been eating and finally drinking the most fluids I have I think, ever. Since my surgery i had terrible pain for the first 3.5 weeks, I was ok for maybe a week and then I had the horrible nausea and NOW (yesterday!) I did something to my knee and am waiting for an appointment! And this was while I was getting exercise stuff. Lol I swear will I get to 1/4 of goal?! So resting the knee with ice, and I don't know if I should cut my calorie intake or leave alone so I don't confuse my body more! It's 700 or less, over 5 days average of 685, most being 730. Carbs no more than 36. Probably too high, as soon as I can start walking I'm going to, I ordered a sleeve for my knee for the future

Wow, I am sorry you have had such a tough time since surgery. FWIW, I don't think you should cut calories any lower. Feel better....