Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT happend to me?

Last night before bed, I had a laughing cow chunck of cheese, and took my meds and Vitamins. I took them with Water. I was so tired...so I went to bed, and fell asleep almost immediately (within a half hour). At 3 a.m. I woke up choking on something; not solid but very acidic. It was gross.

I am guess that since I laid down so soon after the cheese and pills, the food lay above the band and did digesting there. Then with a toss and turn in the night, caused me to gag.

I was horrified, and today am really feeling 'sore' from it. This never happend before - but I've never laid down so fast after eating either.

Was this what happened to me???

Please help.

Sherilynn.....hi, there! You had an episode of acid reflux. I've finally learned not to eat or take meds late at night or it happens every time. I take an acid reflux pills every night, too. You probably got your esophagus irritated with the acid, which can make it swell a little, so you might want to stay on liquids or at least on mushies for a day or so and let it heal.

Sherilynn.....hi, there! You had an episode of acid reflux. I've finally learned not to eat or take meds late at night or it happens every time. I take an acid reflux pills every night, too. You probably got your esophagus irritated with the acid, which can make it swell a little, so you might want to stay on liquids or at least on mushies for a day or so and let it heal.

GayleTX you are doing amazingly well!! Any advice , especially in terms of getting Breakfast down?? I rarely am able to eat solids before 2-3 p.m.

Hi Gayle,

Thanks so much. I pretty much figured that is what it was. It was really horrifying, since I've never had an acid reflex issue -- ever!!!

As it turns out, I kept an empty tummy for almost the entire day. I woke up and went for a hair cut, came home and had a granola bar. I keep crunchies in well. So after that; we took off on a trip into the city to see Jersey Boys...with dinner after. AMAZING resturant, with amazing food. All the appetizers were family style so I was able to pick and choose pretty well. I did some cheeses, some italian cold cuts, a little bit of fried calamari. Didn't stuff myself. Then came dinner. I did the filet mignon - and it was HUGE. So, I cut off about 1/3 of it, ate most, b/c at this point I was feeling full. The rest is now in my fridge, for my lunch on Monday at work.

So now, I'm having a bottle of Water. I'm only going to take my night time meds - and that's it. I'll save my Vitamins for the a.m. And I'm going to remain 'upright' for at least an hour.

That reflex was a horrible thing. For those who suffer with it on a regular basis - I feel so bad for you. And going forward, I'm going to do everything to avoid it. I should have known better - but again, another learning experience with my band.

Sheri

I notice that some posters on here mention having coffee and pop. Is this something that can be done without getting ill or ruining the band? I have never had either but sometimes I sure would like a GOOD cup of coffee

Early mornings are hard for most bandsters.....the band seems to curl up in a fetal position at night and want to stay there! I learned early to start the day with a warm drink or two and give it time to loosen up. I'm not hungry til middle of the day, but by then I can usually eat - not that I really want to - I don't have much appetite, but I can get it down pretty well.

As for coffee......I think most surgeons say avoid it for 6 months or so. I never drank coffee in my life til a few months after surgery and now I drink quite a lot.....warm drinks just seem to make my pouch happier. I mix my Protein supplements with coffee and really enjoy them.....my fave is nectar brand Cappacino - I mix 1 scoop with a little Water, stir it til smooth, add 1 1/2 c. coffee and some FF Creamer (it's also good with just plaiin warm Water, tho). At night, I usually use chocolate powder for my bedtime Protein either in coffe/water. If you are using protein supps, the decaff coffee tastes just as good as the regular IMO.

As for pop, Inamed, the band manufacturer, literature says 'no carbonated drinks' forever. They are not good for anybody anyhow, so it's a good habit to break even before wls....not easy, though, is it. Tea and Chrystal Light and Kool-aid help out.

Not until recently did I start my day with a hot beverage. I find that it helps. Also slows me down. No RUSH to eat my Breakfast. There is time for it a 1/2 or an hour later.

It definately loosens things, to make a breakfast easier.

Again, my breakfast can be a crunchy granola bar of sorts.

Sherilynn, I too have the same problem if I eat and immediatly go to bed. I try and eat about an hour or two before bedtime.