Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't pray for me



Recommended Posts

So, here's a topic I know may anger some, but is there anyone else who can't stand when someone just assumes you're religious and offers to pray for you? As an atheist, I never presume to guess what anyone else's beliefs are and I don't go around telling random people there is no god, especially in a time of turmoil or crisis. So when I tell someone I'm having surgery, or about any other significant event, whether in person or online, how about a little common courtesy and not just assuming I believe as you do and leaving your religion out of it?

I'm not looking to debate the existence of god here, I'm just trying to get people to realize that other people believe differently than they do and to not make assumptions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elforman said:

So, here's a topic I know may anger some, but is there anyone else who can't stand when someone just assumes you're religious and offers to pray for you? As an atheist, I never presume to guess what anyone else's beliefs are and I don't go around telling random people there is no god, especially in a time of turmoil or crisis. So when I tell someone I'm having surgery, or about any other significant event, whether in person or online, how about a little common courtesy and not just assuming I believe as you do and leaving your religion out of it?

I'm not looking to debate the existence of god here, I'm just trying to get people to realize that other people believe differently than they do and to not make assumptions.

How is someone offering to do something for you offensive? I understand that you may think it's a waste of time, but why offensive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Orchids&Dragons said:

How is someone offering to do something for you offensive? I understand that you may think it's a waste of time, but why offensive?

Because its equally disrespectful to my beliefs as it would be if I told someone there was no god when trying to comfort them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, elforman said:

Because its equally disrespectful to my beliefs as it would be if I told someone there was no god when trying to comfort them.

I don't get the parallel, but I'll think about it. Are you ok with positive thoughts/wishes sent your way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I don't get the parallel, but I'll think about it. Are you ok with positive thoughts/wishes sent your way?

That's fine. If it helps explain it, my problem is with people assuming that I believe in a god and that I should automatically appreciate their prayers. It is very presumptuous of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, elforman said:

That's fine. If it helps explain it, my problem is with people assuming that I believe in a god and that I should automatically appreciate their prayers. It is very presumptuous of them.

So are you ok will postive thoughts/wishes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see elformans pont. Think of another way - what if someone just nonchalantly offered to slaughter a chicken as a token of goodwill for your upcoming surgery? Or if someone offered to perform a ritual to their lord and master Satan? Many people would be aghast at the thought.

On the other hand, if someone said prayers were being done for me, I would just assume they meant positive thoughts and let it roll off my back. If someone is posting something that a is looking for support, offering to pray for someone is just that persons way of showing support. No different than saying Merry Christmas to a stranger who is actually Jewish. Take the comment as it was intended, not as an innuendo to convert another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, I love how my comment of slaughtering a chicken links to the BariatricPal Store. If I need to slaughter a chicken, at least I can do it in a bariatric friendly way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sosewsue61 said:

I think if you are an atheist why would it even matter?

Quite honestly, I find the presumption that I believe in the unprovable and the impossible to be insulting. I don't look down on anyone else who does believe because in virtually every case it's how they were raised and what they were taught to believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigViffer said:

lol, I love how my comment of slaughtering a chicken links to the BariatricPal Store. If I need to slaughter a chicken, at least I can do it in a bariatric friendly way.

It would be better had it linked to a recipe for Satanic Chicken. It's just like regular chicken but it's very, very spicy. Serve on your best pentagram-adorned china.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

No different than saying Merry Christmas to a stranger who is actually Jewish. Take the comment as it was intended, not as an innuendo to convert another.

I wish people Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah all the time, but only if I know that's what they Celebrate or there's an obvious sign such as a cross necklace or yarmulke on the head. I don't assume anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the thought behind it that counts, no one intends insult nor offense when offering a prayer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, elforman said:

only if I know that's what they Celebrate

i agree, you should not say merry christmas

or happy hannukah to everyone. there are

other religious days too - should not assume.

I always will say happy holidays, happy new year

there are OP that might not appreciate

those phrases either- oh well, can't please all the

people all the time

kathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well maybe if you know people well enough to discuss something as personal as weight loss surgery with them they should be close enough to you to be aware that you are atheist. I do not discuss my medical history with casual acquaintances and have only told a select group of about 10-15 people anything about my WLS. I would never mention it on any social media sites I frequent.

I do have friends that are atheist and I have no problem accepting their beliefs which are different from mine and I agree that it would be insensitive to say I would pray for them.

Edited by MIZ60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Psyllium husk is the sh*t! No really, it's my new go to for fiber in order to get regular. The nice thing is that it doesnt taste and is low in calories, so it's great for my shakes. It isn't expensive either and available in most grocery stores. Looking back on the forums, it seems to be FluffyChix favorite as well. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Rubenden

        https://beautifulpussy.pro/

    • Fairytail

      I had gastric sleeve surgery 5 years ago. My gastric reflux has recently got so bad that's the acid burns into my ears. I was given a lidocaine solution that would help with the burning pain in my throat. I spoke to my gastroenterologist about a procedure I saw online for the reflux.  She said I didn't qualify so I went to see the doctor that did this procedure who happens to be a bariatric doctor. He explained why I was not good for the procedure because I had a stricture in the esophagus a hiatal hernia. Due to the gastric sleeve the acid is being forced up into my throat. The doctor wants to do a bypass which should relieve that pressure. I am going for an upper GI tomorrow.  I was wondering if anyone else as experienced this. I am new here I do not go on social media so I don't know my way around I will try to find my way back here.
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        I was revised from a sleeve to a bypass 10 months out from my sleeve. I was waking up with acid in my mouth and burning the back of my nose. The bypass worked beautifully in eliminating the reflux. Oh, and to get back here, just google bariatricpal forums!

    • kdgarcia

      Surgery Next Tuesday!!!!!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      Hide and Seek? No....   If you have noticed, it’s been a little bit of stretch between posts. It’s not because I am not interested in blogging. I absolutely love sharing my journey with you.   You see, my world has changed! I now exercise every single morning with a 3 to 4-mile walk. I also now meal prep so I don’t fall into old habits.   I am also a bit hooked on closing my Apple Watch Fitness Rings! In fact, I am obsessed with doubling and tripling most of them.   So this does take up a lot of time and by the time you add work into the mix and family time, it becomes a shorter day.   Priorities are in order for me and I could not be happier.   So in the last week, I’ve been hitting goals that I never thought I would be able to hit again. I weigh myself on Sunday’s now. It’s just easier to do before I get dressed for church. It just feels good. I refuse to constantly get on the scale when I see everyday victories. Like getting back into clothes I never thought I could, or taking the time to just breathe and be grateful for the blessings I have in my life right now.   Continued on www.SabrinaGoddess.com
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • MissPennyP

      I’m confused 
      · 5 replies
      1. Orgasetiree

        https://eggharborfesthaus.com/desert-kitchen-nm.html

      2. JeffreyAlare

        https://mbig.com.ua/

      3. JeffreyAlare

        https://mbig.com.ua/

      4. Jameszew

        http://www.studiomerliniortodonzia.it/cgi-bin/bentelan.htm

      5. BrandonGep

        https://kinogo2.by/

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×