Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about DS surgery

Am still deciding on my surgery and had never really considered (or known much about) DS till I came here.

So, do most of you choose DS because its much harder to put on weight later?

Do you go into the surgery knowing that most likely you will have this foul smelling poo and horrible stinky fart problem I am reading about? This part scares the crap out of me.

What do you think are the pros/cons vs RNY. Both are such big decisions....

The answer to your first question is yes. Also to lose the most.

As for the stool and gas smells they're real, but mostly controlled by what you eat and when. I also carry strong spray to use in bathrooms and spray perfume in my pants pocket to spray my butt if I pass gas. Since I eat little to no carbs during the day I don't have this issue much.

Thanks so much Postop... I saw your photos and you look really amazing - well done!

Dunno - think the smell thing could be a deal breaker for me. I have 7yr twins and can imagine embarrassing them somewhere along the way...

Honestly, I haven't had the foul smelling poo or farting that others have experienced. The only time I have had an issue is when I was eating dairy before I found out I was lactose intolerant.

I do have Poo Pouri in my bathrooms just in case. And a travel size in my purse.

Same for me. I have yet to have an embarrassing smell incident in public or at work. About the worst so far is that things in the public restroom can be a bit...how do I say.... explosive, sound wise, and that can feel a little weird if there's someone in the stall next to me. "Courtesy flushing" is key. The Evil seems to only come out at night, especially in bed. My poor wife.... Its 90% my fault; I often "cheat" while watching TV by munching chips or popcorn. A few hours later and we're hitting the sack.... here comes The Evil.

I chose the mini-DS because I had already had two other failed procedures - Band then a VSG - (all paid for out-of-pocket!). I wanted the one with the highest success rate, that would take the weight off and keep it off. My surgeon said "In the arsenal of tools we have to fight obesity, SIPS is the biggest gun; It's the Bazooka."

Edited by disco stu

lol that was funny @discostu...

not quite sure I am up for the bazooka.... I may have to downgrade to the lowly shotgun..

I am not married and I don't think this surgery would go down too well with impending dates.

Wish it was a little more gentle.....

I don't know anything about the RNY, so can't help you there. Band is a complete waste of time (and messes up your life in the bargain). VSG works for some, but your best result is probably 60% of excess weight. ....and a high chance of it coming back. DS, the typical result is 90% loss of excess weight, and it stays off. My surgeon said he's never had a SIPs patient lose less than 100 lbs, and his practice is huge (there were forty people in my pre-op class. There are 3 surgeons doing 5-8 procedures a day, 4 days a week)

If you're single and looking to mingle, I'd think losing the weight would be job #1. As pretty much everyone on this board is saying, you can manage the gas; It just takes discipline. And lets be clear, even when things are bad, it's not like I'm spontaneous exploding. It's not incontinence, where things are just shooting out when I least expect it. I'm still 100% in control.

If you are dating and motivated to impress some hot stud (or Studette), you will be able to manage this...at least until you have your hooks in 'em. Just stay the hell away from the bread basket!

On 5/30/2018 at 10:46 AM, lessismore1001 said:

Thanks so much Postop... I saw your photos and you look really amazing - well done!

Dunno - think the smell thing could be a deal breaker for me. I have 7yr twins and can imagine embarrassing them somewhere along the way...

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I'd never say you're wrong. You need to live with what you can live with. Try writing a pros/cons list.

Edited by Postop

Hi all!

I had a band in 2006, revision to sleeve in 2015. Now having excrutiating nausea, GERD, heartburn, etc. Had the endoscopy PH study and am having reflux episodes/vomiting every 16 minutes!! Having an upper endoscopy tomorrow to rule out Barrett's. My doc gave me three options this morning.

1. Fix hiatal hernia and hope that works,

2. Revise sleeve to by pass and hope that works,

3. Do nothing and live with it.

I started at 234 pre band and have only lost 40 or so pounds and have lost and regained the weight many times over the past years. Considering taking all my records and getting a second opinion closer to home. My doc does not do a ds, so would like to hear what another surgeon may say about that.

Any words of wisdom??

Thank you!

HOW DOES THE DS LOSE MOST what's the science? It appears very similar to the RNY

14 hours ago, Mikeyy said:

HOW DOES THE DS LOSE MOST what's the science? It appears very similar to the RNY

@Mikeyy The difference is the malabsorption. With the DS, it's lifelong and much more than the RNY. It aids in keeping the weight off. Plus, you need to take many more vits/minerals and take in a lot more Protein due to the malabsorption (e.g. I eat every couple of hours and average 125-150mg/day of protein).

Edited by Postop

6 hours ago, Postop said:

@Mikeyy The difference is the malabsorption. With the DS, it's lifelong and much more than the RNY. It aids in keeping the weight off. Plus, you need to take many more vits/minerals and take in a lot more Protein due to the malabsorption (e.g. I eat every couple of hours and average 125-150mg/day of protein).

So even more severe malabsorption than RNY

@MikeyyMuch more. And lifelong. That's how it works to help keep the weight off.

On 5/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, Postop said:

The answer to your first question is yes. Also to lose the most.

As for the stool and gas smells they're real, but mostly controlled by what you eat and when. I also carry strong spray to use in bathrooms and spray perfume in my pants pocket to spray my butt if I pass gas. Since I eat little to no carbs during the day I don't have this issue much.

You got me on the part of sparying your butt :)

57 minutes ago, SAMMY1970 said:

You got me on the part of sparying your butt :)

I speak the truth!😁