Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow is my surgery! I’m terrified! Anyways, my bypass buddies who have already gone through the process, can you list me a few things you brought with you to the hospital and a list of things that you needed the first week once u we’re home as far as liquids and anything else. I’ve heard a few things already I just like to hear different ones and keep my options open!! Thank you in advance!!

If you have a tens unit for pain take it!!!! My shoulder pain was unbearable for 2 weeks & that was the only thing that got me through it!

Dry mouth spray and lip balm was a life saver post op.... they don't let you drink anything for several hours afterwards... so having something to sooth your lips and mouth really made a world of difference!

Good luck and Congrats!

Thank you

17 hours ago, toodlerue said:

If you have a tens unit for pain take it!!!! My shoulder pain was unbearable for 2 weeks & that was the only thing that got me through it!

Hi. Whats a tens unit?

I was gonna ask that as well

What is a Tens Unit?

TENS stands for (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation). which are predominately used for nerve related pain conditions (acute and chronic conditions). TENS machines work by sending stimulating pulses across the surface of the skin and along the nerve strands.

The stimulating pulses help prevent pain signals from reaching the brain. Tens devices also help stimulate your body to produce higher levels of its own natural painkillers, called "Endorphins".

I only used my robe, chapstick, phone charger, and eye mask. I definitely would have needed my dry-mouth spray, but they let me use a sponge dipped in ice Water to wet my mouth.

I never changed out of my gown and was too drugged/sleepy to read my kindle. I brought a couple pairs of PJ's but never wore them. Just the dress I wore home was all I needed, clothes-wise. I also brought heating pads for gas pain but ended up not having any gas pain, woohoo!

I used my phone, chapstick and pj bottoms for one overnight. I skipped the undies because it was difficult enough getting the pj’s up and down while juggling cords and IV, etc. 😉 Pj pants were very nice to have while walking around the floor. Lots of open doors and looky Lou’s!😮

I packed nightgowns which I never used until I went home in it lol (I didn’t have a dress and I didn’t want my pants to rub in my stitches)

The only thing I really used was my chapstick and my phone (and charger). Pack light!!!! I made the mistake of over packing and it was a pain to lug it home

I used my phone, chapstick and pj bottoms for one overnight. I skipped the undies because it was difficult enough getting the pj’s up and down while juggling cords and IV, etc. [emoji6] Pj pants were very nice to have while walking around the floor. Lots of open doors and looky Lou’s![emoji50]

LOL that made me laugh and you are so right

I had a gown that was big enough to tie closed, so I didn't bother with underwear. The hospital provided the fuzzy socks with tracks so I didn't need slippers. They also provided lip balm and let me have ice to melt in my mouth, so I had no issues with dry mouth. Because I was up and moving when I wasn't too tired/sore, I really didn't need anything more than my phone and cord. I wore the same outfit home that I wore in the morning before since it was barely worn. I would bring lip balm, phone, cord, and clothes to go home.

54 minutes ago, RapidFirePickle said:

I had a gown that was big enough to tie closed, so I didn't bother with underwear.

I didn't put on underwear for days post-op :lol::lol: Hey, I had a lot of pain and couldn't bend over!

So now you're the Little Green Commando? That outrank me in spades. KEEP HEALING!