Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Duodenal switch 8 weeks post op not hungry...ughh



Recommended Posts

I know its only been 2 months since Ive had the duodenal switch surgery plus i had my gall bladder removed and hiatal hernia repaired as well all at one time, but damn I just dont feel 100% better... I am not hungry at all, I hardly eat. I make myself stay hydrated and take my Vitamins of course , ALL of them! Thats a challenge but I Do it!:(

Its definitely a struggle, something I was not prepared for. Although I am losing weight for sure! but I am kind of weak as well during the day... probably because im not getting my Protein in, but like I said its hard to eat... I take 1 or 2 bites and I am full. Everything is tasteless to me too or I do not like it at all. All shakes are so gross to me anymore. Everything I smell cooking makes me walk out of the room because I cant stand the smells! weird huh??

I go see my surgeon on June 5th so I will discuss all of this with him, but I have sent emails to my surgeon's office and described a little of what what was going on and the PA told me that its normal to only be able to eat 2 bites of something and feel full.

I just hate feeling so worn down and definitely don't feel myself. Am I panicking for nothing? Is it way too early after surgery to feel like I should be 100% better? Its not even been 8 weeks.... so I am wondering does it take longer to feel better and normal?

any suggestions would be so helpful. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is normal. Everyone varies, however, I couldn't eat 50 grams of protein/day till I was about 6 months out. I was tired, too.

Do you take Iron?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Postop said:

This is normal. Everyone varies, however, I couldn't eat 50 grams of protein/day till I was about 6 months out. I was tired, too.

Do you take Iron?

Thank you for responding.. and yes i take 3 Multivitamins a day with Iron the Bariatric Advantage ones. I may need extra iron since I am anemic . Ill ask the doc that when I see him. I will be glad when I can get up and do things like I used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I empathize with you big time. I am a month out and I have severe food aversion. Somethings I am okay with and others make me gag. I haven't had one shake since surgery - I lost my taste for anything sweet and I shudder at the thought of drinking another one. The nutritionist at my Dr's office told me that it's normal.

Have you tried bipro Protein Water? It's got 20g of protein and it comes in 2 flavors. It has saved me on the protein front for the days I'm not hungry.

You got this, girl. :):1321_punch_tone2::784_peace:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Glamgirl said:

Thank you for responding.. and yes i take 3 Multivitamins a day with Iron the Bariatric Advantage ones. I may need extra Iron since I am anemic . Ill ask the doc that when I see him. I will be glad when I can get up and do things like I used to.

Definitely ask re: iron. I was taking a supplement at about 6 weeks.

Remember, what’s in multis isn’t nearly enough for a DSer, I barely count it. The real money is in the individual supplements. :)

Edited by Postop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Postop said:

Definitely ask re: Iron. I was taking a supplement at about 6 weeks.

Remember, what’s in multis isn’t nearly enough for a DSer, I barely count it. The real money is in the individual supplements. :)

Ahh I see. Yes they gave me a list on what to take.. so my regimen is: 1800 of Calcium a day( chewables 4 a day), Bcomplex but not necessary, and then the the Bariatric Advantage multi (3 a day) with iron and thats it. Should I be taking more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, RaniaOnTheRun said:

I empathize with you big time. I am a month out and I have severe food aversion. Somethings I am okay with and others make me gag. I haven't had one shake since surgery - I lost my taste for anything sweet and I shudder at the thought of drinking another one. The nutritionist at my Dr's office told me that it's normal.

Have you tried bipro Protein Water? It's got 20g of Protein and it comes in 2 flavors. It has saved me on the protein front for the days I'm not hungry.

You got this, girl. :):1321_punch_tone2::784_peace:

Thank you! and yeah it sucks doesn't it?? shakes.... Ughhhhhh but haven't tried the bipro Water ... ill have to try it out... anything is worth a try! Thank you for your words of encouragement an I am glad I am not alone in feeling this way... .. and yes I have no taste for anything.

Do you get that water at a Vitamin shop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2018 at 11:39 AM, Glamgirl said:

Ahh I see. Yes they gave me a list on what to take.. so my regimen is: 1800 of Calcium a day( chewables 4 a day), Bcomplex but not necessary, and then the the Bariatric Advantage multi (3 a day) with Iron and thats it. Should I be taking more?

I checked my Vitamin list at that time. It was less than what they require of newbies now, though:

  • Your Calcium (must be citrate) is about mine.
  • I was taking ADEK. Since I don't think you are and most don't any more, I'd add A and D. The A must be palmitate, retinol or acetate. And the D must be cholecalciferol. They can't be mixed in one pill. Also no gel caps. Must be a pill or capsule;
  • Many don't take E or K. I do as I had nosebleeds early on (hence the K) and lost most of my sense of taste in 2016 (hence the E). You can wait and see how those go if you like;
  • I also took an Urso daily to prevent gb issues. Ha! Three years later it had to come out;
  • And 1 iron pill each day (it's been 2 for years now but then it was 1). No food, pills, drink for 1 hour before/after. I recommend taking it with 1000 Vitamin C to increase the absorption;
  • Most of use don't need B;
  • Are you thinking about a probiotic?

Edited by Postop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it is normal as others have said. I had no desire for food and to add insult to my misery...I can no longer do ANY TYPE of artificial sugar after DS surgery. Protein shakes/water ran thru me like a freight train so I had to force feed myself to get my protein in. I started watching the Food Network and similar channels to make myself desire food again and it worked (very small amounts at a time). My DS (gallbladder removal too) surgery was 06/28/17 I’ve lost 126 pounds. Today, I can only get in about seven bites each time I eat so my protein/fat intake must be first. Don’t get me wrong some days I can eat thru a grocery store. You sound like you’re where I was; couple of bites and no appetite. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be 11 weeks out tomorrow post Bilopancreatic Deudonal Switch and I still have trouble somedays getting my fluid/protein in. There are days I have to make myself eat and some days I will be starving for one of my mini meals. I feel that my weight loss has been slower than what I would like however my surgeon says I'm in the range of what he wanted to see. He says some have lost more and some have lost less. As far as the taste I still don't feel that my taste buds are like they were before surgery. Also for the Vitamins Bariatric Advantage has a Vitamin that is specifically for DS patients (High ADEK Multi capsule) and I only have to take 2 a day with an added Iron and Calcium.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2018 at 3:56 PM, Postop said:

I checked my Vitamin list at that time. It was less than what they require of newbies now, though:

  • Your Calcium (must be citrate) is about mine.
  • I was taking ADEK. Since I don't think you are and most don't any more, I'd add A and D. The A must be palmitate, retinol or acetate. And the D must be cholecalciferol. They can't be mixed in one pill. Also no gel caps. Must be a pill or capsule;
  • Many don't take E or K. I do as I had nosebleeds early on (hence the K) and lost most of my sense of taste in 2016 (hence the E). You can wait and see how those go if you like;
  • I also took an Urso daily to prevent gb issues. Ha! Three years later it had to come out;
  • And 1 Iron pill each day (it's been 2 for years now but then it was 1). No food, pills, drink for 1 hour before/after. I recommend taking it with 1000 Vitamin C to increase the absorption;
  • Most of use don't need B;
  • Are you thinking about a probiotic?

thanks for the info! I so appreciate it!!! I go to doc tomorrow and ill discuss it with him and then my nutritionist as well. I do try and eat yogurt sometimes but only one teaspoon full and i cant take anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, HopeFaith said:

Yes, it is normal as others have said. I had no desire for food and to add insult to my misery...I can no longer do ANY TYPE of artificial sugar after DS surgery. Protein shakes/water ran thru me like a freight train so I had to force feed myself to get my Protein in. I started watching the food Network and similar channels to make myself desire food again and it worked (very small amounts at a time). My DS (gallbladder removal too) surgery was 06/28/17 I’ve lost 126 pounds. Today, I can only get in about seven bites each time I eat so my protein/fat intake must be first. Don’t get me wrong some days I can eat thru a grocery store. You sound like you’re where I was; couple of bites and no appetite. Good luck!

Thanks! I don't feel alone for sure now! congrats on the weight loss!!! I try and force feed myself and its so difficult!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Faith2002 said:

I will be 11 weeks out tomorrow post Bilopancreatic Deudonal Switch and I still have trouble somedays getting my fluid/protein in. There are days I have to make myself eat and some days I will be starving for one of my mini meals. I feel that my weight loss has been slower than what I would like however my surgeon says I'm in the range of what he wanted to see. He says some have lost more and some have lost less. As far as the taste I still don't feel that my taste buds are like they were before surgery. Also for the Vitamins Bariatric Advantage has a Vitamin that is specifically for DS patients (High ADEK Multi capsule) and I only have to take 2 a day with an added Iron and Calcium.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

thank you! I wonder if we ever get our tastebuds back? LOL Like I aid I don't really have any desire for any type of food...nothing has taste to me. my stomach growls but I'm not hungry so.. its all so weird to me. If I felt better then I would be much better to adapt to not wanting to eat. So im hoping something changes in the future to where I can eat and be able to handle it and feel some energy. Yes Im taking the Vitamins like they told me to take ... most are Bariatric Advantage ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Glamgirl Sure thing.

BTW, when I asked about a probiotic I was referring to a pill. Maybe ask your team how they feel about it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Postop said:

@Glamgirl Sure thing.

BTW, when I asked about a probiotic I was referring to a pill. Maybe ask your team how they feel about it ?

ohhh ok lol... sorry i got confused! Yes I will ask them about that tomorrow! thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Mousiana

      Hate thinking about foods I used to love... Burgers & wings. Gotta stay focused. 😤
      · 1 reply
      1. WilliamZef

        https://gayxxx24.com - GayXXX Free Gay Porn Movies & Videos Free Gay XXX - Gay XXX.

    • Arabesque

      Went to see the Star Wars movie yesterday. (Glad I waited as no one else was in the cinema for the midday session - yes!) Hadn’t been to the cinema for a few months and OMG I suffered the most terrible butt pain.  So uncomfortable. Started after 30 mins. Was in the premium cinema so grabbed a cushion to sit on but it didn’t help. Ended up sitting sideways in the chair, stretched out on an ottoman. Soooo super glad no one else was there. Sometimes I do miss my old butt fat cushioning... but not really. 
      · 1 reply
      1. Panda333

        ha..I have that issue too.....miss my built in pillow!

    • Hollyh

      Approved surgery in am yea!
      · 3 replies
      1. Combowep

        https://blog.earny.me

      2. Tobencah

        Hello

      3. Tobencah

        Hello

    • maggie78

      I have a surgery date, I have my next doctor appointment on Wed and then Thursday I start my 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I am very nervous right now. I know it's going to be a tough mind game. 
      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        💚 Congratulations, you'll do great 💚

    • SabrinaGoddess

      Week 5 Post Op Report

      What a journey! I am 5 weeks from surgery and a total of 24.4 pounds down!

      I feel amazing! I’ve incorporated a ton of walking and I’m using my Apple Watch to help me along! I have closed all three of my fitness rings for 11 days straight! Ok, so I am in LOVE with my Apple Watch. I've had it for almost a year and I am just now tapping into it's fitness power!

      I keep on top of my protein, vitamins and biotin!

      I struggle with water but I average about 50 ounces a day. I have only had one day where I had to “purge” because something did not agree with me. Tuna and my Tiny Tummy still do not agree so I’m going to leave it alone for a while!

      I walk on average a little more than 3 miles a day for my exercise but manage to get in at least 13,000-17,000 steps a day depending on how my schedule goes.

      I get up every hour and walk around for at least five minutes. Then if I’m watching a show I get up and walk in place during the commercials!

      I meet with my doc this week for a progress report.

      I have one more week before I graduate from soft foods to the final phase!

      I’ve got my cookbooks ready, my food scale ready and my measuring plates ready!

      I could NOT be more happy with my progress! I feel amazing and I’m grateful to have this tool!

      None Scale Victory: My rings on my finger are spinning!




      · 3 replies
      1. Krimsonbutterflies

        Sabrina, you are doing so well. I'm truly inspired and equally excited for you. The view you shared is breathtaking and relaxing, I'm in love with the ocean. Please keep sharing. Where did you find the trackers and how do I access them? My date is approaching the 31st, I'm in liquid diet mode. I see my surgeon on the 17th. Any advice?

      2. SabrinaGoddess

        You got this sis! You totally do.
        The ocean is so peaceful. Some days I get blessed with seeing whales, dolphins and seals. It is truly amazing.

        You can go to under our name at the top left section and click "TICKERS" you can create them there. Then when you lose weight you just go to "my surgery" and change your weight and they will adjust.

        On the liquids, do sugar free pop-cycles. They are more like a treat than a liquid and they count as 2 ounces each! Liquids not the funnest part of our journey but who cares....LOL. I do like the IsoPure clear liquid protein drinks, you can get them at GNC. The flavors are ok. I also LOVED Kettle and FIre Broth and Epic Broths so I drank them all the time, it's good for you. It's BONE BROTH. Kinda pricey but the good stuff usually is.

      3. Krimsonbutterflies

        Thank you for the encouragement/positivity!!! I'm going to conquer this liquid phase, moment by moment. I also appreciate the mini tutorial of how to get the ticker. I'm thinking of starting status updates after my pre-op visit with the surgeon on Friday. I really enjoy the personal perspective and experience being shared, without feeling like the thread is being dominated. I look forward to how each person is approaching the wls lifestyle. Thank you lady, good night. Happy Whale watching. I love seeing the dolphins at Hermosa Beach.

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×