Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days post-op. Depressed and struggling

At this point, try to forget about work for at least a week. You may feel much better next week and the week after. Don’t assume how you feel now will be how you feel in two weeks. Since you were asking for more time at the outset before knowing how you would feel, it may be a self fulfilling prophesy.

If you get to the date when you have to return to work and can’t do it, talk to your Bariatric team in person. Don’t hold back your emotions. Mental Health is just as important as physical health.

strawberry I know it’s really hard but I agree with everyone else please ask for help if you need it even just to talk to someone will help you. I have also suffered from depression since I was a kid exercising helps even when it seems impossible if you could just walk around the block you’ll feel so much better. Also remember there was a lot of estrogen in your fat and you’re losing it so your hormones are all out of whack and you’re very emotional and moody everyone goes through it remember it’s temporary and you will get through this, One day at a time

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:52 PM, StrawberryLaray said:

I did start seeing a counselor last week but I just don't know if it's enough time to get me mentally well enough to go back to work in two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

ask if they think you need a mild antidepressant, that may help

I don't mean to sound stubborn but I am done being a Guinea pig. The last ones made me so crazy that I destroyed my family. The ones before that did not work very well or really I don't believe they work at all. I also worked in the mental health field for 5 years and I did not see much of any true improvement from them with my clients.

1 hour ago, StrawberryLaray said:

I don't mean to sound stubborn but I am done being a Guinea pig. The last ones made me so crazy that I destroyed my family. The ones before that did not work very well or really I don't believe they work at all. I also worked in the mental health field for 5 years and I did not see much of any true improvement from them with my clients.

That's fair enough. My sister did very poorly on multiple antidepressants too, and finds she copes better without the chemical interference. I have been on a very low dose of effexor for the past few years once I accepted that I just wasn't improving mentally after having my second child (we had two losses in between and a traumatic birth and first week which I expect had something to do with it, plus when I had a mirena put in it messed me up completely and triggered anxiety too).

Regarding your current foods: I don't do well with very sweet things either, especially post surgery. Home made pureed Soups made with home made gelatin-rich chicken stock where what kept me going through my liquid phase, along with a morning Decaf coffee and less-sweet and non-milky Protein waters. I now have a good collagen hydrolysate supplement (derived from beef gelatin) which dissolves really well in hot and cold liquids and doesn't add any noticeable taste. I read earlier that you don't use meat-derived broths, but perhaps you can find a similarly tasteless or savoury vegetarian supplement that you can have in your soups or vegetable broth?

If you move on to puree phase in a few days you may find that helps you feel better and a little more yourself. Things like hummus and seasoned mashed avocado are lovely in purees. And thick hearty soups.

I hope things improve for you soon. We are all here cheering you on from the sidelines :) *hugz*