Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Failure - Revision in 2 weeks

Hello all! Today I start my 2 week pre-op diet for a revision from the sleeve to gastric bypass. My sleeve was 12/2012 and I’ve had nothing but problems and a terrible doctor (ugh). Well I stopped with that doctor soon after the surgery (LONG STORY) and was followed by my PCP. Other Bariatric doctors would not follow me because of the original doctor. Finally a doctor who had worked with both my Mom and Dad agreed to see me. It was like a consult about my weight loss and habits. That was in 2015 ish. I continued to have problems like severe heartburn and nausea. Finally they did an endoscopy and found a large stricture. Who knows how long it’s been that way. Because of the multiple problems insurance agreed to pay for the revision. First, I’m furious that I even have to get the revision. I thought I was playing it safer with that procedure. I did lose 90 pounds but still need to take off another 40-50 lbs. Who knows how long the stricture has been there. Now I have a great doctor!!!! I’m so happy about that because I need that consistent follow up and a doctor who will LISTEN to me. I’m just discouraged because the sleeve failed. Now I’m not sure what to expect. I do KNOW that a better doctor with good follow-up is essential. Any feedback on sleeve to bypass revision because of complications is more than welcome.

Sorry to hear that you had so many problems. Hoping it's all smooth sailing from here on out!

So Sorry to hear, Hopefully going forward your journey will be much better.

Im also going for a revision sleeve to by pass. keep me posted.

Best Wishes !!

Hi! I am 12 days post op my sleeve to bypass. I feel great now and the recovery was good. I was a lucky one whom experienced no gas pains.

i can’t tell you about eating though because my doc has me on a 3 week liquid diet lost op.

I had my revision due to weight gain, no restriction & GERD. It seems like these revisions are becoming more frequent

2 hours ago, Bryn910 said:

Hi! I am 12 days post op my sleeve to bypass. I feel great now and the recovery was good. I was a lucky one whom experienced no gas pains.

i can’t tell you about eating though because my doc has me on a 3 week liquid diet lost op.

I had my revision due to weight gain, no restriction & GERD. It seems like these revisions are becoming more frequent

Happy Healing, i have heard revisions are becoming more common ( from the sleeve). im excited and nervous i have the sleeve and i barely eat as is.

I literally just posted this somewhere else, but I am also going from a sleeve revision to bypass next week! 5/30. The surgeon didn't take out enough of my stomach. I had the sleeve on March 28th, 2016. I went from 250 to 180, back up to 265, now 245 hoping to get to my goal of 150. The new surgeon said, after looking at my upper GI series that my stomach didn't even look like it had been sleeved. I was furious, and he also said it wasn't from stretching, simply enough was not taken out. I also suffer from acid reflux. Best of luck to you! If you want to message me and keep in touch, please do! I am on day 8 of the liquid diet.

Edited by miss_smiles

The earlier sleeves drs were not super consistent with practices on how to make sleeves and there was not a universal tool so drs would leave some of the stretchy part of the stomach behind now things are much more universal I’m sorry you guys had bad experiences I’m going with bypass mostly because I already have gerd so happy trails y’all

This is what I’m constantly afraid of. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this!

Sleeve in 2014, converting to bypass 6/26 due to reflux and damage it has caused. I am super nervous due to complications I had after my sleeve, but am hoping for the best.

I had my sleeve to bypass revision on 5/22. I was sore the first few days but I was also up and walking. Thanks to my husband for getting me out of the house and walking. I have a desk job and was able to return to work a week after surgery. I have lots of energy but still try to limit what I do because I don’t want to hurt myself since I’m still healing. I haven’t been hungry or craving food even when I make dinner for the family I’m not tempted to taste it. I have been getting my fluids in. I find that sugar free Jello does not agree with me. Nor does the sugar free popsicles. I’m hoping the surgeon advances my diet tomorrow because I feel I’m ready to start trying new flavors.